PSP vs iPhone

Would someone who has both versions of FMH be able to elaborate on the main differences? I've only played the first version on PSP and that was a long time ago; as far as I can tell there isn't too much different? My main complaint about the PSP game was lack of tactical options and that's my main issue with this one too.

• SI Staff

Main differences between the two games:

* Slightly more limited tactics in the iPhone version (no direct Player instructions)

* Only one league active at a time (unlike the 3 selectable on the PSP)

* No trading money between Transfer and Wage budgets on iPhone version at present

* Can't filter searches with attributes on iPhone game.

I think thats about it tbh ... although be warned I might have forgot something as this is just off the top of my head.

I have PSP 2009 and 2010 and also the Iphone version.

As Marc pointed out there are a couple of differences between the two. I miss the player instructions but I can live without for now.

The PSP version does have 1 or 2 more pitch options. i.e. extended highlights or goals only. (If I remember rightly, haven't played it for a little while).

Playability wise, I think they are about the same. (Obviously with the exception of the touch screen). The 2d pitch is the same and you can display the same information during a match. i.e. live league table, player stats etc. Although displayed slightly differently, you can do pretty much the same as you can with the PSP version. Once you get used to the touch screen, compared with the PSP method, it plays better IMO.

I believe that the Ipod/Iphone also carries a better technical spec in terms of memory/processing speed etc. which allows more potential in future versions.

As this is £6.99 and the PSP version retails anywhere between £15 and £25 I feel this also gives better value for money.

The instructions are also free to download via the app store.

Oh, and it doesn't kill the battery, unlike some Iphone games.

I As this is £6.99 and the PSP version retails anywhere between £15 and £25 I feel this also gives better value for money.

Yeah, I said this elsewhere. The PSP version now looks like relatively poor value for money because so much of FMH is in the iPhone version. With the PSP hardware being pretty static though I'm not sure what you can do. Extra features could be added but that would slow down the game.

I have PSP 2009 and 2010 and also the Iphone version.

As Marc pointed out there are a couple of differences between the two. I miss the player instructions but I can live without for now.

The PSP version does have 1 or 2 more pitch options. i.e. extended highlights or goals only. (If I remember rightly, haven't played it for a little while).

Playability wise, I think they are about the same. (Obviously with the exception of the touch screen). The 2d pitch is the same and you can display the same information during a match. i.e. live league table, player stats etc. Although displayed slightly differently, you can do pretty much the same as you can with the PSP version. Once you get used to the touch screen, compared with the PSP method, it plays better IMO.

I believe that the Ipod/Iphone also carries a better technical spec in terms of memory/processing speed etc. which allows more potential in future versions.

As this is £6.99 and the PSP version retails anywhere between £15 and £25 I feel this also gives better value for money.

The instructions are also free to download via the app store.

This was something i was very impressed with.

• SI Staff

I've been quite careful on all our handheld games to try and minimise battery usage, no one likes something which drains their device quickly imho ..

PS - Please do be aware that if you have an older iPhone the battery retention on it might not be as good as with a new device, I've noticed that my 1st iTouch seems to 'give up the ghost' generally (regardless of app active) much faster than my 3g phone (which is a good 2 years or so newer), tbh I don't know if this is because the battery tech has improved in later versions or simply 'wear and tear' on the older device ...

• SI Staff
Are you looking into including attribute search's in any future updates marc?

Can become frustrating looking at every single player in a search result that brings up 100+ pages!

Its something which I'll definitely look into in due course - I'll be honest though, the initial updates will cover critical issues first and foremost with addition 'features' like that sneaking into later ones once I'm happy everyone is up and playing ok.

• SI Staff
Marc, I know it is early days for updates.

Will future updates accomodate transfer updates? Can this be done on the ipod/iphone?

Nothing confirmed with regards to transfer updates at present - should be possible I'd expect (but nothing agreed at present internally in this regard, there's a HECK of a lot of coordination goes into updating the db so its not something I can decide alone).

I can confirm that there will be a small update included in the first update made available which simply corrects a few missing players and suchlike.

Just found this game on itunes apps after recently getting an iphone. Is this game going to get many more if any updates, or is it basically wait for FM 2011 on the iphone for improvements?

Just want to know before I fork out the dough as it's one of the more expensive iphone games out there. $15 Australian it costs. Seen people with a few issues in terms of bugs here and there.

• SI Staff
Just found this game on itunes apps after recently getting an iphone. Is this game going to get many more if any updates, or is it basically wait for FM 2011 on the iphone for improvements?

I'll be actively supporting it to the best of my ability; I'm very much in favour of on-going support for our products as much as possible.

I'll be actively supporting it to the best of my ability; I'm very much in favour of on-going support for our products as much as possible.

So you mean you're doing all the updates by yourself, or you mean the team?

That's cool though, just curious is there an issue with receiving a call during a game? Think I saw a complaint about it, is this a known issue?

Also is FM going to be released annually on iphone? Seeing as from what I can see this is the first iphone release.

• SI Staff
So you mean you're doing all the updates by yourself, or you mean the team?

The team - although the iPhone development team is normally a somewhat compact team .... err ... consisting of me doing the design & coding, Chris doing the art* and Rich being dragged in to help when needed** ;)

(it should however also be mentioned that the iPhone game shares much of its code base with the existing FMH PSP product and takes an extraction of the FM PC game database - so everyone who's worked on those games has had a hand in the iPhone game even if they haven't 'directly' worked on the project)

A big 'hurrah' also has to be given to Stuart Warren and David Milmine in QA without whom the game wouldn't be as good at is it note least because they stepped far out of their remit and helped hugely by formatting the scripts used to drive the text in the Manual Application when I was too busy to do so (so thanks for that chaps :D). I want to stress how helpful all the chaps in QA have been during the development of this game as I feel generally they don't get the kudo's they deserve ...

Finally everyone at SI has assisted in the development of the game in some manner, either through feedback and play-testing etc. ... don't underestimate how much the creation of all SI's games is a team effort, even if people aren't directly involved in the coding of a product having creative and professional people around you inspiring you is incredibly helpful imho.

(sorry for rambling a bit - but I just wanted to stress that the development of ALL our games is very much a team effort regardless of the product)

That's cool though, just curious is there an issue with receiving a call during a game? Think I saw a complaint about it, is this a known issue?

The game will automatically save when a phone call is accepted HOWEVER it will not save your in match progress - so if you accept a call at 2-0 with 3 minutes to go you'll have to replay the match when you reload.

This is for technical reasons and at some point I hope to over-come this limitation.

Also is FM going to be released annually on iphone? Seeing as from what I can see this is the first iphone release.

I'm hopeful that this will be the start of a series - but obviously thats dependant on its performance and things beyond my direct control.

*Chris does much more than just draw stuff bear in mind (although Chris has had to do a LOT of that, I have the artistic ability of a lump of wood), he's had a huge say in a lot of the GUI and has generally been bloody brilliant to work with :D

**Rich is kept rather busy with the PSP game but is kind enough to help out when I start going utterly insane ;)

Archived