Can someone explain for mentoring/tutoring works

I understand (i think) the importance of having solid professional players mentor/tutor your young starlets but I dont know how to go about doing it.

The only time I have seen the option is when one of my coaches recommends it, is there anyway to decide who mentors whom by yourself?

Beyond how you actually do it, can you have one player mentor more than 1 player? Is there a age limit on who can be mentored?

Any help/advice on this topic would be appreciated, thank you.

If you go into the interaction screen with a player then you can select to have him tutored/ mentored by someone in there. Usually you will get a list of a few different players to choose as a tutor. Just choose who you think he most like and go from there. You will have to keep an eye on there respective personality's as well though as sometimes they can clash and disrupt the team. Your best bet is to choose players with the same personality.

No, 1 player cannot mentor more than 1 other player at any one time. I think there might be an age limit on it but don’t actually know for sure.

Sometimes if one of your young players has too high an opinion of himself then he will refuse any form of tutoring as well.

hope that helps

Thanks for the help, this should help.

Carrying on this conversation, how long does mentoring last exactly? Is it a set period?

Does it make sense to have all my senior players mentoring as many young players as possible if they have the right personality?

Tutoring is very important to develop players with the right attitude.

Of the visible attributes, tutoring affects Determination, so this is one of the main things you should be looking at for mentoring a player. You want to get it as high as possible of course. The tutor should have higher determination therefore. But as mentioned, if the personality clashes between tutor and tutee then the tutoring will fail, so a player with determination 5 shouldn't be tutored by someone with Determination 15. You'd maybe want one or two players to bring his determination up first, who are closer to his level for this attribute, before the 15 Determination person would be successful.

The other thing it affects is hidden personality attributes, like Ambition and Professionalism. This is more of a difficulty because these attributes are hidden for a player. The safe option is to only tutor players with similar personalities but in practice this is far from ideal. Best thing is to use this guide and hedge your bets accordingly.

The criteria for a player being able to tutor another is as follows:

- Position: The tutor must share one 'Accomplished' position with the tutee.

- Squad status. The tutor must have a higher squad status than the tutee.

- Age: The tutor must be older than the tutee. I believe players can tutor a player of the same age too. There's also an age limit that players can be tutored at, which i'm not sure exactly but is something like 30 for goalkeepers, 28 for defenders etc. Players cannot be tutors unless they're at least 22 years of age.

- Reputation. The tutor must have a higher reputation than the tutee. Reputation is a number which isn't shown in the game, so this can be difficult; it's only represented by a title, like 'Local' or 'National' etc. If a player has a National reputation he should be fine tutoring a Local reputation player, but two players both of National reputation may depend on the exact number which isn't viewable.

I think that's everything, though there was word of an unknown factor that hasn't been picked up on yet. Or, it could be bugged slightly. Difficult to know.

Thanks for the replies everyone, so Tutoring only raises the 'Determination' stat of the player and nothing else in terms of what stats we can see.

Going off on a tangent how important are the hidden stats like Ambition and Professionalism towards a player performance. I am trying to picture in my mind the effects of mentoring. For example if I had Ryan Giggs mentor a young player they would be more inclined to follow his example of how to act off the pitch but what about on the pitch?

I'm not totally sure but i think a player with high Ambition and high Professionalism will be more committed to reaching the highest level they can as a player, so they will train better and have better motivation in game situations etc.

I may be wrong, but the long and short of it is a player with high Ambition and Professionalism is a good thing. It means they have a positive attitude towards the game, which will help them reach their potential as a player. You will want to try and get these attributes up as much as possible for your young players, though it's easier said than done unless they already begin with decent levels.

As for which visible attributes tutoring affects, i believe it is only Determination yes. It's possible that Influence may be affected too but don't take my word for that.

Also be aware that aside from visible and hidden attributes tutee's may learn preferred moves from their tutor, though which/how many they learn i'm not sure. For instance, i had a DM with 'Plays Short Simple Passes', 'Tries To Play Way Out Of Trouble' and 'Stays Back At All Times' tutor my 16yo MC, who after the tutoring had finished had learnt 'Tries To Play Way Out Of Trouble'. I'm not sure if this was pure chance.

Tutoring lasts 6 months by the way, unless it fails and the players in question clash.

And also, there are three options to tutor a player, 'be a role model', 'adopt approach' and 'learn from'; these don't have any impact on what the player learns from his tutor i don't believe. Apparently, it depends on the status of either player in the squad and impacts how the tutor/tutee may respond. So, an experienced key player may be seen as an ideal role model for a 16yo, whereas they might not take kindly to you merely selecting the 'learn from' option. On the other hand two players similar in status would probably react better with the 'learn from' option.

Archived