Lower League managment

Hello i want to start a new game down in the lower leagues like level 8, level 9 and bring the team into the premiership. However i struggle for motavion. Anyone help? Also i was going to start as either: a scottish lower league team like fort william in the higland league and aim for them to be in the Champions league or any of these english teams: Beaconsfield (level 9), Cromer Town (level 11), Boston Town (level9) Boston Utd (regional premier divison) which one to go for. And recomend any good cheap players?

PS I didnt know where to post this

the lowest i've started was Whitby Town on a previous FM, got ehm to League 2, then my GF at the time did something and lost the game!! other than that i just start un-employed and work my way up, currently at Liverpool after starting with East Stirligshire

I've managed Boston Utd in FM 2009 and 2010 when they've been promoted to the BSN. They've got a youth academy and a large fanbase worthy of L2 at least. They would be the team I would recommend as it's probably the easiest of the challenges you've picked out. I don't know much about players though.

I've taken a team from level 10 to regional premier and then deleted the save in error.

It's enjoyable managing that far down.

For the English clubs I reccomend just putting loan offers in for everyone! Also, have a look at free transfers.

I'm playing with Scarborough United, an edited version set up as a phoenix club following Scarborough's demise a few years back. Appalling facilities compared to the rest in my league (some of whom i boosted a bit - Halifax, Lancaster etc to make it tougher) Was predicted 24th out of 24 but halfway through first season i'm flying high in second. I'll not catch Halifax who are miles out in front but i'm confident of getting the playoffs.

Some things i've learned:

Injuries are a real problem - smaller squads at this level and you often find you're relying on a few key players.

Loans are the saving grace, though at this level you're realistically looking at loaning reserves from League 2 downwards

A bit of confidence, pace, decision making and off the ball go a long way

As does a pacy winger and a strong, powerful striker

The refs are much more lenient than i remember from previous FM campaigns - not sure if that's a change or due to playing in lvl 8.

I'd go for it mate - i love playing in the really low leagues. New teams to play, you can get decent cup runs going in the small competitions and drawing someone like Stevenage or Woking in the FA Trophy is exciting.... (odd as that sounds)

I too have found myself getting bored before after a season or two - my advice is leave it n come back to it. Or start up your "brother" as an alternative manager managining in an interesting foreign league to provide new impetus. Usually all it takes is discovering a new player or new formation to draw me back in.

You won't regret it.

Ps - i'd pick a team in the engish leagues - as you progress higher you'll have more fun having more variety of teams to play against. I love the romanticism of the scottish leagues, but in reality they bore me after awhile.

As for which team - as others have said Boston Town are a MUCH bigger club than the others you suggest - like trying to decide between choosing Leeds/Norwich versus Grays/Ebsfleet/Chester - only a league of two difference, but worlds apart. So it depends how hard a challenge you want. With Boston i would expect two promotions in three years to get you into the Blue Square Premier. But it's too easy - pick a rubbish side in tier 8 (regional first divisions), or if playing with lvls 9-10 enabled, pick a low mid-table side in lvl 9 and have fun in the local cups too.

Archived