Create a set-piece ??

I was thinking is it a good idea for SI to maybe include create a set peice in future versions of FM.

It would work rather like the create a tactic . however you could alocate the exact movement of every player.

First you would chose free kick/corner postion, eg. left , right , central (obv not for corners) .

Then free kick range . e.g - if central , 18 - 25 yards . 25 - 30 yards.

Then you could chose were you would want your taker to put the ball , factors such as free kicks and passing would effect how close or well it is taken to the designated area.

Then you could decide which players you would want moving werever you wish , this maybe by dragging them as little circles (like 2d match players) or even moving them as 3d players.

What do we think on this ??

such as. .

CM2010 tried this!

Anyway, I'm not sure it's a possibility at the moment. I would, however, like a much better GUI for it. Something like CM's but instead of being able to position your players anywhere you can place them in distinct regions (corresponding to our current options, such as stand on far post, attack near post, lurk outside box, etc.). Basically giving us something like the tactics positions "graph" but with the penalty box only. Sure beats tinkering with 10 (or 11 for the goalkeeper in a last-minute rush) list boxes especially when swapping set-piece roles.

I'd also like options to set direct and indirect free-kick takers separately.

I'd also like us to have some sort of "creative freedom" for free-kicks, like how sometimes it's not the first-choice free-kick taker who takes them just to confuse the opposition. Or free-kicks which despite you telling them to aim for the 6-yard box, sometimes they'll aim for the near post or lurker. Perhaps giving us the choice of setting up several set-piece tactics and then allowing us to set the probability or frequency of a set-piece (i.e. 90% of the time do 6-yard box with this setup, but 10% aim far post with another setup), as well as letting players set them up themselves (would rely on your set-piece taker's influence and teamwork perhaps). Too many set-piece options may not help your team though as it would depend on teamwork to even think about doing lots of set-piece options. A team which is simply a bunch of 11 selfish players would barely be able to execute one set-piece tactic properly let alone 5-6.

And trick free-kicks too, such as a slider indicating "try tricks" initially 0 and for extremely technical and gifted set-piece takers (19-20), set it higher.

It would work in PES or FIFA see if Konami or EA bite?

Fifa already has it.

And I like the idea. And iirc the CM set piece editor got only that bug that got fixed in the end.

Even so, it had really little possibility of exploits. So if CM can, why not FM?

And it's not like there aren't any exploits possible NOW.

yes i agree . however i think it would be easy to then master a set peice, so to stop this , it should be related with training. Just hw when u are teaching a player a new postion, he goes through unconvincing, content etc. , maybe that could happen with a set peice. You decide how much you would want them to practice it in training , and as they get better and better, the set peice rating gets higher. What do you think ?

I would definately like to see more variation in corners and free kicks. Rather then designing your own set plays you could have your coaching staff do it - this would mean no exploits and a more varied match to watch.

And I like the idea. And iirc the CM set piece editor got only that bug that got fixed in the end.

Even so, it had really little possibility of exploits. So if CM can, why not FM?

And it's not like there aren't any exploits possible NOW.

Eidos only fixed the bug by not allowing the goalkeeper to go forwards. The set piece set up was very flawed as a whole:

The fact that a handful of exploits are there now doesn't mean SI should allow for more to be created.

It's something I'd like to see, but it isn't practical.

I do agree with many of x42's suggestions, and think we could do with a few more pre-set options. I think having all players on "lurk", do so in the same place, is wrong. There should be near, middle and far lurk spots, at least. I'd like to see players on "forward" make more of an attempt to lose their man, burst forward and get a header away. I want defensive players on posts to act more intelligently (near post- come in front of the post to clear weak corners, then get round and defend on the line, otherwise stay on the post!). Two or three pre-set trick free kicks would be very gratefully received, as would the ability to set indirect free kick takers from various areas on the pitch. "Disrupt wall" doesn't work quite as well as it could.

Eidos' version was AWFUL, beyond words awful. (I know, because I bought it)

You couldn't actually shoot from a freekick becasue of it....

Picture the scene;

England need a draw to qualify for a major tournement, they are losing 2-1 in the 92nd minute. There is a freekick on the edge of the area. David Beckham is stood over the ball. He runs up and he............... chips it to the back post where it is headed away and England dont qualify.

It is a fantastic idea in reality but it HAS to be absolutly perfect. I can see it in future games but I think now is too soon.

Something like this:

tactics.png

So you drag people into certain areas, possibly with limits (i.e. can't have 10 people standing on the front post as there's no space).

I don't mind having 10 lurkers or 10 players challenging the goalkeeper. I'd argue the first would be ineffective if there hadn't been a corner bug, and the second 99% likely to simply foul the goalkeeper.

Why not just give us 10 formations to use and no tinkering (prevents exploits)?

If SI are only worried about exploits, then they will get nowhere in developing a game.

If an exploit is found SI will close it up. But they're not going to do avoid things simply because they can be exploited.

Archived