Main Problems with Ipod version

1. No attribute search - for me this is inexcusbale, fundamental feature of the game. If this is a case of memory i think people would happily get rid of the 2D pitch or the features off the psp version that have been added on and are not really needed.

2. Inability to swap a sent off player around with other players on pitch - Stupid, expecially when your keeper gets a red card and they have a penalty or you have a defender sent off!

3. Too many red cards? Maybe im just a dirty team but 6 red cards in my last 7 seems a touch unbelievable.

4. Why do you have to select a player like this? Why cant you just touch the section next to the player and it does it in order? (like the psp version), why does a blank team list come up? Time consuming and takes away the pick up and play element in my opinion.

5. No transfer to wage exchange - More or less essential, or maybe its become essential for me after the psp version but seeing that 800k wage budget with me only using 98k and struggling with 240k to spend, it becomes very frustrating.

6. Not a problem with the game but why did it take Championship manager to release an app for Football Manager to do so? Someone made a thread a few months ago that said until a rival psp Manager game becomes available SI will continue to release the same game with 2-3 new features ,they have become lazy with the pc version because CM cant now compete and they wont make an Iphone app unless a rival does. Maybe not true, but the timing of this app does back up their theory, would this be released without CM2010? You decide.

Im sorry if it sounds like im moaning or if these points have been raised and i do appreciate that SI make the best manager games around but there are some fairly big problems with the ipod version on release. Apart from what i have said, this is a great game and i dont want to sound like a moaner even if i did.

• SI Staff
1. No attribute search - for me this is inexcusbale, fundamental feature of the game. If this is a case of memory i think people would happily get rid of the 2D pitch or the features off the psp version that have been added on and are not really needed.

This was omitted on purpose because its simply too slow (you're talking several seconds with the device locked up doing nowt) on an early iPod.

That being said since the release of the product I have ascertain a way to differentiate between the various 'versions' of the devices so I will be looking to add this feature during an update at some stage.

2. Inability to swap a sent off player around with other players on pitch - Stupid, expecially when your keeper gets a red card and they have a penalty or you have a defender sent off!

You CAN swap players with other players on a pitch - however if you bring on a sub then you can't swap him around initially for technical reasons.

I'd suggest swapping the player coming off into the desired position and then doing the sub and all should be well (when swapping players if using the drag/drop approach always move left/right initially when dragging otherwise the table may think you're trying to scroll it incidentally).

All of this isn't 'perfect' I'll readily admit and it is an area of the UI I'll be trying to improve going forward.

3. Too many red cards? Maybe im just a dirty team but 6 red cards in my last 7 seems a touch unbelievable.

Please let me know if this continues as a 'theme' in your game, you can get periods with heavy cards/injuries as there is nothing hard-coded to prevent it, it DOES happen irl incidentally - check out the start of Brightons season this year, it felt 'ludicrous' ... but it was real-life.

4. Why do you have to select a player like this? Why cant you just touch the section next to the player and it does it in order? (like the psp version), why does a blank team list come up? Time consuming and takes away the pick up and play element in my opinion.

You can drag players onto the pitch to select them if you prefer instead of doing the 'click/select' option.

The reason for not 'doing it in order' is simply there wasn't room to present that 'order' on the screen easily and as many users won't be familiar with our products it was felt it'd be too confusing for them as they tried to guess which position came 'next'.

5. No transfer to wage exchange - More or less essential, or maybe its become essential for me after the psp version but seeing that 800k wage budget with me only using 98k and struggling with 240k to spend, it becomes very frustrating.

This is something I'll be looking to add at some stage, although I would mention that the PSP game did manage to survive several released without it (ie. its not THAT essential really).

6. Not a problem with the game but why did it take Championship manager to release an app for Football Manager to do so? Someone made a thread a few months ago that said until a rival psp Manager game becomes available SI will continue to release the same game with 2-3 new features ,they have become lazy with the pc version because CM cant now compete and they wont make an Iphone app unless a rival does. Maybe not true, but the timing of this app does back up their theory, would this be released without CM2010? You decide.

It didn't 'take' CM releasing an Application to cause us to make one at all - I've wanted to do one for a while but please do bear in mind making a game isn't a quick thing to do. I didn't want to do a stripped down game for the iPhone product and cramming everything in took a fair bit of effort to undertake, but I personally think it was worth it.

Im sorry if it sounds like im moaning or if these points have been raised and i do appreciate that SI make the best manager games around but there are some fairly big problems with the ipod version on release. Apart from what i have said, this is a great game and i dont want to sound like a moaner even if i did.

'tis fine - you're well within your rights to complain about things which you don't like ... .to be honest I LIKE people complaining in the constructive manner you have (esp. if they admit they still like the game :D) as it helps us work out where the weak points in our products are and how to improve them.

We'll be supporting the product via. updates now its out and I hope over time we'll manage to address the issues you've raised :D

Marc: "You can drag players onto the pitch to select them if you prefer instead of doing the 'click/select' option."

I didn't realize you could do this, would it be possible to swap positions on the pitch view? I.e. Swap the centre back for left winger etc.

Ps. Didn't do proper quote as I'm on iPhone and it was a wall of text to pick the right bit

• SI Staff
I didn't realize you could do this, would it be possible to swap positions on the pitch view? I.e. Swap the centre back for left winger etc.

You can't currently drag positions from one to another on the pitch - but its something which could possibly be added at a later date.

• Administrators

Its not possible to swap players on the pitch view, but this is how I usually select my squad (EDIT - MV got there first. D'oh :(:D)

Some other suggestions MV:

I personally prefer a very simple, basic finance module built in, to that say of Training. CM2 never had training and that was fine. I understand it might be nice developing attributes and all, though. If its possible to have both, then yes please. (For ex. just a simple figure of how much money the club has would be fine - no breakdown needed IMO)

I'm not a fan of the 2D, possibly because my highlights are barely coherent, but this could be due to the fact I'm using the 4.0 beta? I wouldn't be fussed if it was scrapped (just my opinion. I love whizzing through a season in 6 hours of gameplay on this)

Add All to Shortlist option on the Scouts' results screen

Other suggestions:

When demoting a player to the reserves, we have to promote them in order to access the other player options. Why's this?

Please put in the contract expiring date with the wages on the sort view (in mm/yy format!)

Other suggestions for sort view include (just so we could have 3 columns..):

Natural Position

Current Ability

Potential Ability

And the only other suggestion would be more tactics please - or if you're really looking at expanding, the ability to create our own.

Other than that MV - I am very, very pleased and hooked to the game, just like the old days. The only real criticism I've seen is over the player attributes and the 'strange ME', but I turn the ME off and as for player attributes, I only buy who I scout and its working out very nicely anyway (2 successive promotions in two seasons with Port Vale!)

KUTGW, looking forward to any updates - and please don't release an iPad version until I get one ;)

PS: One last suggestion - if you can find a way of increasing the season limit, please do it!! :)

• Administrators

CM's "playing styles" in formations/tactics just makes me cringe.

"Ok, Ebbsfleet, remember the CL final where United beat Bayern in 99? Play like THAT." :eek:

You CAN swap players with other players on a pitch - however if you bring on a sub then you can't swap him around initially for technical reasons.

I'd suggest swapping the player coming off into the desired position and then doing the sub and all should be well (when swapping players if using the drag/drop approach always move left/right initially when dragging otherwise the table may think you're trying to scroll it incidentally).

I'm sure there is a bug around this somewhere. I've not had enough red cards to try it out (so don't believe #3). But I did find the following on swapping a sub's position. Worth noting, under normal circumstances whilst fiddly I have no problems swapping players positions.

After red card make sub for player you want to bring off.

Confirm change as you can't swap the player at this point.

Go back to tactics.

Swap red carded player for player just brought on.

Confirm change.

Go back to tactics and the swapped players have gone back to their original positions.

I was able to swap any other players (as I did this accidentally as well!) but never the red carded player it would always revert back to the initial places.

Will try again with the next red card I get.

CM's "playing styles" in formations/tactics just makes me cringe.

"Ok, Ebbsfleet, remember the CL final where United beat Bayern in 99? Play like THAT." :eek:

Seriously?!

Archived