Moving from FM07 to FM10 - Questions

Hello folks,

I've been playing FM07 for several years now, and finally decided to get FM10 shipped to me. It's yet to arrive, but I had some questions before it does.

1) Regens

I saw someone post something about buying a regen at the start of the initial season... are regens now being generated before the game starts, rather than at the end of the first season?

Are central midfielders given reasonable Marking attributes upon generation? In FM07, you had to search high and low for a good defensive midfielder with good marking stats, because they were always generated with dreadful marking, unless they were DC/DMC type players.

2) Team Talks

Are team talks somewhat more balanced now? In FM07, if you were down a goal and had access to "I want to see more from you!" it was pretty much an automatic comeback win. Unfortunately, same thing went for the AI. Has this been sorted out?

3) Transfers

I've seen a lot of posts in the forum about being able to transfer players much more easily. While that's certainly a nice change, a lot of people seem to think it's gone overboard. Is this a problem when you're getting rid of good players, or does this really become a noticable problem when you're clearing out junk players?

4) Boardroom

Is the board still willing to give you a bit of leeway if you make a promise that you just fall shy of keeping? Say you guarantee promotion, and you end up in the playoffs-- is that good enough, or is that the sort of thing that'll likely get you sacked?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I'm just trying to get a handle on what FM10 is gonna be like, compared to FM07. Given the thousands of hours I've spent on FM07, it's gonna be a big change.

Hello mate, definitely worth the upgrade!

1. Regens are generally better than FM07. Still some quibbles (DC's with low jumping stats) but 10.3 has improved things.

2. Team talks haven't changed too much. I don't think they're too overpowered but others do. There are certainly no gimmes though of used sensibly.

3. By far the best improvement. I remember the days of 07 having to keep rubbish players in the reserves for years because no one would buy them! Thankfully this is no longer the case. The only snag people have found is that some of the richer top teams will buy dud players for high fees. Again 10.3 has improved this but not perfected it.

4. Boards are pretty reasonable. Varies from club to club but the confidence screen helps a lot as you can get regular info about what the board thinks.

Hope this helps!

1. Regens are so-so. The problem now isn't the marking attribute, it's positioning, and stamina. I think 07's regens were too strong at times, that doesn't happen now.

2. Team talks are the same as 07

3. It's fairly easy to sell off rubbish players to teams of their level, but the flip side is it's also easy to sell them to Man City.

4. It depend on the board. There are some new bugs introduced because of the confidence screen, but that feature has plus points.

The 07 ME is far stronger than the current one, which is the main reason not to upgrade.

1) Regens

Some teams generate random players at the beginning of the game to fill up numbers. This is especially so for teams lower down the pyramid. Youth teams also seem to have newgens at the start of the game. I don't know how common this is for the big teams but I know Bournemouth certainly have generated players in their youth team at game start.

I haven't really got far enough to notice anything about regens stats.

2) Team Talks

I haven't noticed anything unusual from team talks. I can only assume that they have been balanced. I've seen some games where I have asked my players to play better in teh second half and they have. Further on in the season I'll get an equally bad performance in the second half.

3) Transfers

I've noticed a fair few players being taken on my other clubs that I thought I'd never get rid of. Similarly, I haven't had any problems keeping players I want to keep. Saying that, I'm not a long way in and I've a few players that may become targets in the off-season. I hope it's as easy to keep them as it was to keep a midfielder by offering him a new contract after someone else tried to.

4) Boardroom

Well I do notice a few problems with what the board has found to grumble about. For instance I'll beat a team a league above me in a cup and they won't notice it, yet lose to a team two leagues above me and they'll find it terrible. Fans should be fickle, so I accept that, but when the board are unhappy I drew with my closest title challenger after a very good season I have to wonder. It hasn't led to any sackings yet.

I think you'll be very happy with the game. I am.

Archived