Foreign players and lack of knowledge of the new club language

Hi, I bought Alexis Sanchez from Udinese to Man Utd, as I expected he didn't speak a single a single word in English. Now it's been exactly a year and a half since his arrival and his English level is not even basic.

How long does it takes for a player to learn a new language (especially English)?

I know the adaptability attribute plays an important role here, but does the press conference question regarding the importance of the player's lack of english language knowledge is a factor here? Because when I was asked about this with Alexis I said to the media that it didn't matter, however when I was asked this question regarding a Greek player I bought, I answered that the lack of English knowledge was a problem. The result, the Greek player is now fluent and Alexis can't even say hello to his teamates.

Regarding Alexis I'm very pleased with his development and his performance on the pitch, he is a key member of my squad. So is language knowledge just cosmetic?

And my last question, what can I do to help a player learn a new language? I wish I could hire an English teacher at the club XD.

I know many questions in one post is annoying, so thanks in advance for anyone who can answer.

Language knowledge is NOT cosmetic. Players who cannot speak the same language, will often struggle to 'gel' together. Thus making them quite innefective. ALthough as long as they are playing well then you should be alright.

Carlos Tevez barely speaks basic English after about 4 years here so it happens IRL as well.

Hi, I bought Alexis Sanchez from Udinese to Man Utd, as I expected he didn't speak a single a single word in English. Now it's been exactly a year and a half since his arrival and his English level is not even basic.

How long does it takes for a player to learn a new language (especially English)?

I know the adaptability attribute plays an important role here, but does the press conference question regarding the importance of the player's lack of english language knowledge is a factor here? Because when I was asked about this with Alexis I said to the media that it didn't matter, however when I was asked this question regarding a Greek player I bought, I answered that the lack of English knowledge was a problem. The result, the Greek player is now fluent and Alexis can't even say hello to his teamates.

Regarding Alexis I'm very pleased with his development and his performance on the pitch, he is a key member of my squad. So is language knowledge just cosmetic?

And my last question, what can I do to help a player learn a new language? I wish I could hire an English teacher at the club XD.

I know many questions in one post is annoying, so thanks in advance for anyone who can answer.

Do you have someone that speaks Spanish in your squad? They may be able to communicate through them?

This is one area where FIFA Manager is stronger: for players that don't speak your clubs language, you had the option of buying an interpreter for them. Also, you could build a language school that helped them learn faster. I'd like to see something like this in future versions of FM.

Depends of the players adaptability and for some players its quicker than others. Bernardo still hasn't learnt English and thats just over a year same with Zeman at basic level but they were my 2 best performers as well so it doesn't affect you play too much. Unless they can't settle in the area.

This is one area where FIFA Manager is stronger: for players that don't speak your clubs language, you had the option of buying an interpreter for them. Also, you could build a language school that helped them learn faster. I'd like to see something like this in future versions of FM.

I would say that there would be something like that in the non football costs of the club. I have no idea why you would build a language school to teach one player the language. I think that players should have more of a role, or coaches, like Queiroz and Christiano Ronaldo at Man Utd

I would say that there would be something like that in the non football costs of the club. I have no idea why you would build a language school to teach one player the language. I think that players should have more of a role, or coaches, like Queiroz and Christiano Ronaldo at Man Utd

A language school would teach all your players the language of the club.

Archived