How to nurture a good young player.

Is it possible to overplay youngsters and limit their progress?

I don't mean to the point of fatigue, but it is possible to overexpose young players to first team action?

yes, im not exactly sure what the best amount to play them is but at 16 i would say 25% max mostly from the bench

in one of my saves i have a regen whom ive played 90% from the age of 16, hes now 18 and close to his peak already, but hasnt shown any signs of over using him yet.

However, like andyprime said, involve him a lot from the bench and do not play him too much unless you have to

If he is good enough...play him. If he is not ready, he will not be good enough and therefore the best thing to do is give him small periods of exposure to the first team. If he is playing well, keep him in the team, he will get better if he has the potential to do so.

I would use the example of Romelu Lukaku at the moment at Anderlecht. He's a brilliant talent, but the manager tries to use him as sparingly as possible so as not to burn him out. Is a good model to follow in my opinion.

This is waht I'm wondering about in FM. There's obviously physical burn out, which is pretty easy to spot but is there any kind of mental burn out?

Can giving a 16 year old a full season but keeping him perfectly fit damage his prospects if he doesn't get the 'feeling the pressure of public expectations' worry?

This is waht I'm wondering about in FM. There's obviously physical burn out, which is pretty easy to spot but is there any kind of mental burn out?

Can giving a 16 year old a full season but keeping him perfectly fit damage his prospects if he doesn't get the 'feeling the pressure of public expectations' worry?

i think it differs from player to player

Get him in a striker based training schedule, and play him as much as possible. I don't believe in burn-out for young players in FM, and the more you play them, the more they will improve and the better that they will get.

I imagine personality and some of the hidden stats would play a part in things.

Would make for a good CSE experiment. Put a team of strong 16 year olds in a relatively easy league, manage them, and play them in the season, using some rotation with back up youngsters, and see what happens.

Get him in a striker based training schedule, and play him as much as possible. I don't believe in burn-out for young players in FM, and the more you play them, the more they will improve and the better that they will get.

That's what I've always done, I just wondered if anyone knew any good reason why I shouldn't be doing this.

I once played Marek Hamsik in practically every game of the first season in FM09 because I had such a small squad. It said he was jaded and in need of a rest, but I carried on playing him. His attributes fell a quite a bit, he was poor at the start of the new season, and then got injured for 6 months.

So maybe it works on a greater scale for even younger players. Basically I think if you play them week in, week out, it could be a problem.

I think you should play him every opportunity you get that will not put him under too much pressure.

Ex: If you got a 3 goal lead, if your playing preseason friendlies, if you are heavy favorites, matches towards the end of your season if you are not fighting for relegation/promotion etc.

Make sure to tell him 'No pressure' before games you do play him.

Good Luck :thup:

That's what I've always done, I just wondered if anyone knew any good reason why I shouldn't be doing this.

The only reason I can think of is if they are not playing well. If they're playing 30ish games a season and are bad for the majority of those it might knock their confidence, lower their morale and I guess motivation.

All guesswork though, I don't know if that has an effect on training and development!

Don't forget to partner him up with a good tutor if you can. I try to have at least one veteran striker/mid/defender on my squad at all times to help out my youngest players. A high determination stat is the main thing I look for.

Ok, silly question. How do you assign tutor? I seems to be only able to do that when my backroom staff suggests it.

It is via the player interaction, but will only appear under certain conditions. Shame I can't remember what those conditions are but I'm sure you can't do it while teaching him a PPM.

Well that's the thing really. Mental "burnout" doesn't exist in the same way as Fatigue and Jadedness exists, but something like "mental burnout" could appear to happen if his Reputation accelerates away before his Personality has developed to cope with the consequences.

There is 'feeling the pressure of public expectations' but the same player could also easilly be distracted by other managers or get far too full of himself and generally be far more likely to display all those nasty negative traits/problems associated with poor personalities.

And if his Reputation does rocket away too far too quickly, it becomes incredibly difficult to Mentor him into a better Personality as mentors need to have a larger Reputation than Mentorees.

So developing a youngsters Reputation too quickly in the short term might not lead to a "Mental Burnout trait" but could theoretically completely stunt his entire career, let alone make him more difficult to manage.

Speaking of which, anyone done a study on how much Tutoring helps in the increase the hidden stat Professionalism? I've got couple 16/17 year olds in my team with 3 or 2.5 star potential ratings and Balanced personalities. They're now in their second round of tutoring and their personalities are still Balanced and normal stats have barely gone up in about a year. I play as Man U, it would be hard to get them too much play time unless I thought that they could get close to their Max quick.

Meanwhile bought a 16 year old that came with Professional personality, and he's been getting a lot of normal attribute increases. Only had him tutored once as he's a midfielder and the only other Professional midfielder I had was Fletcher.

Archived