Looking complacent, I don´t get this.

As a coach for a minor team in the lower danish series I have never seen a player looking complacent during preason if he is supposed to fight for a place in the team, most players I know give their best to earn that right.

After winning everything last year with Gateshead I do have a rather large team and only 3 players are sure about their position, the rest is up for the taking but if I am winning like 5-0 against some foreign minnows I cant get the substituted players to perform during the second half .. they all look complacent(according to the game feedback), while they should actually be fighting their hearts out for a place in the team ... and in real life I dont care wether my team faces tough resistance or easy prey, they either perform or dont play ... its as simple as that.

Your players don't know they're playing for a place. They're just numbers on a magnetic disc.

The game is weighing up confidence vs performance. They're confident - because they're winning - but are only playing 6.4 - because they've only just come on. Hence, "complacent."

I use "I expect a performance" to try to take them down a notch or two but it can make them nervous instead. There are no perfect team talks.

Archived