What makes a player "truly one of the worlds superstars"?

To me a World Superstar is someone who can play consistantly at the highest levels of club and international football.

IMHO Messi is not yet a superstar because he has not consistantly produced his undoubted abilty for Argentina.

Its not April fools day today mate, no need for the comedy posts. Messi not a superstar? Post of the day/week/month/year!!! Genius.

On topic, I believe the only thing that signifies this in game is reputation. Simples.

messi is a world superstar end off, hes the best player in the world so by ur logic there is no world class player in modern time at the moment? nothing to do with consistensy, its about producing the goods at the highest level which messi has done, winning european cups and league titles makes u a world superstar and in the game it gives them rep to be declared this.

highly unlikly unless they werent the integral part of the team to make it happen, rep goes up fool when players win trophies and get more well known.not every player in ur team will get world class rep but the players that made it happen will unless u done it with a pub team and there rep was way to low to start with so it will take more time than say a continental rep player becoming world class.

my last team won 3 european cups in a row all these players where continental rep and now world class and described as opne of the worlds best superstars.

benzema

chellini

ramos

diarra!

higuain

messi is a world superstar end off, hes the best player in the world so by ur logic there is no world class player in modern time at the moment? nothing to do with consistensy, its about producing the goods at the highest level which messi has done, winning european cups and league titles makes u a world superstar and in the game it gives them rep to be declared this.

But he has not done it at international level yet (he doesn't need to win trophies just be consistent).

Current World Superstars

Wayne Rooney

Christian Ronaldo

Buffon

Torres

what has wayne rooney won at int level? hes never been top goal scorer nor scored a important winning goal at an int tournament.

in fact didnt he blow englands chacnes the last time at a int tournament by getting sent off lol.

by the way am not saying rooney isnt a superstar he is, but so is messi :)

I am now leaving this debate to others, I can't take anyone seriously who is of the opinion that Messi isn't a world class superstar.

Please describe why you think he is.

I have stated why I think he isn't. He is undoubtly a wonderful player, but at the moment is very fickle at International Level.

what has wayne rooney won at int level? hes never been top goal scorer nor scored a important winning goal at an int tournament.

in fact didnt he blow englands chacnes the last time at a int tournament by getting sent off lol.

by the way am not saying rooney isnt a superstar he is, but so is messi :)

Beckham supposedly blew England's chances by getting sent off before, he still went on to be a superstar.

I am now leaving this debate to others, I can't take anyone seriously who is of the opinion that Messi isn't a world class superstar.

Messi's good, but he's no Jimmy Bullard.

But he has not done it at international level yet (he doesn't need to win trophies just be consistent).

Current World Superstars

Wayne Rooney

Christian Ronaldo

Buffon

Torres

Rooney? What's he won at international level? And Ronaldo?

In fact, what has Torres won at club level to make him a superstar?

Furthermore, are you aware of the claibre of players who wouldn't be classed as superstars in years gone by,

Best, Stoitchkov et al

I have stated why I think he isn't. He is undoubtly a wonderful player, but at the moment is very fickle at International Level.

Remind me again how many Champions League Winners Medals he has?

Argentina are team who have underperformed - that doens't make Messi any less of the GREAT player he is.

I will state again, in my opinion a 'superstar' is someone who can perform consistantlty at the top levels of the game for both club and country. They are players that you can rely on week in week out to perform at there highest ability.

It is not about how many trinkets they collect

I will state again, in my opinion a 'superstar' is someone who can perform consistantlty at the top levels of the game for both club and country. They are players that you can rely on week in week out to perform at there highest ability.

It is not about how many trinkets they collect

Haha! Champions League mdeals = "trinkets" that's gotta be the comparison of the century,

Okay then, why is it about international football? And just to refer to a phrase you made - "week in week out" - internationals don't happen on a weekly basis.

Messi does perform week in week out for Barca.

And does that also mean that big Sassa Papac a superstar because he plays to highest of his ability week in week out. Granted his ability isn't of that high a calibre but according to your logic......

Haha! Champions League mdeals = "trinkets" that's gotta be the comparison of the century,

Okay then, why is it about international football? And just to refer to a phrase you made - "week in week out" - internationals don't happen on a weekly basis.

Messi does perform week in week out for Barca.

And does that also mean that big Sassa Papac a superstar because he plays to highest of his ability week in week out. Granted his ability isn't of that high a calibre but according to your logic......

I did qualify myself by saying 'at the top levels of the game' no disrepect to the SPL but this is not a top level league.

Why is it about International Football? Because this is the 'ultimate stage' many a great player has failed at this level, it sorts the men from the boys. But to be a 'great' you have to do it every time you pull on your nations shirt.

I did qualify myself by saying 'at the top levels of the game' no disrepect to the SPL but this is not a top level league.

Why is it about International Football? Because this is the 'ultimate stage' many a great player has failed at this level, it sorts the men from the boys. But to be a 'great' you have to do it every time you pull on your nations shirt.

Obviosuly my example was with a hint of irony but I disagree.

International football isn;t all it's cracked up to be. Look at the amount of rubbish teams that have been at the World Cup in the past. I remember Germany hammering Saudi Arabia a few years back. Just because a player doesn't have the same sucess with his national team as his club doesn't mean he cannot be classed as great. By that logic, players from conutries with smaller reputations are no better than that countire themselves - and this can't true when we are talking about individual talent.

It all lies in the defintion. Messi could be classed as a Barcelona legend (in the making), an international superstar, a world-class player (since he has won the Champions League at Spannish title, but I suppose you couldn't call him a World Cup Legend - since he hasn't actually won the thing.

But think of the great players who haven't won international tournaments.

This thread is soooo off topic, I can't believe its still open.

Already stated I'm not going to debate this with someone who thinks Messi isn't a superstar.

But as you asked so nicely: week in week out, be it La Liga or Champions League he performs at the very highest level, he scores and assists in spades. He dominates games in a manner that no one since Maradona has (you could probably argue a case for Zizou here as well). He has ability beyond that of any other player walking the earth at the current time and demonstrates it every time he walks out on the pitch.

One point to make is that his international performances are much more to do with his manager, his(Diego's) tactics (or lack thereof) and the rest of the team than his own abilities.

Yes international football is the pinnacle but are the following any lesser players for achieving little or nothing internationally:

George Best

Alfredo di Stefano

Johan Cruiyff (one good world cup, everything else he did was club level)

Eusebio

Cantona

I could go on, but am fairly certain I've made my point.

You don't need to win the world cup to be a legend. Would you say Eusebio is not a world cup legend, or Johann Cruyff?

Maybe I'm msising your point - so I'll ask this in a simple question.

What boxes does a player have to tick to qualify as a superstar on the world stage?

Specifically? Because I would have said Cruff was a superstar but according to your previous posts - he doesn't fit the mould.

Cruyff is a legend and in his playing days was a superstar because he played to his abilty in every game be it for club or country. As you hold medals in such high regard, i think even a world cup runners up medal is very high value.

On the world stage, a player must play to same level of commitment as he does for his club. It seems to me that a lot of players regard Internationals as a chore these days and whilst they win at every level with their club they fail their respective nations.

Archived