FMH iPhone/iPod Australian Pricing

On reading the announcement of the new iPhone app I immediately went to the iTunes store only to find that the gane is going to cost AUD $15. After a quick currency check I found that this equates to about 9 UK Pounds. Is there any reason for the discrepency between the two prices (refering to 6.99 pound price in UK). Now I'm not criticising or saying that this is bad because I still think that it is a fantastic effort by SI to get so much quality gaming for such a small price, but I justed was wondering why the almost 30% price difference was in place.

Cheers

The same reason a new game in the US for the PS3/360 costs say, $59.99 (http://www.gamestop.com/Browse/Search.aspx?N=141+105) and yet the same game here in Aus will be RRP$109.95, before various retailers discount it. This despite the $0.92 conversion rate between the Aus dollar and the US dollar at the moment. For the most part, it's a rort; hidden behind excuses like local taxes, cost of shipping and distribution and other nonsense factors that shouldn't be relevant in this day and age.

However, digital distribution makes most of those factors irrelevant. I believe apple has a say on regional pricing, similar to Steam, which would explain this particular discrepancy.

FWIW, I am thoroughly enjoying my $15 well spent last night!

Archived