What do you need to win an ultimatum?

I saved the game before I did this because I knew I'd get the sack - but should I have?

My bargaining power could never have been higher. I have just completed the quadruple with Rangers, the CL win putting me in among the favoured personnel. Manchester United have offered me a contract which I'm negotiating. My stock could not be higher at this time. Anyway I demand that the training facilities are upgraded but get the sack. Of course Man Utd now come back with an improved offer. Rangers have lost a world class manager with no compensation either.

If this happened in real life the fans would go crazy.

I've read a few threads on this recently. From what I gather, 'Ultimatum' is broken and will always garner the boot.

On the flip side, you are saying to the board: "Do what I say OR sack me ", they decide that they CAN'T do what you say, so they give you your only other option; the sack. It's a case of giving the board no choice.

What do you need to do? Well follow these simple steps to a successful ultimatum;

1. Crouch down on your knees

2. Put both of your hands together

3. Shut your eyes

4. Pray as hard as your sorry ass can, to keep your job!

:D

I "won" with an ultimatum once, I was managing Championship team Wigan in FM07, I was using the name Kenny Dalglish (he wasn't in FM07 as staff) and I asked for extra transfer funds, they said I couldn't have any, I gave them an ultimatum, I kept my job but got no funds. I asked again, ultimatum again, kept my job, but no funds...I didn't want to risk it a third time so I kept on going 'till I got promotion

Don't think it'll matter what you do. I've won everything except 1 Champs league title in the past 5 seasons(Though I wasn't in the CL first season) with Liverpool in 2025, I was a legend last time I checked, and my job status was Untouchable. I'm also only 2nd to Fergie in the hall of fame rankings worldwide, as I've done well with England too. I asked for a stadium expansion, and they wouldn't do it and fired me when I used the ultimatum. Even the fans agreed we needed a new stadium, Anfield is no longer big enough.

I think in order to make Ultimatums make more sense, they just need to change the wording. I'm not saying that this would 'fix' it though, in that, some managers would have enough pull to get change to happen, even in extreme circumstances.

It would involve changing it from 'being sacked' following an ultimatum, to 'walking out'. Basically, if you say to your club 'Give me a better stadium or I'm out of here!' if the response, for whatever reason, is no, then you walk out the door - that's the ultimatum you've given the club.. In it's current sense, it appears that you gave an ultimatum, and the club sacked you because of it, whereas it should be that you walked out on the club for not doing as you asked.

I've read about managers on these forums who's sold/released players who thinks they're "bigger than the club". They want unreasonably high wages, thinks they are too good to be loaned out, wants to be sold, doesn't show up for practice whatever reason really, there are a lot of them. I would wager that when a manager gives the board an ultimatium they think: "he thinks he's bigger than the club" and can you really disagree with them? Sometimes they will give in to the manager's demands, but most times I would think not.

Giving the board an ultimatium is not a magical "gimme what I want and do it now!"-button. It is something which should only be used in cases where when your demands are not met, it makes your job impossible to perform. You have a 75k stadium but what you really want is a 95k? Does it make your job impossible if you don't get the 95k stadium? Ask yourself that question before issuing the ultimatium, because if the board believes you think you're bigger than the club then you might have to face some serious consequences.

Just my thoughts - I think the ultimatium button works just fine.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. It depends what you expect the Ultimatum button to actually do.

I think what people really want is:

Player: I want a new/bigger stadium!

Board: That's not possible..

Player: Give me it or I'll walk away! <Ultimatum Button>

Board: It can't be done, don't let the door hit you..

Player: <grovel mode> No, actually, I didn't really mean it, I was just trying to push you :-( </grovel mode>

and keep their job..

This obviously isn't what an ultimatum is.. If the wording of the 'sacking' following an ultimatum was changed to : 'Manager A walks out on club..' then there is nothing broken. As it is just now, it appears the club sacks you for giving the ultimatum. I wonder how many managers have actually given an ultimatum regardless of being either successful or not. It just seems a pretty extreme thing to do if you still want to have a job.

Just my 0.02pence...

It is an area BADLY needed.

Why we can't talk to the chairman any more than we could over ten years ago is a big issue in my opinion.

In fact the ENTIRE game needs to change this for the better - talking to players too, for example, is too wooden. It needs to be more conversational.

It is an area BADLY needed.

Why we can't talk to the chairman any more than we could over ten years ago is a big issue in my opinion.

In fact the ENTIRE game needs to change this for the better - talking to players too, for example, is too wooden. It needs to be more conversational.

Ten years ago every chairman and board member had unique characteristics that you could see by clicking on them.

Combined with this, there needs to be some way to let you know that if you continue at club, that a new stadium is coming eventually. I am coaching at Ankaragucu in Turkey, which is in a GIGANTIC city. We sell out every match, in our 19,000 seat stadium. This means that every year we are poor because we are competing against huge clubs in giant stadia. In real life, after years of success, they would buy a new stadium if it meant losing a coach who had brought them continued European success after they had never had any.

Archived