FM08 For Club and Country Challenge

FM08 For Club and Country Challenge

Club: Load a game with all the available divisions within the one nation you have selected (only one nation is allowed remember). Then choose a club to manage from the lowest playable division within that nation. The idea is to manage that club to win your domestic title and then pursue Champions league/Champions Cup/Libertadores (dependent on what continent you are managing in of course). It doesn't end there though...

Club and County: From day one you must try and secure the national team job (from your chosen nation). The second part of this challenge once you have secured the national job is to try and win the World Cup with them. As mentioned above you can accept the national job at any point during your career and continue with your club management if you wish. From day one you may move between club jobs in you league structure if you wish or stay loyal to one club, the choice is yours. Managing other national teams is not allowed.

The Set-up

- Any official SI patch is ok to use, although I recommend you are up to date and use the latest one (8.02).

- Select one nation only and make sure all it's divisions are active and selected.

- Any Database may be selected (Small, Medium or Large). I personally would recommend using large.

- Attribute masking should be enabled.

- Pick a club job in the lowest playable division of your selected league structure, for example Northern Ireland would be; a club from the Second Division.

- Starting Manager reputation of 'Sunday League Footballer' must be selected or if that option isn't available in the country you have chosen then chose 'Automatic'.

- You can use your true nationality/nationalities or chose one that matches that of your chosen nation.

- The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

- Then post a screenshot of your manager profile screen on the day you are appointed Manager.

Then you are good to go.

Scouting Guidelines

You can only sign players that you are able to scout or trial at the club first, so in short the player must have the “Get scout report†button on his profile screen. The one exception to this is when you ask a current squad member to recommend a new signing, It is then ok to sign him as the player who recommended him knows of him anyway.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything FM related are encouraged.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the date you take control at your new club.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. We want to hear the story of your club all the way through (success and failure), So please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including the minimum of a screenshot of the league table. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier for others to pick out.

Countries leagues and their league reputation (top division):

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Africa Europe

--------------- -----------------

South Africa 10 Austria 12

Austria 12

Asia Belarus 9

--------------- Belgium 13

China 10 Bulgaria 11

Hong Kong 3 Croatia 11

India 4 Czech Republic 11

Indonesia 5 Denmark 12

Malaysia 4 England 18

Singapore 4 Finland 8

South Korea 11 France 16

Germany 16

North America Greece 14

--------------- Holland 14

Mexico 14 Hungary 10

USA 12 Iceland 5

Ireland 10

Oceania Israel 12

--------------- Italy 18

Australia 10 N.Ireland 6

Norway 11

South America Poland 11

--------------- Portugal 15

Argentina 15 Romania 12

Brazil 15 Scotland 13

Chile 11 Serbia 11

Colombia 12 Slovakia 10

Peru 8 Slovenia 10

Uruguay 12 Spain 19

Sweden 10

Switzerland 11

Turkey 14

Ukraine 11

Wales 7</pre>

Difficulty

The difficulty of this challenge is dependant on which country you chose to manage in. For instance the easier countries would be considered; Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal and Spain. It may be a little harder to get to the top on the domestic scene and gain Champions League trophy along the way than managing in a smaller country, but once you are the national team coach that part should be significantly easier.

If however you fancy taking control of a club from a small nation? Say Northern Ireland for instance, then it should be fairly easier to dominate domestically than in a bigger nation. However then there is the Champions League to conquer which rises the difficulty level immensely and on top of that guide the national team to be World Cup winners!

Choose you difficulty wisely.

Forbidden Items

'Load all players from' option is forbidden.

No external utilities such as FMScout should be used and the database should be un-edited.

How to Post a Screenshot

1. While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

5. Post the direct Url to the image here.

Your Challenge is completed when...

You have won your Domestic Title, Champions League (or equivalent) with your club side and are World Cup cup winners with the national side.

This challenge isn't a competition against other users, as long as you’re enjoying this challenge that is the main thing. icon_smile.gif

I would like to thank dafuge for his input and opinions regarding getting this challenge set up, they where greatly appreciated. icon14.gif

Best of luck to all. icon14.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds quality Gundo icon14.gif

It's like a revamped, global, roaming challenge! And I like it icon_biggrin.gif

Once my last exams done on Saturday I'll be hopping on board - quite fancy Columbia for some reason! Good luck to all

Originally posted by iacovone:

One question - do you still want seasonal updates like in your original challenge?

Yes, but they can be really brief containing a few words on how the season went and minimum of a final league table screenie.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Damn you Gundo, I'm never going to complete a challenge in FM08 now.....

Gundo's Challenge - 2040's - Unfinished

Dafuge's Challenge - 2020's - Unfinished

and now this. icon_frown.gif

Ha ha sorry Nep. icon_wink.gif

I'll almost certainly have a go at this one, even with my hatred of International management.

Will wait until I get fed up on my current career game first.

Dafuges challenge - given up on

Gundos other challenge - given up on

This one - who knows!

interesting, well thought and laid out challenge... kind of takes the best bits of the other challenges and puts it into one big, mega challenge!

need to decide between this and another game now to run next to by Como save.....

Originally posted by ridleys:

Am I right in thinking that if say you are managing your club in the Blue Square Premier and you get offered a job in League 1, you can accept the offer?

I'll be starting this tonight icon14.gif

Correct.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

one question - what are we doing with regards to nationality? do we have to use our own, or should we set it to the nationality of the country we're playing in??

Your real life nationality/nationalities.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

one question - what are we doing with regards to nationality? do we have to use our own, or should we set it to the nationality of the country we're playing in??

Your real life nationality/nationalities. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thought so - just wanted to chgeck / get that clarified. it can be important obviously depending where you manage i imagine.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

thought so - just wanted to chgeck / get that clarified. it can be important obviously depending where you manage i imagine..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, cant imagine the Scottish FA happily giving an Englishman the job!

Btw Scotland appear to be missing from your list of leagues and reps. Any reason for this?

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

thought so - just wanted to chgeck / get that clarified. it can be important obviously depending where you manage i imagine..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, cant imagine the Scottish FA happily giving an Englishman the job!

Btw Scotland appear to be missing from your list of leagues and reps. Any reason for this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They where on it at some point. I'll get them added.

My San Marino game all but qualifies for this and I've got the exact same aims. The only thing that doesn't is that I've loaded all players from San Marino. Oh, and I'd be managing the San Marino national team rather than the Italian one.

Otherwise, I'd be effectively good to go.

Do we have to manage in the same country throughout?

Or can we change between countries?

How do you mean? If you mean change between national jobs, then no you can't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

How do you mean? If you mean change between national jobs, then no you can't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean can we load up more than one country and then say start in the Northern Irish 2nd Div. and move to say Serie A in Italy?

Also can we manage any nation or does it have to be the one we start in?

I think you need to allow load all players from... for some countries, San Marino, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Brunei, Andorra. All these have clubs in league systems of other nations, there may be a couple I've forgotten.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

How do you mean? If you mean change between national jobs, then no you can't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean can we load up more than one country and then say start in the Northern Irish 2nd Div. and move to say Serie A in Italy?

Also can we manage any nation or does it have to be the one we start in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea of this challenge when you start out is to pick your starting destination keeping in mind that ultimately it's going to be that countries national side that you will eventually manage and no other (as that is not allowed).

Hope that makes sense? Kind of hard to explain.

Originally posted by Quacky:

I think you need to allow load all players from... for some countries, San Marino, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Brunei, Andorra. All these have clubs in league systems of other nations, there may be a couple I've forgotten.

I'm not sure about the others you've mentioned? but as far as New Zealand are concerned, if you load up the Australian league, then it includes most (don't know if it's all of them) of the players who are of New Zealand nationality anyway. So in that scenario, if you load up the Australian A-League then you have the opportunity to manage two nations if the opportunity should arise, in the shape of Australia or New Zealand.

Also can we manage any nation or does it have to be the one we start in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea of this challenge when you start out is to pick your starting destination keeping in mind that ultimately it's going to be that countries national side that you will eventually manage and no other (as that is not allowed).

Hope that makes sense? Kind of hard to explain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I understand thanks for clearing that up.

i might be wrong, but is this challenge being made to seem more complicated than it needs to be? it's pretty self explanatory from the guidelines at the top as to the rules.........

if you're a fan of Gundo's other challenge, or dafuges, it's surely just an extension of that??

i might be wrong, but is this challenge being made to seem more complicated than it needs to be? it's pretty self explanatory from the guidelines at the top as to the rules.........

if you're a fan of Gundo's other challenge, or dafuges, it's surely just an extension of that??

Your correct rlipscombe, it really isn't complicated at all. It was hard to explain as mentioned in my reply to ridleys. I just hope the opening post is clear enough?

Wegason You chose one nation's full league structure in the start up. Chose to manage a club in the bottom division. Then once the national job becomes available, try and get that.

So for example: Say you pick Norway to manage in. Select just their leagues (all of them) and chose a club to manage from the lowest playable division (2nd Division). The only national side you are allowed to manage is Norway. icon_smile.gif

Profile.

I've started in the A-League with Melbourne Victory. I had to select 'Automatic' starting rep as there was no 'Sunday League Footballer' option available and it's given me a Continental reputation! icon_eek.gif

*sigh* Gundo's done it with another challenge that will make me break down and weep like a small child...

In other words - nice job Gundo!

Seeing as my Bryntirion game keeps corrupting on me - could I holiday one year in Wales to get DINAS up and start from there?

Originally posted by 442to445:

*sigh* Gundo's done it with another challenge that will make me break down and weep like a small child...

In other words - nice job Gundo!

Seeing as my Bryntirion game keeps corrupting on me - could I holiday one year in Wales to get DINAS up and start from there?

Sure. icon14.gif

You may have the reputation Gundo but you still have to contend with the worst rules surrounding substitutions ever, really puts me off playing A-League after I first saw them icon_smile.gif

Are you referring to the just 4 subs ruling? If so it's not so bad.

Originally posted by kingrooney:

Looks a good challange

i will hav a stab at this but will try one of the easier countries first.

Mexico is my intended destination with the team Queretaro in the mexican second division.

Here is my Profile

Easier domestically of course, but harder once you get the Mexico job and are trying to win the World Cup. icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck. icon14.gif

Are you referring to the just 4 subs ruling? If so it's not so bad.

Yes and I think one of them has to be a GK so basically you can have 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 1 striker. What if I need a fullback or a particular winger or something, you need so much versatility in your players to be able to bring on just one generic player and still be able to play the way you want to. Also with so few you can't have a youngster sitting on the bench to give a few games to as you really must pick your next best player at that position to be on the bench.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are you referring to the just 4 subs ruling? If so it's not so bad.

Yes and I think one of them has to be a GK so basically you can have 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 1 striker. What if I need a fullback or a particular winger or something, you need so much versatility in your players to be able to bring on just one generic player and still be able to play the way you want to. Also with so few you can't have a youngster sitting on the bench to give a few games to as you really must pick your next best player at that position to be on the bench. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can live with it tbh, I suppose it's change from what I've been used to managing in Europe. Like you say, I'm going to need players who are versatile alright. icon_biggrin.gif

I might join you in the land of Oz Gundo. Really do like the idea of this challenge mate, there'll be so many obscure and entertaining stories of people's journeys to the World Cup it'll be brilliant icon_biggrin.gif

I know this has been asked but should it possibly put up for consideration Gundo? I'm just thinking that it seems a little unrealistic that eg. An English manager takes over the Columbia national team. Seeing as we're assigned to just the one nation with the intention of getting that nation's national job, would it not be more logical to be a manager from the country we are playing in? Just something to think about icon14.gif

Originally posted by Truegunner:

I was thinking of playing Fc Vaduz, now they are a leichienstien footbaal club playing in the switzerland challenge league, I was wondering if I could load all players for leichienstien so that I can play them along with Vaduz.

i'd also been wondering about that.....

i can't decide between Holland, Dukla Prague in Czech Republic or maybe having a bash in the USA. it's a tricky choice! icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm contemplating starting this in many countries, and think I do generally prefer 1 country games than my multi-national career game.

Just cant decide which countries to even look at. However I will figure it out soon, as I really want to start this, as it seems like it could be good fun.

Originally posted by iacovone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">one question - what are we doing with regards to nationality? do we have to use our own, or should we set it to the nationality of the country we're playing in??

I know this has been asked but should it possibly put up for consideration Gundo? I'm just thinking that it seems a little unrealistic that eg. An English manager takes over the Columbia national team. Seeing as we're assigned to just the one nation with the intention of getting that nation's national job, would it not be more logical to be a manager from the country we are playing in? Just something to think about icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'll see if dafuge can change it in the opening post, so that you can chose what nationality you want. icon14.gif

Ok, made a decision and for my first attempt I have gone for Holland, and the club called TOP.

I figure my managerial abilities are normally pretty bad, so may as well attempt this in a nation that has some reputation and pray I can make some progress.

I have a media prediction of 18th, and I cant see any mention of relegation in the rules for this league, so I may be able to hold onto this job for a bit.

Archived