FMH iPhone Player Instructions?

• SI Staff

Hi,

Apologies - there aren't player instructions in the game at present; I'll get the description updated when we do our first update.

(if people do WANT them however they could be added at some point - but in the main I've tried to keep things somewhat simplified where practical/possible so that it keeps the essence of our games without making the UI over-complicated)

• SI Staff

I'll be listening to feedback in the coming weeks before I decide on any major directions for the game to head in (although my initial gut reaction is to take the FML 'role' approach if we do this .... time will tell).

• SI Staff
OK, thanks for the response Marc. Bit of a bummer but no biggy!

Thats a great idea qwerty2k, presumably it must do this automatically to some extent already? i.e. a winger would run with ball?

It already does this behind the scenes as you'd expect players behave according to their positions biased by the mentality and instructions you give the team etc.

As I said in another thread, a few options would be brilliant - Marking types, player roles, forward runs / mentality and basic set piece positioning would be fantastic and add just a hint of extra variation. And if I'm going to be greedy, I'd say selecting a captain would be cool too. Just basic versions ala the team instructions, nothing too fancy.

I wouldn't want to get bogged down in PC levels of tinkering as, well, it wouldn't fit the format and the very welcome pick up and play intuitiveness of the game. But a little bit of customisation for individual players would elevate this from 'excellent' to 'supreme' as far as I'm concerned.

I think you should just be able to select a player and it bring up a screen for their individual instructions, which you would change, they could be set up similarly to how the team instructions are atm, and click 'save' or cancel. Obviously the tactics would come with pre-set roles/duties but this would allow editing if desired.

I think individual players instructions are needed. It would allow us to apply pressure when attacking or defending particular parts of the pitch through pressing or tackling mentality i.e. variants of existing team instructions. This would help if e.g. the opposition are having a lot of joy attacking down the left or if they have a weak link on that side of the pitch; As it stands I don't know what to do if the former occurs other than put a more defensive player there?

Adding a passing direction would allow us to avoid vulnerable area through passing left, centre or right; at least a team instruction version would be good.

Additionally a team instruction for using a playmaker or free role and assigning 1 or 2 players would be useful to get certain players more into the game e.g. Fabregas at Arsenal.

The old standbys of Forward Runs and Run with the Ball would be nice too.

Just player roles would do for me.

Not even attack, support, defend and other duties are needed really, they could be controlled by team mentality.

Although they'd have to be slightly different than he PC version, central midfield defend support attack could be seperate roles rather than having duties as well.

I'd love specific player roles ala 2010 on the handheld, I'm really finding getting my Rovers team to play as I like a royal pain (20th in Feb, oops). Like Scoham says, just player roles, with the ai doing the rest, that would be grand, as in the pc game I tend to just choose them and stick with them without tweaking specifics anyway.

I'd like player roles at least, if not instructions. The roles, Deep Lying Playmaker etc would be a nice addition. Thanks. Still liking it. Even more so that I've just had a 10 minute tube journey which was made much sweeter by fitting a quick friendly in.

• SI Staff
I think that's a very fair review, to be honest. A few bug fixes, a bit of a tactical expansion and my breaks at work will be filled with FM rather than cigarettes. It could save my life! ;)

So no pressure on me at all then huh ;)

So no pressure on me at all then huh ;)

Makes a change from people saying that FM has ruined their life though Marc! Or being cited in divorce proceedings.

Still digging FMHi, just need Danny Rose in my Spurs squad and player instructions and I'll be well sorted. KUTGW :thup:

Hi Marc,

Congratulations on creating a great app. FM 2010 for the iPhone was the first football management sim I ever purchased and I think you guys have done a sterling job with it.

However implementing player instructions would increase the game's longevity no end. It would be fantastic to have some sense of controlling how individual players behave on the pitch. Without it the player feels quite powerless over the ebb and flow of a match and as such losing can be frustrating.

A simple sliding scale for each position would be more than adequate.

I really hope you can implement this. Other than that well done!

The tactical options are by far and away the best thing about Football Manager. So I think player instructions need to be added to the iPhone version as a priority.

If complexity is an issue is there a way to have two layers of instructions (e.g. the deep lying playmaker style options AND an 'initially hidden' slider type option.)?

I'll be keeping my eye on future releases but until this funcationality is added I'm afaid I'll be sticking to the mac version of the game only.

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this thread up again. Having played 2 seasons now, I also would wish for more options in this regard. Forget about team talks for now, but some player instructions, or a simplified slider system, or just a variation of the excellent touchline shouts, would do wonders for my morale in matches that are on the brink.

Archived