The unnofficial thread for the things that YOU WANT CHANGING for next year's game!

Don't get mewrong, i love this year's game, i think that the depth of most things on the game is superb. However, some things desperately need improving, and im just about fed up of sticking up with them, i want the perfect game, where there is nothing glaringly bad that i can complain about, and this thread is whats going (hopefully) to change all that, and make this game perfect. So, I'll start off:

1) Match engine is quite frankly, still terrible. I think what it is portraying what is actually happenin onto the 3D match engine which is the problem. But there are no stepovers etc, and the general matchplay is mostly very different to IRL, and the same things happen over and over. I think this is the most INTEGRAL part of the game.

2) Sideway arrows. Just aren't there! Recently tried to recreate a tactic with barca, had to get the CB's to spread, couldn't! I could even get the perfect shape of Fifa! Which makes a mockery of FM. Also, it is impossible to emulate the way people like Xavi play, and barca in general, it is very hard to keep possession at the back at a fairly slow tempo, then quicken it up higher up the pitch, which is unrealistic!

3) Much more detail needed on Scout reports for teams, and players still. When accepting a job the detail is lacking also, and other things aswell.

(P.S. PLease do not close this thread, it is NOT the same as NEW features, it is saying what things that are CURRENTLY in the game, that we want changing, and find frustrating and annoying, thank you).

Right, over to you::thup:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your habit of bolding certain words should lead you to a sucessful career with the Sun. :D

In terms of point 2), this is a fairly realistic implementation tbh. If you want to emulate Barca, change some team options such as width and passing.

Don't get mewrong, i love this year's game, i think that the depth of most things on the game is superb. However, some things desperately need improving, and im just about fed up of sticking up with them, i want the perfect game, where there is nothing glaringly bad that i can complain about, and this thread is whats going (hopefully) to change all that, and make this game perfect. So, I'll start off:

1) Match engine is quite frankly, still terrible. I think what it is portraying what is actually happenin onto the 3D match engine which is the problem. But there are no stepovers etc, and the general matchplay is mostly very different to IRL, and the same things happen over and over. I think this is the most INTEGRAL part of the game.

2) Sideway arrows. Just aren't there! Recently tried to recreate a tactic with barca, had to get the CB's to spread, couldn't! I could even get the perfect shape of Fifa! Which makes a mockery of FM. Also, it is impossible to emulate the way people like Xavi play, and barca in general, it is very hard to keep possession at the back at a fairly slow tempo, then quicken it up higher up the pitch, which is unrealistic!

3) Much more detail needed on Scout reports for teams, and players still. When accepting a job the detail is lacking also, and other things aswell.

(P.S. PLease do not close this thread, it is NOT the same as NEW features, it is saying what things that are CURRENTLY in the game, that we want changing, and find frustrating and annoying, thank you).

Right, over to you::thup:

I agree on everything.It's really boring after 3 seasons to watch the ME and see the same type of shots crosses passes there is no difference at all.If a player is shooting from outside the box 80% of the time i know whether is a goal or not and it's really boring.

Well i do actually want to be a sports journalist! And in terms of the width and passing, you can change that, and i have, however you cannot get the 2 CB's to slipt, as IRL, espec when Valdes has the ball, i am just using this as an example, please post new things you hate aswell.

Your habit of bolding certain words should lead you to a sucessful career with the Sun. :D

Bold, underlined and italicised :D

There do need to be more wide play options, and more variation in the animations would be nice, though if you're that bored you could just watch 2D.

Sideways Arrows are NOT CURRENTLY in the game? So, how are they "things that are CURRENTLY in the game, that we want changing" :confused:

Sideways arrows are simply not relevant, valid, or realistic especially since Barca's CB's don't spread in any way shape or form? Who have you been listening too? David Pleat? Clearer options for improving wideplay would be good, but spreading centrebacks is not exaclty part of that is it?

As for stepovers I've watched a little French newgen do a drag back through his own legs clear as day to scythe through two defenders whilst turning on a sixpence, as well as some trickery, it's not as if it's a glaringly bad situation, just needs slight improvement. The graphics are as good as they can be for most people's hardware judging by all the griping, and I'm pretty sure we'll see a lot more animations and tweaks in FM11 regardless of threads proclaiming the end of the FM world and advocating a mvoe back to 2D.

Scouting I agree DOES need improving. It's a little off at the moment and the forums are being diluted by people sharing experiences based on a skewed version of the game as a result of scout and editing tools. Clear examples to be found in Rate my Regen, GP&TG, GD, and even the Bugs forums. Detail would be much better.

Overall tho, it's superb, and hopefully next years new features won't bring about any setbacks.

Width. It's not a tactical decision to spread CB's, it's width. Pep doesn't give them a move sideways instruction, and as such there is no place for it in the game.

It's not as if Pep sits around telling them they've got to spread, it's a by product of width for which there is already a setting.

Oh, and stop bloody PM'ing me and hold your conversation in here. If you've done research, and are sure of what Pep tell's them, please post the evidence in here that the debate may continue openly.

(preferably without text speak which I'm pretty sure is a no-no, not to mention childish as hell, and annoying with it)

Sorry, but not childish at all as EVERYONE does it haha. Direct quote from Guillem Baligue sky sports on Revista De La Liga 'When Barca have the all with Valdes or in defence the CB's spread almost into the FB positions, its beautiful to watch, and is a genius idea from Pep to stop them being closed down easily'. THink that proves my point enough haha, they do, and are told to spread.

they are told to play out wide when the team has position so that the opposition 'spread' and are pulled out of position. They play completely differently when they have the ball and when they dont.

If you want your team to attack like Barcelona, try setting your FB's to get forward often and set your CB's to hug touchline. That should make them 'spread'. Just watch when the opposition get the ball. You probably wont be in the correct positions to defend.

The Barcelona players know how they play, its a system they have been using for a few years, all the players know each other well and when to get forward or cover appropriately. This is a game. To get your team to play exactly like Barcelona you would probably need to go back to the old style tactics where you could set your with/without ball formations and have two sets of instructions.

Sorry, but not childish at all as EVERYONE does it haha. Direct quote from Guillem Baligue sky sports on Revista De La Liga 'When Barca have the all with Valdes or in defence the CB's spread almost into the FB positions, its beautiful to watch, and is a genius idea from Pep to stop them being closed down easily'. THink that proves my point enough haha, they do, and are told to spread.

Use of the word everyone is every bit as much an erroneous sweeping statement as your assertion that 'Sarrows' belong in the game. You'll find plenty of people not only prefer not to use txt speak, but also know not to, it being a fundamental forum rule and all that.

So, a journalist has an opinion on what Pep does or does not tell his players, and you've decided that warrants a change in game mechanics.

Brilliant :D

[insert patchetic childish ROFL, LMAO, LOL here]

Sheesh :rolleyes:

Its a simulation, meaning the same as IRL, therefore i should be able to make the CB's spread, is that really much to ask, we used to have side arrows lol. And there must be a replacement for the with/ without ball formations, as otheriwse they would be taking a step back, i think its player roles personally. PLus once the other team attack closing down should draw them back inside maybe.

OMG ROFL LMFAO! Na mate its on various forums etc, and it came from an interview with Pep himself LMFAO!!! Mate, im not trying to be annoying , im just saying, i want them to spread, as IRL! They always do it, ive watched every game this season, studied them vigorously, and its a well know fact among people that ave been researching under me! Just accept it! LMFAO ROFL OMFG LMAO LOL BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE FUNNY.

You said to insert it mate haha.;)

Way to make an idiot of yourself.

Um, you've still not posted a link or any evidence btw, which makes you look an even bigger one.

Either way there won't be sideways arrows in FM, there are lready options to achieve the a similar, and more realistic effect.

Unfortunately, in your little fit of ego and childishness, you've neglected to note the points made by StevoRobbo a couple of posts up.

You wanna get with the program and back on topic, or carry on pm'ing me random stupidty like some kind of window-licker?

Hahahahaha. Ahhhhh mate your funny ill give you that. I cant post a link to what i hear and see on tv lmfao. Exactly, similar, which isnt exact. Ego and childness, na mate lmao. I did reply to him directly actually. I am on topic, its not random stupidity its very very true. Answered all your things their ;). Im not even being provacativ thats what gets me, i just want side arrows to emulate the way the team i am fascinated about in the game, which involves making the CB's go very wide when we have possession, which i cannot do atm despite trying, like IRL.

He's not saying everybody doesnt do it, he's saying nobody does it on this forum, because its against the rules. Somebody with 430 posts should know this. You've already had two warnings, you'll get another one if you persist with the txt speak ;)

they are told to play out wide when the team has position so that the opposition 'spread' and are pulled out of position. They play completely differently when they have the ball and when they dont.

If you want your team to attack like Barcelona, try setting your FB's to get forward often and set your CB's to hug touchline. That should make them 'spread'. Just watch when the opposition get the ball. You probably wont be in the correct positions to defend.

The Barcelona players know how they play, its a system they have been using for a few years, all the players know each other well and when to get forward or cover appropriately. This is a game. To get your team to play exactly like Barcelona you would probably need to go back to the old style tactics where you could set your with/without ball formations and have two sets of instructions.

I've been experimenting with this just and i couldn't get my DC's to spread wide no matter what i tried - they rarely ever spread wider than the width of the centre circle. I also tried Roam From Position and a number of other settings to try and get them to move wide. Even on the highest width setting, with both having FWR and experimenting with each wide option possible nothing seemed to get them to move. I also was using FB's as Wing Back's on Attack who bombed forward to leave plenty of space for the DC's to move into.

The 'width' setting isn't enough. SI recognised that by implementing the Wide Play options. But put simply, these options seem to have next to no effect on the DC position from what i have seen. In theory, surely giving the DC's Hug Touchline and Roam From Position, with the FB's moving forward to leave the space for them to roam into, the DC's should "spread" in the manner they do in real life.

If anyone has managed to actually achieve what the OP was on about re Barcelona then please step forward (with some evidence).

Thank you Death! Thank you thank you thank you! Someone who knows what i'm on about. IRL, the CB's spread MASSIVELY, 3/4 into the FB positions, because Pep sais he wants themt o have time on the ball, therefore fitting into their possession game, but on the game you cannot get that width, which is why you need side arrows!

Also, does anyone think (like fifa) you should be able to put them in manually, and not fixed positions, this is so restricting in 'loose' formations!

Damn why didn't we all think of that when we watch managers in RL carry and place all the players on the pitch once or twice a week :rolleyes:

The positions in FM aren't fixed, they are the general areas of the field the players start in and are then altered by orders/player preferences.

I think they should bring back something along the lines of the old tactic system where you could set your players depending if you had the ball or not. That way when you have the ball, you could put your CB's in the full back position, FB's in the MR/L positions, leave you DM as is, then have a AML/R and two AMC and one ST. Then all you have to do is when you dont have posession go back to a standard 4-5-1 or something.

Its not at all plaing them on the pitch, its giving them a specific area on the pitch to play, rather than rigid, we just need the OPTION of the diagonal or sideway arrows for players we want to use them on; also there should be like a 'phases of play' formation e.g. in possession out of possession etc.

I think they should bring back something along the lines of the old tactic system where you could set your players depending if you had the ball or not. That way when you have the ball, you could put your CB's in the full back position, FB's in the MR/L positions, leave you DM as is, then have a AML/R and two AMC and one ST. Then all you have to do is when you dont have posession go back to a standard 4-5-1 or something.

I used to spend so much time on tactics when you could do that.

Loved it, reminded me of Player Manager. I don't know how realistic it was, but it felt as if I was really making a difference on the pitch.

Thank you Death! Thank you thank you thank you! Someone who knows what i'm on about. IRL, the CB's spread MASSIVELY, 3/4 into the FB positions, because Pep sais he wants themt o have time on the ball, therefore fitting into their possession game, but on the game you cannot get that width, which is why you need side arrows!

He didn't actually confirm what you are failing to prove. What he said was that he'd just tried to achieve the effect you spoke of re Barcelona and couldn't. Calm yourself, nd get back to finding some evidence of that which you speak so's a proper conversation can take place.

He also says DC's should "spread" in the manner they do in real life. Because DC's do spread with the rest of the team when going forward - it's called width, which as both Death and StevoRobbo have said, is a lacking setting.

When you select play wider, your players all move further apart, just not well enough.

Oh, and this belongs in tactics and training tips tbh.

I cant prove things that are on tv!Pep, in an interview, said he likes them to spread when valdes has the ball, or when they have it in defence, i know more about barca than you, trust! Your obviously clueless! Their manager confirmed it ffs! What more proof do u want! They werent removed coz the were unrealistic AT ALL, it was coz they exploited the natch engine too much, as i asked a moderator why thy were removed, and also how the f**k is having a formation in possession and a formation when not in possession UNREALISTIC, EVERY TEAM HAS IT, OTHERIWSE THEY WOULD HAVE ONE SHAPE THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE GAME!. Hopefully, they can fix that, and bring thm back, so i can emulate the barca play in real life, and have the cb's spreading on purpose when we have the ball with valdes or in defence! Also, they should have a width for each player, as i want inesta inside morefor example, and i want the cb's wider than others as they do IRL when we have the ball, but i cant do that.

No. Like Side Arrows, it was removed as unrealistic. :thup:

Arrows were not unrealistic. Changes made to them between games were unrealistic, and rather than reverse these changes they were removed.

They only exploited versions of the ME that were only played in testing. Again, the arrows we had were completely realistic and didn't break the ME. I've never been given a decent reason for them being removed.

Arrows were not unrealistic. Changes made to them between games were unrealistic, and rather than reverse these changes they were removed.

They only exploited versions of the ME that were only played in testing. Again, the arrows we had were completely realistic and didn't break the ME. I've never been given a decent reason for them being removed.

Apologies if I'm not grasping what you're saying here, but if they exploited the ME in testing, is it not quite likely they'd have exploited it in the full game ME too?

I understand that yes, they could have been fixed to make them unexploitable, but I suppose it depends on whether they could actually do that.

Apologies if I'm not grasping what you're saying here, but if they exploited the ME in testing, is it not quite likely they'd have exploited it in the full game ME too?

I understand that yes, they could have been fixed to make them unexploitable, but I suppose it depends on whether they could actually do that.

They didn't exploit the FM07 ME, which I can prove using PKMs. Crouchaldinho assures me they didn't exploit the 08 ME (I remember a few tactics that claimed to exploit it using a lot of arrows) and performed realistically there. wwfan and Ackter say they exploited the ME that was prepared for 09 and FML, and I'm prepared to believe them.

Thing is, even if that had happened, side arrows (what malleria is complaining about) have had no such accusations levelled against them, and indeed short forward, backward or diagonal arrows also haven't been said to exploit the ME, only arrows, say, from DM to FL, or AML to WBR.

They didn't exploit the FM07 ME, which I can prove using PKMs. Crouchaldinho assures me they didn't exploit the 08 ME (I remember a few tactics that claimed to exploit it using a lot of arrows) and performed realistically there. wwfan and Ackter say they exploited the ME that was prepared for 09 and FML, and I'm prepared to believe them.

Thing is, even if that had happened, side arrows (what malleria is complaining about) have had no such accusations levelled against them, and indeed short forward, backward or diagonal arrows also haven't been said to exploit the ME, only arrows, say, from DM to FL, or AML to WBR.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Although for FM08, I'm sure there was one ridiculous tactic which had arrows everywhere and played some sort of a 4-2-3-1. :D

Exactly, they are not unrealistic at all. Asking a player play LCM, to move out wide with a side arrow, is not unrealistic at all.

It is in light of actual managers not using arrows, but rather instructions.

An LCM in a narrow diamond will automatically generate width both with and without the ball since the players will move into space of cover accordingly.

The idea of using arrows to move players into position with or without the ball has long since been declared defunct, not because of exploits, but because the with and without ball thing was ridiculously unrealistic amongst other reasons.

BTW, if it's on TV, it's on Youtube. I'm quite sure Pep does have a tactical theory regarding use of space and lateral movement, but since it's not remotely as simplistic as what you are suggesting it would be nice to share your evidence of this phenomenon so's the rest of us can discuss what they actually do since any option to simply move your CB's to the touchline in possession would lead to MASSIVE exploits and failings in the match engine. It leave's strikers completely unmarked in the centre of the park which is not a situation I've seen Barca in living memory.

Exactly, they are not unrealistic at all. Asking a player play LCM, to move out wide with a side arrow, is not unrealistic at all.
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Although for FM08, I'm sure there was one ridiculous tactic which had arrows everywhere and played some sort of a 4-2-3-1. :D

I recall. In fact many of the extreme tactics at present are based on the old tactic options rather than the new settings which says a lot for the failings of the old system.

It is in light of actual managers not using arrows, but rather instructions.

An LCM in a narrow diamond will automatically generate width both with and without the ball since the players will move into space of cover accordingly.

The idea of using arrows to move players into position with or without the ball has long since been declared defunct, not because of exploits, but because the with and without ball thing was ridiculously unrealistic amongst other reasons.

BTW, if it's on TV, it's on Youtube. I'm quite sure Pep does have a tactical theory regarding use of space and lateral movement, but since it's not remotely as simplistic as what you are suggesting it would be nice to share your evidence of this phenomenon so's the rest of us can discuss what they actually do since any option to simply move your CB's to the touchline in possession would lead to MASSIVE exploits and failings in the match engine. It leave's strikers completely unmarked in the centre of the park which is not a situation I've seen Barca in living memory.

Side arrows would not simply "move defenders to the touchline when in possession" because that isn't what side arrows did. They provided a general widening.

Even the forward and backward arrows didn't move "with or without ball". I set up a sweeper with a farrow to striker. He left his own half once all match, on a counter attack, and at times we had a lot of possession so he definitely could have got forward if he would have wanted.

Frankly, the utter fallacy that arrows controlled "with or without ball movement" really needs to be eradicated.

Especially when you played Chelsea, because there was something wrong with their defenders, which meant playing a lone striker completely destroyed them.

Different tactic exploited the Chelsea bug, and the arrows weren't the issue there.

I thiink the conclusion we can draw is that basically they need to add features into the tactics to make it much easier to doEXACTLY what you want to do,, however obscure it is. Any other annoying things in the current game that you want changing, or things added to for next year?

Side arrows would not simply "move defenders to the touchline when in possession" because that isn't what side arrows did. They provided a general widening.

Even the forward and backward arrows didn't move "with or without ball". I set up a sweeper with a farrow to striker. He left his own half once all match, on a counter attack, and at times we had a lot of possession so he definitely could have got forward if he would have wanted.

Frankly, the utter fallacy that arrows controlled "with or without ball movement" really needs to be eradicated.

Arrows were Run, Maybe, and Don't as far as I was concerned, and nothing more than a visual representation thereof, but yes, was wrongly conceived as a movement indicator by the majority.

The general widening you speak of is in both team tactics and TLS's now, and works nicely.

I recall the long CM FArrow on Diablo during CM0304 as being a fallacy. It worked with a normal CM>AM arrow - didn't need the CM>ST arrow at all. Exploit as we all know, but not because of the arrow, because of the run setting. It could just as easily be present in FM11, no arrow involved, just an AI problem with runs from centre deep.

Allowing Malleria to change subject/get back on topic, I'd very much like to see Press Conferences expanded to include massive variation. There needs to be a huge and concerted feedback from the forum on potential questions. SI needs someone monitoring the actual press a lot more, and needs to look at more than 5 simple options for each question. More flexibility. For example, when Drogba is declared a danger man in next match, I'd like to nominate someone else?

Archived