A-League Help

On wikipedia it says that the team that wins the regular season league and the team that wins the the play-off finale series goes into the AFC Champions League. On FM it says that the top two qualify for the AFC Champions League. Does that mean only the two that finish 1st and 2nd go into it?

On my FM save it says 2 teams qualify for the Champions League. It doesn't say the top two. The season's summary lists the qualifiers as Melbourne and Newcastle as the finals play-off winner and runner up respectively. It also lists Adelaide as having qualified for some reason. That may be because they are listed as Champions League runners up in 2008.

In Australia the top 6 go into a finals play-off series so even 6th place can presumably qualify for the CL.

Cheers dude, it's a bit different to my normal comfort zone of Spain or England.

No problem.

I just thought. It said Melbourne qualified through winning the finals play off but they also came top of the league series. I suppose that in normal circumstances the game would select the winner of the league series and the winner of the play off (as in real life as stated by wiki), but as Melbourne won both, then the runner up of the play off qualified. Newcastle came second in the league, too. I don;t know what would have happened had they not. Who is ranked above who if one team wins both stages and there are two different runners up?

The way it is in the league proper is that the winner of the league section qualifies for the ACL and as you say, the winner of the play-off series. If that's the same team, then it's the runner-up of the play-off series that qualifies, not the runner-up in the league. Haven't played the A-League in this version, but past versions of FM have had that right, so I assume that's how it'll work here.

I managed to somehow win the play-off and qualified for the AFC Champions League. The main reason I asked is I tried to create the New Zealand league on FM and couldn't see anyway to have the same sort of thing happen in that league. The league winner and the play-off winner go into the OFC Champions League in real life but I couldn't get that option in the editor.

Archived