Some realism in AI formations perhaps?!

5212? Has anyone EVER seen this played in England.

Worse still teams down to 10 men playing 5112 with success.

I dont question my inability to break them down as playing around these incredibly narrow formations doesnt seem to work but who on earth though this was acceptible or realistic?! Does anyone at SI watch REAL football games?!

i always go on about this on neoseeker, walsall in league 1, i play exeter at my stadium im like yay easy win, then they come with some crazy win and ALWAYS win me regardless of match odds, i cant remember what they play, norwich use 4-1-2-1 as i remember it on game and they OUTPLAYED me when i was using wingers so how did they out play me, lol, no way can league 1 managers so oftenly tactically out class other managers, i rarely see any league 1 team in real life not use 4-4-2

The default formation for when a man has been sent off should be 4-4-1. I can't think of a sensible time not to do this, though maybe some teams would use 5-3-1 if they normally use wing backs.

Agree- I always use 441 when down to 10, or if im chasing go to 342. Its crazy as I think Ive got my tactics correct to play around these incredibly narrow formations and also double up on the DR/DLs yet they incredibly seem to be able to pile 6 or 7 men forward AND always get men behind the ball.

A response from SI would be nice as to why tactics and formations in FM have little realism. The game is no longer about applying your real world football knowledge but cracking the game.

I was starting to be impressed with FM10 but this kind of thing ruins it really.

Hmm this is very annoying as pretty much EVERY team now uses it against me. I dominate games in terms of possession, have many CCCs and yet teams at the bottom cut apart my defence with a single through ball when they choose from their 1 or 2 chances. Playing an anchor man doesnt help- its horrible how my defenders suddenly choose not to defend.

Sorry SI but your ME has gone downhill once again- at least give us a realistic challenge, as the way the game suddenly flips with unrealistic yet supremely effective formations is to rubbish.

Would anyone from SI like to tell me what English team plays a 4212? Nope thought not....

Manchester United played something similar when they went down to 10 men against Bayern. Threw on John O'Shea and moved to three at the back, three in midfield with Evra and Valencia down the flanks and Nani upfront on his own. Benitez has experimented with some strange 3-at-the-back formations aswell.

I don't see why it shouldn't be a valid defensive formation just because it doesn't pop up on Match of the Day at the kick-off lineup and formation screen.

Manchester United played something similar when they went down to 10 men against Bayern. Threw on John O'Shea and moved to three at the back, three in midfield with Evra and Valencia down the flanks and Nani upfront on his own. Benitez has experimented with some strange 3-at-the-back formations aswell.

I don't see why it shouldn't be a valid defensive formation just because it doesn't pop up on Match of the Day at the kick-off lineup and formation screen.

Aside from the fact that that is nothing like 5-1-1-2? You've described 3-5-1.

The default formation for when a man has been sent off should be 4-4-1. I can't think of a sensible time not to do this, though maybe some teams would use 5-3-1 if they normally use wing backs.

My real life team uses a 432 if they go down to 10 men. Going 441 usually leads to gifting possession away. 432 allows you to put pressure on the other team.

Thats nothing like a 5212 is it? As has been said you have described a 531/351. Its not similar at all, and certainly nothing like 5112.

Still I love the logic or lack of it in FM- as teams play these ridiculous formations to counter my all conquering (until now) team, my solution is to do the same, and just sit back. Its so stupid, so so unrealistic that the game works this way.

Archived