FM for Android??

• SI Staff
Such a shame :( I just got my new phone today and I'd love to be able to play FM on the go :thup:

Sorry but nothing is scheduled for any other phones at present (also from a purely honest/practical perspective do bear in mind if this changes there would be a considerable period of time taken to port the game to that device anyway I'm afraid).

Its a pity that SI doesnt see Android as an interesting platform. I recon that Android will be as big as apple iphone/ipod touch.

I have my SE X10 for a couple of weeks now and I would definately buy Football Manager if it would become available!

Yeah hopefully we'll get it at some point, Android is growing in popularity at a massive rate right now, with loads more handsets coming out. Also the HTC's are doing really, really well at the moment running Android. Just got a HTC Desire myself (which is an amazing phone, so fast and a brilliant screen) and would love FM on it!

Marc - I really hope you'll reconsider on making a port of FM for the Android platform.

There's a ton of phones with Android now, including powerful handhelds like the Nexus One and HTC Desire - phones *made* for games like FM.

There's currently around 50.000 apps in the Android Market, growing rapidly - my guess is that the Android Market will have more apps than the iStore before the end of 2010.

Android is the future platform for handhelds imho - it's much more open & dev friendly than the iPhone/Mac OS.

I'd LOVE to play FM on my Nexus. :)

• SI Staff
Its a pity that SI doesnt see Android as an interesting platform. I recon that Android will be as big as apple iphone/ipod touch.

I have my SE X10 for a couple of weeks now and I would definately buy Football Manager if it would become available!

To be quite honest its not that I don't see Android as an 'interesting' platform (I'm a geek, I LOVE playing with new hardware ... so from a personal level heck yeah I've love to have a play ;) ) - its simply that there are only so many people here available to work on handheld stuff and rather than stretch ourselves and release lots of substandard products I'd prefer us to take our time and do each one 'right' when it occurs.

At some point in the future its possible that we might look at the Android systems, however at present it simply isn't scheduled and I'd rather be honest about that with everyone.

i need fm on my android, i want fm for my android and i hate iPod Touch & iPhone! Let's Boycott IPOD TOUCH AND IPHONE SO WE WILL GET OUR WISH, FM FOR ANDROID! DO NOT BE WEAK ANT SWITCH TO IPOD OR IPHONE! IT WILL COME FOR ANDROID :D

Sorry but what exactly is the Android?

Why Boycott Ipod Touch and Iphone they dont make FM?

because if people dont have ipod touch or iphone they can`t buy the game :D

they probably made the game for ipod touch and iphone because they thought they would make more money but if we boycoutt ipod touch and iphone then they will reconsider and make it for android!

Its hard enough making it for PSP and ipod/iphone with the data base it has. Than making a version for android. What is the android?

Android is an operating system (or, more precisely, a software stack) for mobile devices that includes middleware and key applications,[4] and uses a modified version of the Linux kernel.[5][6][7] It was initially developed by Android Inc., a firm later purchased by Google, and lately by the Open Handset Alliance.[8] It allows developers to write managed code in the Java language, controlling the device via Google-developed Java libraries.[9]

The unveiling of the Android distribution on November 5, 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance, a consortium of 65 hardware, software, and telecom companies devoted to advancing open standards for mobile devices.[10][11] Google released most of the Android code under the Apache License, a free software and open source license.[12]

On Feb 16, 2010 Google announced that 60,000 cell phones with Android are shipping every day.[13] According to a press estimate, the Android platform ranks as the fourth most popular smartphone device-platform in the United States as of February 2010.[14]

• SI Staff
because if people dont have ipod touch or iphone they can`t buy the game :D

they probably made the game for ipod touch and iphone because they thought they would make more money but if we boycoutt ipod touch and iphone then they will reconsider and make it for android!

No if the iPhone game fails then simply put its unlikely other phone platforms would be considered as the iPhone is presently the dominant platform it'd be considered unsuitable to port to a platform with a smaller user base.

(so your better best if to purchase 5 copies of the iPhone game instead ;) )

• 3 weeks later...
No if the iPhone game fails then simply put its unlikely other phone platforms would be considered as the iPhone is presently the dominant platform it'd be considered unsuitable to port to a platform with a smaller user base.

(so your better best if to purchase 5 copies of the iPhone game instead ;) )

That's a bit short sighted of SI. Android is already outselling the iPhone in the states and is the fastest growing platform worldwide.

Because it's not tied to one phone manufacturer and it's open source, it's predicted it will be second only to Symbian within the next 12 months.

Figures not to be sniffed at Marc

• Administrators

I'm sure SI's research guys will let them know when/if the right time is for developing for Android. I'm sure that time will come.

Kudos on MV for waiting on the markets to decide - much better too to make a native app than a nasty port, from all sides, really. :)

Guest n0manarmy

I'm also chiming in about Android.

I understand the iPhone being the dominant mobile gaming device (besides the Nintendo DS.) I have a feeling that in the long run, for a business, Android is going to be a better choice. Apple's done a great job of providing its users what they believe they want but now we're seeing Google answer with a platform that's not as restrictive. We've also seen continued expansion of restrictions on the iPhone where as Google has done nothing but provide more methods of developing for their platform.

Consider this, Apple gives you the iPhone, iPod Touch, and the iPad. All three devices are great devices but in the long run compete against each other. Google offers the Android OS on mobile handsets. Google is now also offering Android on TV's. Two different devices that don't compete, both capable of running your application. I have a feeling Google's not going to stop there.

• 2 weeks later...

Android ihas already overtaken iPhone in US; 28% of smartphone sales in Q1 versus iPhone on 21%. It's the no. 1 mobile OS now and set to push on. Plus, Andoid is much more a match for your market; more masculine and more nerdy. Iphone is slightly effete, elitist. If you had to pick one horse you picked the wrong one, but of course you should have picked both. Plus, facebook - should be doing some serious application work there. If you would like more of this advice you can hire me in product/marketing at 200/hour or a package of 80K/year.

• 2 weeks later...

As Marc says, SI only have a limited number of people so they can't just develop an FM game for every platform. It's possible they could expand, but that's a slow and inefficient process and it's difficult to maintain quality if done quickly.

What I will say is that we now have two very successful, very useable mobile device platforms and it's possible that dedicated portable gaming devices will become redundant in a few years. I can well imaging it one day being in SI's best financial interest to drop development for the PSP in favour of supporting Android.

Someone said above about dropping psp just for android

Well till SI say it they are not making FMH for the PSP. I will not believe it. It's the only reason I have a PSP. If the iPhone version sells well and the Andriod user base continues to expand as quickly as they say it is. Of course SI will make a version for Andriod.

• 9 months later...

I agree - why carry on developing for the PSP when:

a) Android phones have a bigger install base

b) The PSP2 (NGP) will support Android Apps?

Seems a no brainer to me - surely it is much more expensive to develop and distribute UMDs than an Android App.

I agree that the varying specs of Android devices could be an issue, but you seem to have overcome that problem with the PC version!

• SI Staff
Interesting that there have not been any denials of an android version in development from FM staff recently....

I'd love us to support more platforms than just iOS devices, at present though there are limitations upon what a small development team can support - hopefully this will change in due course, when/if it does we'll obviously keep you all informed via. press releases and these forums.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
I'd love us to support more platforms than just iOS devices, at present though there are limitations upon what a small development team can support - hopefully this will change in due course, when/if it does we'll obviously keep you all informed via. press releases and these forums.

Whilst right that there's a small team working on FMH, there are very good reasons why we don't just expand the team for an Android version, and that's down to decisions that are way out of our hands on the platform. With iPhone, there is one screen size to aim for. There is one OS that you need to support (the latest one, essentially, as the upgrades are free and available to all). With Android, there are loads of different screen sizes, loads of different versions of the OS (as each handset manufacturer can change it, as can the service providers), and is a customer service nightmare. When Google sort that stuff out, then we'll look at it properly - until then, it doesn't make economic sense on a number of different levels.

Whilst right that there's a small team working on FMH, there are very good reasons why we don't just expand the team for an Android version, and that's down to decisions that are way out of our hands on the platform. With iPhone, there is one screen size to aim for. There is one OS that you need to support (the latest one, essentially, as the upgrades are free and available to all). With Android, there are loads of different screen sizes, loads of different versions of the OS (as each handset manufacturer can change it, as can the service providers), and is a customer service nightmare. When Google sort that stuff out, then we'll look at it properly - until then, it doesn't make economic sense on a number of different levels.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

As has been mentioned already, Android apps can easily be made restricted so that they are only available on certain resolutions (800x480 and above for example). If the app is designed properly then there should be no problem in handling the different resolutions (nowadays really are only a handful). FM has always been available in different resolutions and now you have released a new iPad version of FMH which runs at a new resolution, so clearly this isn't much of an issue.

With regards to "different versions of the OS", while it is true there are a few different versions numbers, this would have very little impact on the compatibility of the app, as would any manufacturer or network modifications which do not effect the underlying system processes. Again, android allows developers to restrict apps to devices with a minimum OS version.

It has also been pointed out that your team continue to develop the PSP version of FMH, a device which is clearly going the way of the dodo. Ceasing development on this outdated platform and moving to a new platform with a much larger customer base and future would mean you would not have to expand the team, and would probably save costs in dev fees to Sony (not to mention that the new PSP2/NGP will support android apps).

There is clearly a huge desire for an Android version of FM from the number of threads in this forum, so quite why you guys haven't looked into this properly and got all the facts, I can't see why you wouldn't at least consider the idea.

Two points. The messy Android system is a deterrent to developers. It took the release of the Xperia Play for EA to start taking Android seriously because it finally had one device to concentrate on. That says it all really. As for the PSP there's a loyal FM following who buy FMH every year. It was the only game I bought on PSP until FMH for iphone came out. Yes, I switched to iphone but many younger players won't be getting an iphone or ipad anytime soon so the PSP version is the only school time killer they've got!! :D

Two points. The messy Android system is a deterrent to developers. It took the release of the Xperia Play for EA to start taking Android seriously because it finally had one device to concentrate on. That says it all really.

Why is it messy?

Do you not think Sony gave EA a nudge to support their new device?

• 2 months later...

Would love to see FM for android tablets, as well as linux compatibility. I'm no expert but given that Mac OS is built on the Linux Kernel (I think?) and FM is compatible with Mac OS, surely linux compatibility is only a small step??

Archived