My Newgen's Position (or lack of it)

Ok so I have just bought the newgen below who is natural as both an attacking midfielder left and midfielder left and is all so accomplished as a defender left (as seen below). So as he was pretty good in both positions, I thought he would be perfect as an attacking/automatic wing back - but he is ineffectual as a left wing back! :eek:

How can this be? As seen below surely it would make sense that if he can play as both a winger and a full back then surely he would be perfect as a wing back or at the very least could play there pretty easily in terms of his compatibility. Am I missing something here? I know a simple bit of positional training will solve this but I believe he should be at least accomplished as a wing back.

Marico.png

Marico2.png

So guys am I wrong in thinking he should be able to play as a wing back or should he. And if you feel just becasue he can play as a winger and full back does not mean he can play as a wing back can you please say why please. Cheers guys! ;)

Perhaps because positioning is not a strength of his, he prefers another player playing either in front or behind him. As he looks quite attacking, perhaps he struggles to find the balance between attacking and defending that is key for a wing back?

Perhaps because positioning is not a strength of his, he prefers another player playing either in front or behind him. As he looks quite attacking, perhaps he struggles to find the balance between attacking and defending that is key for a wing back?

Yeah I take your point but I believe it is an error on behalf of SI. It would be like a runner been able to be very good at the 100m and 200m but not being able to run 150m! (I know silly example :D but I just feel its not very realistic) It would be a bit like a player who could play at CB and MC but not being able to play DM. But I think your point is very valid and does make me look at it in a different light!

I'd almost wonder if there should be a system whereby playing a player in a certain position can slightly improve their rating in it.

After all, a huge number of players start off life as a winger and end up as a centre back or whatever.

Sure wasn't Sol Campbell a striker the first time he was in a Champ Manager way back when?

I'd almost wonder if there should be a system whereby playing a player in a certain position can slightly improve their rating in it.

After all, a huge number of players start off life as a winger and end up as a centre back or whatever.

Sure wasn't Sol Campbell a striker the first time he was in a Champ Manager way back when?

I thought it already does, although that may only be when you are also training them in it.

Yes, Sol started his career as a striker. Scored on his Spurs debut I believe.

You can often find newgens with odd positions. I mean how many players in the starting database are only proficent at AMC, AML/R, or WBL, but once the newgens come in there are loads.

One thing you might consider is that the AI managers love training players in new positions, I've taken over clubs and found 7-8 players being retrained. So his old club may have trained him at LB rather then being generated with Accomplished LB.

As Katarian has said it looks like the AI team you bought him from has retrained him as a left back rather than him being generated with the left back position, if the AI did train him as a left back and you don't play him there you'll notice over time that his ability to play left back will drop.

As Katarian has said it looks like the AI team you bought him from has retrained him as a left back rather than him being generated with the left back position, if the AI did train him as a left back and you don't play him there you'll notice over time that his ability to play left back will drop.
yep^^ my guess would also be that he was generated being only a mid and attacking mid and he was retrained as a defender
You can often find newgens with odd positions. I mean how many players in the starting database are only proficent at AMC, AML/R, or WBL, but once the newgens come in there are loads.

One thing you might consider is that the AI managers love training players in new positions, I've taken over clubs and found 7-8 players being retrained. So his old club may have trained him at LB rather then being generated with Accomplished LB.

Yes that could well be the case and it is a very interesting point - but having been a natural at LM and AML and being retrained as a LB - then surely once the player was trained as a LB he should have become at least competent at LWB or even better? So it kind of goes back to my original point that once the LB was established then the LWB was kind of prerequisite- the opposite of mutually exclusive if that makes sense! :D

Would that be potentially inclusive!!! :eek:

Its all about his position. In real life I have used excellent players who can play as both full backs and wingers however' date=' once you mention the word "wingback" they look at you as if you're speaking in a foreign language. Then they go out there and perform badly.[/quote']

Yeah the mental approach of the player is something that I did not really consider. ;)

But if the manager said RWB it would be alot more understandable - as the player had any any sense about him would think apply both his attacking qualities of AML and his defensive duties as a LB and incorporate them together - but yes i do appreciate that it is may be a lot harder in practise.

Archived