FMH for Android?

• SI Staff
Will we ever see FMH for Android? Would be great to play this on HTC Desire :D

There isn't anything scheduled for other phones or devices at present I'm afraid - that being said I'd love to mess around with an Android phone given half a chance, in the long term time will tell .... and obviously if it does ever happen we'd announce it here in due course.

yes for Android phones please...

I had 3 iphones and I was asked that more of the game here for the iphone, but due to low battery problem that affects the device switched to a HTC with android that I love and I wish I could be expected to have also

I have noticed that many people have changed the iPhone for Android phones, rotten to become a good device to receive a version of this game the same level

• 3 weeks later...
There isn't anything scheduled for other phones or devices at present I'm afraid - that being said I'd love to mess around with an Android phone given half a chance, in the long term time will tell .... and obviously if it does ever happen we'd announce it here in due course.

Why not with 1 in 5 phones being sold an android phone and a bigger market than iphone surely it would make more sense? To develop for the bigger market?

• SI Staff
Why not with 1 in 5 phones being sold an android phone and a bigger market than iphone surely it would make more sense? To develop for the bigger market?

At present the iPhone installed user base is far larger than that of the Android phones.

There are some analysts who believe that the current trend will continue and around 2012 this might reverse*, but thats predicting the future and not something I'd like to try to do myself.

(also please do bear in mind I'm just a developer the business decisions such as what is financially viable as a platform aren't down to me)

*http://www.intomobile.com/2009/03/06/android-os-smartphone-sales-to-surpass-iphone-sales-by-2012.html

Pls tell whoever does make the business decisions that there are 34 different mobile handsets that are Android based rather than the one iPhone (albeit in various versions), that represents a BIG market and one that's growing every month. C'mon! FM2010 would be so sweet on my Xperia X10. Whilst the iPhone market share remains consistent (25% of the smartphone market), Android's share of the market has something like quadrupled in the last 6 months. And with the HTC Evo 4G coming this summer Apple might finally be blown out if the water.

Football Manager on Android for the masses now PLEASE!

Pls tell whoever does make the business decisions that there are 34 different mobile handsets that are Android based rather than the one iPhone (albeit in various versions), that represents a BIG market and one that's growing every month. C'mon! FM2010 would be so sweet on my Xperia X10. Whilst the iPhone market share remains consistent (25% of the smartphone market), Android's share of the market has something like quadrupled in the last 6 months. And with the HTC Evo 4G coming this summer Apple might finally be blown out if the water.

I agree. I work for one of the major european mobitel corps. and the current strategy is based on the belief that android has an eaven bigger potential than Iphone. The last android phones such as the HTC Desire are far more value for money than the apple phones. Quicker, more powerful and have a far more up to date OS than Iphone who's OS is old Unix taken a few steps further.

I think SI are making real miscalculation not to jump on the android train. Why support one plattform only available to one phonemanufacturer, when its possible to get into market w the three really big phonemanufacturers via android. I strongly advice you to try the new HTC desire to get a taste of how great android and many of the phones running it really are.

Football manager for Android... cmon guys.

Guess FMH for iPhone is a project for now to see how people respond (esp. new folks who haven't played FM yet), to test waters with the new distribution method, etc.

Everything that happens on iPhone could benefit any other of the new Phone Os in the future. The PSP market won't be forever, and the iPhone is a first step to build new / replace market share. It's important now to get on par with features between iPhone/PSP for a new version or update.

Then, what many people forget while talking about FMH on iPhone or for other phones. FMH isnt just tackling iPhoners. iPod touch dramatically increases installed user base. No other phone comes even close yet.

I feel it only right to mention that the article you linked was more than a year old. both iphone and android have moved on a long way since then...im aware a lot of early adopters of iphone jumping over to android. And dont forget that statistics include the north american market....not known as a football loving nation....except for their own version with an odd shaped ball. pleeeeese get yourselves an android and then give us access to this top game or im gonna have to get real football manager :-(

If you're interested, I'll *willingly* take bets that the new iPhone will outsell the evo 4g....

• 1 month later...

it probably will outsell the evo 4g but will it outsell the evo 4g + the htc desire + googles nexus one + XPERIA X10 + HTC Hero + HTC Wildfire + Samsung Galaxy S + Dell Streak + etc etc the point i think everyone is making is that the android is multi phone software unlike apples iphones.

I do agree though that if FMH is successful on iphone then it will no doubt make it over to android at some point. Why would the developers spend so much money on developing for android if it is going to be a big flop? thats y i think the console versions of FM were dropped...

• SI Staff
it probably will outsell the evo 4g but will it outsell the evo 4g + the htc desire + googles nexus one + XPERIA X10 + HTC Hero + HTC Wildfire + Samsung Galaxy S + Dell Streak + etc etc the point i think everyone is making is that the android is multi phone software unlike apples iphones.

That is unfortunately also part of the challenge with potentially developing for the Android - there are a huge amount of phones and specs available for the device with their capabilities varying wildly; as such its a far more intensive (and costly) experience both for development but also crucially for testing.

(not saying that we won't developer an Android version at some point in the future - just wanted to point out that a fragmented market isn't always a great thing)

Incidentally you chaps are aware that if you have an iTouch you can play FMHi on that? - it doesn't need an actual iPhone ...

PS - Love that mockup btw

• 3 weeks later...

I think your 2012 prediction is way off, android as a whole could over take iOS before the end of next year, I understand the fragmentation issue, but I think now is the time to start developing, you make it sound like android is a niche product and not many people have it, 160,000 activations a day!!..thats more than the iphone 4 perday and is only growing!!

and with 2.2 froyo around the corner the game could be as big as it could just be installed on sd card!!

• 3 weeks later...

I would rather someone just augmented CM01/02 (with an update of course) for android as it was so much quicker than any of these new football management games, I think my Xperia has more RAM, HDD space and and a faster processor than my first PC so............

• SI Staff
CM01-02

You are aware that the FMH series of games is built upon an enhanced CM01-02 engine? ..... if you haven't already give FMH (in one of its guises) a whirl, you might be pleasantly surprised.

• 2 months later...

Android is the fastets growing mobile platform in the world. (Just check yourselves.)

In not too long, android market will be just as big as the Apple app store. Don't miss out on this opportunity for yourselves, not to mention for the fans. Just imagine FM on a 4,3/5" mobile screen. beautiful. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mark and fellow android,

Ive been playing your football mgmt game since CM 01/02 and to tell the truth, u guys surely are the best in developing football management game by far.

But to choose Iphone over Android? Come on... During the initial launching of Iphone, you are right to say that there are a lot of Iphone user based. Fastfwd to Oct 2010, Android has not only catch up with Iphone, but have overtaken the Iphone in all subject.

I believe most of you at SI also have an android phone and are dying to see people all over the world playing FMH on their android rather than only 1 platform which is the iphone, right?

Cheers

This is getting seriously boring now. Marc has explained over and over why an iPhone version was created and that at the moment there are no plans for others version but if/when there are then we will be informed of this.

Which device/OS/platform etc is irrelevant right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I personally am still looking for an android FMH like all the rest of you and I know it's been discussed for a long tim e but now you must surely see that the market has grown enough to suffice the making of this version of the much loved game! I will hopefully never be buying an apple product again so an android version would be ideal for me! I would happily pay about £10 for this as well! So SI! Get your butts in gear...

The thing is stothy, the iPhone one started out as a personal project by Marc to see how it looked. The Android isn't that easy though as compared to the iPhone version there are 100s of resolutions it must fit in and each one needs to be specially designed by one man - Marc.

The thing is stothy, the iPhone one started out as a personal project by Marc to see how it looked. The Android isn't that easy though as compared to the iPhone version there are 100s of resolutions it must fit in and each one needs to be specially designed by one man - Marc.

(Note, I'm still working my way through the documentation)

Doesn't the Android SDK have stuff in place to help deal with the mass of resolutions? I always thought the main problem was the different hardware stats and that the iOS runs on Objective C and Android ran on Java.

• SI Staff
(Note, I'm still working my way through the documentation)

Doesn't the Android SDK have stuff in place to help deal with the mass of resolutions? I always thought the main problem was the different hardware stats and that the iOS runs on Objective C and Android ran on Java.

Both Android and Objective-C have some SDK items which for certain styles of applications can assist in rescaling to different resolutions.

Unfortunately for football management games they tend to be very text heavy and layout restricted - as such the assistant items don't provide the facility to fully cope with different resolutions and suchlike - especially when working on devices with (relatively) low resolutions and a touch screen interface ... this of course means they have to be created by hand by someone for each resolution to a greater or lesser extent.

(so its that and the differences in languages whichi would make the Android a challenging port - not indicate it won't happen at some stage, BUT no promises chaps ... as usual we'll let you know in due course if things change)

PS - Ceirdiff, if you're playing on the Droid - You can kinda compile in 'C' on the Android but in practice from what I've heard the actual performance from doing so is far from optimal (you'd probably be surprised at how heavily tweaked for performance FMHi is, its vital imho that it stays 'nippy' if its to retain its 'pick up and play' appeal).

• 2 months later...

Yeah, that's the way Sigames, sorry, but sucks. They are doing - nothing to get more users and also incomes - seems that SIgames has no worries about world f. crysis.

Didn't bought new FM11 for PC too, as to show that ignorance for a huge amount of users(android users) is not a best thing U can do!

Ozzoo, have you not read Marc Vaughans responses? Not least the facts about different resolutions, hardwares, and underlying programming language. There are a heck of a lot of barriers in the way ;)

@Marc Vaughan, I was under the impression that Java itself was not so nippy, so I doubt you'd notice much difference in speed between a C program and Java port :p

Assuming that the game is using OpenGL, I know for a fact that SDL has a function for resizing images, would it not be possible to resize all the images, and not have positioning hardcoded? Or would that just be really resource heavy, and potentially ugly?

• SI Staff
@Marc Vaughan, I was under the impression that Java itself was not so nippy, so I doubt you'd notice much difference in speed between a C program and Java port :p

If we do the game on the Android I'd want it to be of a comparable standard (as far as possible) to the iPhone game, that requires at least a reasonable performance (which I think will be possible - BUT the difference in languages will mean a lot of work and obviously until investigation is undertaken we can't even guarentee its feasibility - what I will say is we won't just do a cheap port).

Assuming that the game is using OpenGL, I know for a fact that SDL has a function for resizing images, would it not be possible to resize all the images, and not have positioning hardcoded? Or would that just be really resource heavy, and potentially ugly?

Resizing the images is easy - the problem is the text, if you resize text then it generally becomes 'ragged' and in the worst case unclear to read. This happens most notably if you have an unclean scaling ratio which is why iPhone simulation on an iPad uses a 'clean' scaling resolution (2x) rather than trying to fill up the entire iPad display.

On a related but seperate note - it might interest people to know that one of the first things I did when I got my iPad was to just 'scale' up the application to see if it'd be acceptable like that it 'worked' but the text looked nasty imho and while we could have cashed in by releasing '**** on a stick' (so to speak) thats not how SI operate, we want to make the best games possible on whatever platform we're working upon.

It might take us a while to move across and encompass platform, but at least you're assured when we do so that the game will be worth getting imho.

I also would love to see Football Manger on Android.

If resolution is one of the main limiting factors, I'm sure that you can restrict the app to only be available on devices with a higher resolution (such as WVGA, which is of course much higher than iPhone 3GS). Angry Birds was only available for WVGA devices when it was first released and they only released it to lower-end android phones later.

Obviously, it wouldn't be easy to develop the game for a new platform, but there is no doubt that Android is hugely popular and its customer base will only increase. It has already equalled the number of iPhone users in America and surely the Android version would be more widely adopted than the PSP.

I have played the series since CM2 and would love to have another way to get my FM fix without lugging my laptop around!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear SI,

Seeing as you aren't interested (yet) to invest in the android market, i have another idea: provide an API? I'll code the android version myself if you give me the API for it. If this doesn't work for SI for security/policy reasons, at least provide a FML button that does "Export to XML fiele", with which 3rd party developers can code some form of visualization platform of your latest data export. At the very least it would give you your team "on-the-go" and let you work on your formation and tactics, save them as FML tactic and import them in FML.

In my opinion, if you are truly serious about getting football manager on android, then start programming a football simulator now; leave player classes as just empty frames to be filled later.

Once you've got it to a decent standard, that's when you write an email to SI asking if they want to brand your game...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, it's an old thread but <edited by admin>

There is hope for an official release though in the near future, Sony are releasing playstation suite later this year which is basically a set of tools to develop playstation software for android and other platforms, the FM devs should look into this as it might be the best option for porting the existing psp version the the next generation of android handsets.

• 4 weeks later...
That is unfortunately also part of the challenge with potentially developing for the Android - there are a huge amount of phones and specs available for the device with their capabilities varying wildly; as such its a far more intensive (and costly) experience both for development but also crucially for testing.

(not saying that we won't developer an Android version at some point in the future - just wanted to point out that a fragmented market isn't always a great thing)

To be fair the same could be said about PC development too, as all have different combinations of memory, CPU, HDD and screen resolutions. You just target the development for a minimum spec machine you are happy the game will run on. I think the Android Market will let you specify availability to specific devices when you publish. The beauty of Android is you can self publish the App on your website (or any 3rd party Market) too so you don't have to give 30-40% of your hard work to Apple.

I haven't played FM for ages as I don't have time to sit on my PC and play it anymore, being able to dip in and out of it on my phone would be great, make it happen please :thup:

Let me stop you there, you cannot pick up on one point and think that it will change it.

PC has about at least 20x more people working on the game (that means 20 people) than the iOS game, also the PC game can be coded in C++ like the iOS games are meaning the Android one would need to be written from scratch also it would cost a lot of money researching it as you would have to buy test handsets for each model you wish to make it on. End of the day it would be an expensive process which would require employing lots of new people and buying lots of things and even then it may take at least a year to make.

Let me stop you there, you cannot pick up on one point and think that it will change it.

PC has about at least 20x more people working on the game (that means 20 people) than the iOS game, also the PC game can be coded in C++ like the iOS games are meaning the Android one would need to be written from scratch also it would cost a lot of money researching it as you would have to buy test handsets for each model you wish to make it on. End of the day it would be an expensive process which would require employing lots of new people and buying lots of things and even then it may take at least a year to make.

Presumably the PC version has 20x more people working on it due to it's increased scope as a game and not just for testing? But it is a fair point. Technically iOS apps are not C++ they are Objective-C, but any competent programmer should be able to also pick up Java if they already know C++, so I don't think that is too much of an argument.

Buying test handkits would be an additional cost but pretty minor cost when you think of the economics of scale, if they can estimate how many they would reach for each one and pick them accordingly I am sure they would be OK.

I agree the process might take time, but they should have been looking into it a year ago anyway (and they may well have been doing so).

I think a year ago the numbers wouldn't justify it but the sales trends show Android smartphones outselling iPhones nearly 2-1 in both Eurpoe and USA now (probably more in Asia).

Like someone else mentioned earlier fragmentation might be redundent if they went down the Playstation Certified route so that could be one approach, although not many handsets have that yet.

Ultimately I just know there are a lot of people out there waiting for a true Football Manager game on Android and not some crappy rip-off, please make it happen!

• SI Staff
Presumably the PC version has 20x more people working on it due to it's increased scope as a game and not just for testing? But it is a fair point. Technically iOS apps are not C++ they are Objective-C, but any competent programmer should be able to also pick up Java if they already know C++, so I don't think that is too much of an argument.

Actually iPhone/iPad/iTouch applications allow bridging from Objective-C to C++; FMHi is written primarilarly in C++ sharing much of its original code base with the Football Manager Handheld (PSP) game.

I'm already familiar with Java and fairly competant at using it however if I have to rewrite all 250,000 lines of FMHi in Java then that will take a while ;)

I'm glad that there appears to be a passionate user base on Android and hope one day we can make a product for that platform - however please be patient with us, much as we'd love to there are only so many hours in the day and we do all have families who like to be reminded of our existance sporadically ;)

I hear you Marc and appreciate the issues.

It might be worth exploring the Android NDK (http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/index.html) as this allows the generation of native code from C and C++ source code, I have never used this myself but it could be useful. I think it might make the app harder to debug and cause more compatibility issues though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived