Sliders and Named Positions...

Please forgive my ignorance on this.

I've searched but couldn't find anything that gives a definitive answer.

I've been experimenting with tactics and I tend not to stick to rigid 442's and 433's etc.

I play players all over the place, i.e a lone striker but to the left or right of middle, not absolute middle.

I find this helps players with space etc.

Anyway, in my current team, I play David Silva in the AMR position (I retrained him as he's a left footer and wanted a 'cheaper' Messi).

Positionally, I have him in AMR and as an INSIDE FORWARD - so he cuts in field.

However, I decided that looking through the various decriptions of positions, I thought away from home games, he'd be better as a defensive winger.

What I then found myself doing was tweaking the sliders to what I wanted.

I also decided his wing play would still be better as 'cut inside' so clicked that.

I found that my settings for 'defensive midfielder' were almost exactly the same as the pre-set 'inside forward'!!!

I've not noticed any change in how he plays either...

So is there any point to it?

Is there hidden changes that mean an inside forward will play differently to a defensive winger or other?

If I can change sliders etc and make an inside forward the exact same as a defensive winger - what's the point in that?

Or is there actually signifcant change in the mental approach/tactics of that player that means they do actually play more defensively/attacking - ever though the sliders are the same?

Cheers for any guidance.

positioningly they will play differently...

bear in mind the sliders are simply instructions on how to play...

i.e 'make forward runs rarely' would potentially be the same for both a dmc and an inside forward...

they'll play differently because they are in different positions on the pitch.. ie... putting a player at amr will naturally make him attacking minded...

so, in a sense... yes... the sliders may be the same... but so are the players roles in a way... inside forwards arent wingers... they sit in a hole and wait for a ball to create passages of play..... and a dmc sits in a hole and waits to break up play and pass the ball on...

So you're saying that if I put a player in the AMR position, I could call him an inside forward or a winger and make the sliders and instructions the same BUT they WILL PLAY DIFFERENTLY?

Personally, I have my doubts, which is why I started the thread I guess.

Just by fluke really that I thought about this.

It's the same with any position - like DMC - I could say make him an anchor man but then tweak the sliders to make the anchor man do slightly more (or less) and then save the tactic, then think, actually, he might be better as a deep lying play maker, then tweak his tactics to suit and in theory, they could end up being exactly the same as the anchor mans - in this situation, the only difference apparently to each tactic is what you're calling the player.

I'm therefore really dubious that there is any change to the way the player plays.

AFAIK sliders determine how player will play and act on the pitch.

Player roles are there to help user choose role from several pre-set combination of sliders.

It helps new user to understand what sliders do and how change of player roles are reflected by slider positions.

If you would be new FM user and figure that "I want to use messi as inside forward" then it's rather difficult to work out how much creative freedom or what exact mentality you should give him. Now you can take inside forward slider positions as defaults and if you really want, can try to fine-tune them further. Slider system is cursed as being too complex and difficult for beginners in previous FM versions so this is one way to solve this problem.

If you are expert in the game and tweak all sliders yourself, it's up to you.

Im no expert, nor a novice and I don't find the sliders complicated at all.

The point I think I'm trying to make is that if you preferred an inside forward in the AMR position, then tweaked the sliders etc too much, essentially, the set up of the sliders could easily become the exact same as those pre-set for a winger - I mean, you can override the wingers to 'cut inside' rather than 'hug touch line' - and then tweak the sliders and you might aswell have him as an inside forward because it's exactly the same?!

Archived