Changing my laptop - can I still play my current save?

My current laptop has decided to completely pack in, so I'm gonna have to get a new one. I was just wondering, if I install FM on my new laptop and use my steam log in, will I be able to access the file I currently have? Will I be ok to install FM using the same activation code used to install it on my broken laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Niall

Just copy your game over and any custom databases to the folders in your documents folder, simple! Just treat it like your moving folders to another laptop.

My best advice is just transfer your whole football manager folder from the first laptop to the second!

Make sure you transfer across the SteamApps folder as well, it should be in C:\Program Files\Steam

If you do this then when you log into steam on your new laptop, the games you've got via steam will still be there!

Hmm if your laptop is currently completley knackered and you cannot boot it then you wont be able to get your previous save unless you can remove the HDD and plug it into a different machine so you can access it (in which case if you can stick it on a USB stick and copy over to your new laptop)

Installation wise it will be fine - just install steam and you can then re-install from the my games tab.

I'll struggle to get my old laptop on in truth, and if I can it's likely to crash a few minutes. In case I do, can anybody give me step-by-step instructions on how to get all the relevant files onto a USB so I can plug it into the new one and go from there? I'm not too computer savvy, as you may have gathered.

If I can't get it on and just have to accept my 5 years at Rotherham ended in death, I'll be ok to still get a new game going? I was worried that you could only use one activation code per laptop (to avoid one person buying the game and then 10 of their mates installing it) so I wouldn't be able to install FM10 on the new laptop?

just copy your save to an USB drive , on the other laptop install steam and login on your account ( the same you used on the old laptop ), you can install the game from your games list , just place the save on the same place and your set to go

I'll struggle to get my old laptop on in truth, and if I can it's likely to crash a few minutes. In case I do, can anybody give me step-by-step instructions on how to get all the relevant files onto a USB so I can plug it into the new one and go from there? I'm not too computer savvy, as you may have gathered.

If I can't get it on and just have to accept my 5 years at Rotherham ended in death, I'll be ok to still get a new game going? I was worried that you could only use one activation code per laptop (to avoid one person buying the game and then 10 of their mates installing it) so I wouldn't be able to install FM10 on the new laptop?

If your on Vista the save file is located in C:\Users\your name\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\games

Would assume its the same if on XP.

And no if you've registered your game copy on steam you will have no worrys with re-installing on a different machine as its tied to your steam account instead of your laptop.

Archived