I Done Broked My Team :(

Long story short, I'm doing a journeyman career and it's June 2014. I came in at Valencia halfway through the season to a squad with bad harmony, alot of them around the 31 year old mark and some of the players lost faith in my ability come the end of the season.

So, I sold everyone, except the players I'd brought in in January.

With so much money to spend, I quickly started seeing top class players I could sign, both youth prospects and stars around the age of 25 but going for reasonable money.

The problem is, I now have a really unbalanced squad with a wealth of strikers, but very, very few defenders and no defensive midfielders.

Bummer.

I don't have an earlier save to load and I obviously can't sell players I just bought, so I'm stuck with no money and an extremely unbalanced squad. To make matters woese, I'm supposed to qualify for Europe...which cisn't going to happen with this squad, which will probably result in me being sacked and my game ruined.

Bummer.

Has anyone else messed up like this? lol...seen a bunch of youth prospects and snapped them up, then saw an amazing striker and snapped him up and ended up with a handicapped squad?

It would have been fine having just 2 strikers as at least there would be a formation for 1 striker with 1 coming off the bench...but I can't have a single reasonable formation now.

I...am an idiot lol.

I did a similar thing when I had just gained promotion to the Premier League with my Sheff Wed side, I splurged 11m of my 11.5m budget on one striker. Luckily for me, expectations were low and the board were happy with our 17th place finish.

It will probably be a lot trickier at Valencia, where I'd imagine they expect at least mid table/European qualification.

I'd try and loan in a few up and coming defenders and hope they do the business, but it may be the case that attack is your best for of defence. At least you'll have some high scoring games. :D

I've done this to Crystal Palace

I come from AFC Telford, where cash was always tight, and went mad when they have given me millions.

I bought mediocre players on big money, failed to improve performance much and missed promotion. Players become unhappy due to underperforming and lost faith in my abilities. I resigned at the end of the season, leaving scorched earth behind me :p

i do this on every long term save i have ever done, i either end up with about 20 brilliant lookin regens that there simply isnt enough games to develop, or i buy big name players on a free and forget what i actually need. im not very good at this game!

I spent all my transfer money on Owen and Adriano playing as Doncaster. They both scored a lot of goals, but the rest of the team was rubbish, so I almost got relegated. I was lucky however that West Ham got relegated that season, so I got a lot of their players cheaply next season, that balanced the team a little.

Playing in the Scottish third tier, i sold my star midfielder (or rather was forced to sell) and spent the money on an attacking right back. Sounds quite like a certain Spanish manager i know now i come to think of it... ;) Luckily at that level though you can build your whole team on frees so it wasn't a problem.

If you've got a wage budget left, best thing is probably to look for free agents and hope they can pad you out for the short term.

Well, best thing is to resign actually. You can't fail if you don't try.

I always make sure that I have at least 22 players, that way I always have cover for every position, always have 2 GK(another one on loan), 2 LB, 2 RB, 4 CB(another on loan), 2RW, 2 LW, 2CM(another one on loan), 2 DM(another one on loan), 4 Forwards(another one on loan), not including my kids, always be prepared for the worst injury crisis.

I have a smilar problem, but nowhere near as bad. Iv taken over man utd, and they have a team of ageing defenders, but the game hasn't produced any decent replacements, I tend to always by the young regens who could be mint. I have some mint 16yo strikers, but some average 35yo defenders lol

I am trying to build an all English squad playing as Newcastle one of the biggest 3 teams in the world now in 2017/18 season.

I have a similar problem, there are a wealth of world class Strikers available, I have them coming out my ears, but I have only one decent DM and 2 decent DC, and One DL. Strikers, I have 5 who could walk into any first team in the world.

My back ups for the limited positions are quite awful.

I always make sure that I have at least 22 players, that way I always have cover for every position, always have 2 GK(another one on loan), 2 LB, 2 RB, 4 CB(another on loan), 2RW, 2 LW, 2CM(another one on loan), 2 DM(another one on loan), 4 Forwards(another one on loan), not including my kids, always be prepared for the worst injury crisis.

I thought all FMers would do this, evidently not!! LOL ;)

I am usually aware throughout the season that I need this or that position replacing/bulking out... then at the end of the season check reports and match ratings to see where I can improve.

Then I get a peice of paper and draw out the team and make some decisions! Sad but love the FM bug which has only recently re-engaged meh!

BUT, saying that, I can't NOT buy a good looking regen if I have the money. I.E. **I WANT IT ALL AND NO OTHER TEAM IS ALLOWED THEM!! ITS MY PARTY AND I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO!!**

Archived