Are you loyal to your players?

Do you keep the players that are "decent" for the league you are in or get rid of them to make way for good or leading star players?

I usually get rid of them but I kept one of them and he has been better than some of the leading star players. He scored both my goals in a 2-1 win :)

i could say i am, i always keep a player if they haven't turned into disaster, also if there is a strong reason for me to sell them

im now playing as Zurich FC and are in the year 2018

now 7 out of 11 first team players are still the same players back in the 2010/11 era

most of them have at least played 9++ years under my management

There's actually NO REASON to keep players just because they're decent. I'm not sure the game takes into account the fact they've been around for a while etc.

Just keep aiming to get players of better CA and you're onto a winner. It's crude and it's not always the way to go in real life - but the factors involved in real life (like the player being happy in the area, speaking the language etc) are under stated in the game. This means it isn't much of a risk to buy the best players.

There's actually NO REASON to keep players just because they're decent.

I beg to differ. Case in point:

I currently have a player with a max PA of 119 (I know this becase I do frequent updates in the editor.) Ordinarily I'd look to dump him, but so far this season he's averaging a 7.18 rating after 21 games, and with his contract expiring in the off-season I made the decision to re-sign him. He'll never be anything other than a "decent" player, but as long as he keeps being productive for me, I'll keep him around.

Not at all. By second season's first window end, about a half are gone (most of reserves and 1st team deadwood) with a third of youth being loaned out. Come third season, you'd probably find four to six, seven of the original (non-youth) setup still employed. :) It's a bit difficult to get them to gel, but it usually pays off in the end.

But I don't usually play top-flight clubs so it's quite easy to find someone better than what I have.

I beg to differ. Case in point:

I currently have a player with a max PA of 119 (I know this becase I do frequent updates in the editor.) Ordinarily I'd look to dump him, but so far this season he's averaging a 7.18 rating after 21 games, and with his contract expiring in the off-season I made the decision to re-sign him. He'll never be anything other than a "decent" player, but as long as he keeps being productive for me, I'll keep him around.

My point is if you get a player with a higher PA, like 140, the average rating will in all likelihood be better. So your team will benefit more.

FM is a numbers game unfortunately. The more CA you have the better you are. As simple as that really, as long as the players are in the right positions.

I want to sell this one play for 2 million, I always get him every game because he's a lethal striker for lower leagues. He was the captain one season, and is a club favorite, most of his teammates like him, and he is very loyal.

I'm afraid of the consequences of selling such a guy, I think he may be better used as a tutor.

I find that sometimes I am too loyal for example im currently managing Notts county on a save in season 6 now after 3 succesive promotions from the football league and 7th and 5th place finishes in the prem I still have, Jordan Rhodes, Alex Smithies and Robbie Van der Laat who all played games in league 2 still feel they have roles to play and couldnt part with them unless the price offered was ridiculous

My point is if you get a player with a higher PA, like 140, the average rating will in all likelihood be better. So your team will benefit more.

FM is a numbers game unfortunately. The more CA you have the better you are. As simple as that really, as long as the players are in the right positions.

This is why I would never use FMRTE or similar. I don't want to know the PA of my players beyond how they perform for me on the pitch.

Its more, I don't know... romantic?... to have won a league with players that you've stuck with, despite knowing that potentially there are better out there.

I think Min/maxing FM takes the fun out of it.

I'll keep them till they get unhappy.

In my save, I'm England manager(as well as a club job I rock at), and I've been keeping Jack Rodwell in the team, when he's 35/36 and probably not even in the top 2 or 3 players in his position for the team anymore. But he was captain for a while, so I stayed loyal to him. Got him to 130 caps aswell. I wish he'd retire now though, I'd kinda like to pick someone else without feeling guilty about it!

The more CA you have the better you are.

Can't agree with that :)

It has more to do with suitability of player attributes within the roles and positions you're using them in. Higher CA is handy of course, because it provides the likelihood that overall attributes will be higher. The problem is, that's no guarantee that it will all be in the most suitable attributes for their position or role...

as long as the players are in the right positions.

...which is why I agree with this more.

To give you an idea, I've managed to sign players with pretty average CA by Premiership standards, with a club like Man Utd, yet they perform better than some of the highest CA players. This is because I look at the attributes in relation to the role they're going to perform.

In essence, this is one of the reasons when I look in Tactics & Training or Good Players & Teams forums, I'm never surprised how often I see people complain about a "top" player under-performing. The likelihood is perhaps more, that although they have great overall attributes (hence CA), they're not suited to the roles people are trying to use them with.

With regards to the OP in this respect, I'm not very loyal with players at the start. I'm only interested in those who are most suited to my own tactical preferences. If they don't fit the bill, then I get rid of them as swiftly as possible. This is more the case in lower league saves, where more often than not, I find I've only one or two players (if I'm lucky) who suit my tactics. When that's the case, a "new brush sweeps clean". ;)

The beauty of the Tactics Creator in FM10, is that all the key player attributes are highlighted for you, when you look through the different roles and positions. :thup:

Agree totally with healthxxx, I used a scout to find out CA/PA in FM08 and it ruined my enjoyment, I knew too much! Furthermore you will miss out on some of the most effective players if you only look at CA/PA. A good example of this is Javier Saviola - i'm sure he has quite a good CA but not one of the best in the world, yet I signed him as a poacher and he averaged nearly a goal a game in the Premier league! His attributes are just perfect for this position, better than anyone else i've seen, despite i'm sure others have higher CA.

Back to the OP, there's no room for loyalty in the first 6 months, but by the end of the year I can't help but have affections for some players. In my wolves save (10.1), Christophe Berra was still playing for me in a champions league semi-final in the fourth season! I'm sure his CA would have been a good 10 points lower than the rest of my CBs but I knew I could rely on him and he acquitted himself really well. Similarly one of my first signings, Kevin Thomson, is still my captain and starts all the big games despite being rating as the 5th/6th best CM by my assistant... Again, he's a great ball winner and does that job expertly.

This is why I would never use FMRTE or similar. I don't want to know the PA of my players beyond how they perform for me on the pitch.

Its more, I don't know... romantic?... to have won a league with players that you've stuck with, despite knowing that potentially there are better out there.

I think Min/maxing FM takes the fun out of it.

That's what I think.

You don't need FMRTE if you have a good scouting system in place.

Also true.

I once had a striker in the BSP who was still with the team in the Championship, he had a knack for scoring late goals. If I was 1-0 down, there was no one else I'd rather have on the pitch.

I dread to think what his CA was.

I'm generally loyal to any player who (largely) comes through the ranks - there's 2-3 squad players in my team whom I could improve upon by selling, but then I wouldn't have any squad players. Squad player one can play at centre-back, defensive midfield, right-back and right-wing so he's always useful; squad player two is an attacking midfielder also capable of playing in defensive midfield or right-wing, although I don't trust him there but can do a job if necessary. Squad player three is a left-footed Dirk Kuyt who's not very good but chases down and harasses the whole flank and is willing to put a tackle in or foul. All came through the ranks and they generally don't disappoint although they're generally amongst the worst performers at the end of the season on average (my first-choice striker is challenging them though :().

Also any player that does really well gets to retire at his own accord - I'll never transfer-list them unless they request it.

Loyalty to me basically means that "I'll never transfer-list you unless you want it; as long as you do OK you'll get games; and I'll look to play you and not freeze you out as long as you stay consistent". Moderately-tight leash basically.

That said, squad player 2 is outstanding against weak opposition, like a lesser version of my best attacking midfielder but equally devastating against poor opposition. Got into double-figures last season and I can trust him to start against the best teams in Italy as long as he has form.

Well, he does have competition from a 17 y.o. with -8 PA (they're both back-ups/rotation players) but the youngster is only averaging a 6.8 after 20 or so games. Unless he boosts his production/rating I'll give the other player the nod, regardless of where they stand (in terms of CA/PA.)

I recently had to offload a nice Welsh striker that had played for my side since 2012 (Now in 2026). Sure as hell wasn't easy, and the fact that he hasn't managed to find a new club yet makes it even more sad. Hopefully some club will buy him sooner or later, or I'll have to hire him again and use him for my reserves.

Still has a defender who I also hired back in 2012. Hopefully he will become a decent staff member later on, so he can stay after he retires.

It depends on a number of factors to be fair. What my ambitions are, what funds are available as well as a few more factors that contribute but I mostly keep the good players and normally bring in a good solid squad before adding any exceptional players to the team! Take MK Dons for example. Decent Team that I've just started a new save with, got 50k to play about with so can't exactley but 2 or 3 good players for this level. MY ambitions are play offs though and the squad hasn't really got any outstanding individuals in it so I may consider selling my star asset to bring funds to the club and but a couple of very good players! Simple! :)

I try and keep the best players for value and wage and reasonable potential. I try and usually offload older players who I don't want and feel won't add to the team and get the best price while I still can. I am loyal after I had built up a decent squad an then only usually make 2 or 3 signings a season.

In lower league games I'm ruthless. I will sell any player no matter how good he is if the money is big enough as I'm always confident I can replace him and more with the money I'd get.

When managing a bigger team I usually bring in about 3-5 players a season selling those they replaced. I always keep a spine of players in the bigger clubs.

I'm fairly loyal to the players I like, fringe players get thrown away but the ones who have scored a lot of goals or who are/were captains I will keep around. I have a guy who I've had on my Gateshead save since January 2010. I threw him into a few Prem games because of an injury crisis, he managed to score in one of them. His CA is sub 100 but he is just a class player, he almost got a goal every two games in the championship as well

I find that sometimes I am too loyal for example im currently managing Notts county on a save in season 6 now after 3 succesive promotions from the football league and 7th and 5th place finishes in the prem I still have, Jordan Rhodes, Alex Smithies and Robbie Van der Laat who all played games in league 2 still feel they have roles to play and couldnt part with them unless the price offered was ridiculous

this is football being loyal to average players who can't cut it at the top will get you the sack.

There's two discussions going on here it seems.

1) Are you loyal to players who may or may not deserve a place on your team?

2) Can you get by with players who may not be up to your club's standards - CA wise - by being very selective about their skill sets?

I think the answer to #1 is totally subjective, and given that - for the most part - this is a single player game, however people want to enjoy the game they're more than welcome to. I like to keep my players if I can, but if it comes down to "I need to replace this guy or else I won't reach my goals" then he's gone. That simple.

The answer to #2 is more cut and dry. The answer is yes. If your tactics call for highly specialized players to do highly specialized jobs, then they can have lower CA because in said roles they aren't using the attributes they're poor at. At least not much. Will they be the world's greatest players at their positions? Probly not. But your team will win games and you will be effective. It does help to have a star or two to build your team around, but the rest can be roleplayers and you'll be alright.

I'm loyal to players. I read on here about some peoples Arsenal saves and they sell loads of players and buy in loads as well - I sell one or two each year, I find it hard to let go of players. Walcott is one of them; I don't rate him at all on FM but I keep him because I like the little tyke.

I really should manage teams that I care little about.

I sold Dzeko to make way for Villa and managed to get Milevskyi on a free aswell (10.2 - end of contract and now only on 30k as a back up) and Milevskyi scored more goals in his first season than Dzeko did in his last.

It's not always about CA and "decent" players can very often out play the super stars. I say this now but in my game i'm near January and trying to sign Rooney or Aguero. :p

Archived