Lower league permit farce!

I am Barnet managing in league 1 and have the same problem with three players so far. Each player has been out of contract with their club and have subsequetly accepted a contact with me. Two of the young guys had alot of u21 caps for australia, the third and most annoying was 20 and had 10 caps with canada.

I have my work permit appeal get turned down each time, not sure why, put it down to that thing about players having to play a certain percentage of games, even though the canadian had played 10 consecutive matches. Then up springs other clubs, two of which are in the championship, the other in spainish league 2. they all have no problems with work permits and leave me thinking its because im in league 1! Has anyone got any ideas on the situation.

Abit long winded i know!

I am Barnet managing in league 1 and have the same problem with three players so far. Each player has been out of contract with their club and have subsequetly accepted a contact with me. Two of the young guys had alot of u21 caps for australia, the third and most annoying was 20 and had 10 caps with canada.

I have my work permit appeal get turned down each time, not sure why, put it down to that thing about players having to play a certain percentage of games, even though the canadian had played 10 consecutive matches. Then up springs other clubs, two of which are in the championship, the other in spainish league 2. they all have no problems with work permits and leave me thinking its because im in league 1! Has anyone got any ideas on the situation.

Abit long winded i know!

Work permits have deeper meanings than just football. The rejection may seem to have no in-game reason but in real life the applications are being rejected because the E.U. has but a load of restrictions in immigration - basically migrants coming from members of the E.U. are allowed in, while those from outside the E.U. - including Canada and Australia - are not allowed in. It stinks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JML69:

But why are clubs in a higher division have the work permit granted, even though they are in the same country as me. Thats what confuses me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had the same trouble at Torquay. I couldn't get work permits accepted for potential young stars from outside the EU. It stinks as some of them have retired at 19. I've just narrowed my search down to EU nations. It stinks, but there are still plenty of good players around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Two of the young guys had alot of u21 caps for australia </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Under 21 caps don't count when applying for a work permit.

I'd imagine SI implements work permits as in real life, so, digging through the Home Office's website:

Initial applications

To be eligible for a work permit:

* a player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application; and

* the player's country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application.

Panels

Where an application does not meet the published criteria, a club may request a panel to consider the player's skills and experience. In these cases the sports and entertainments team, UK Border Agency, will refer the club's evidence to an independent panel.

Where possible the club's supporting evidence will be sent to the governing bodies in advance for their consideration in order to allow an informed decision.

The panel will normally consist of representatives from the relevant football governing bodies together with up to three independent experts.

The panel's terms of reference are:

* To consider whether the player is of the highest calibre.

* To consider whether the player is able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in United Kingdom.

The panel will make a recommendation to the UK Border Agency whose decision will then be relayed to the club.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/workpe...nts/footballplayers/

Does your player fit the criteria?

For the Canadian, I have a feeling he needs 1-2 more games; my Japanese winger needed 11 caps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x42bn6:

I'd imagine SI implements work permits as in real life, so, digging through the Home Office's website:

Initial applications

To be eligible for a work permit:

* a player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application; and

* the player's country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application.

Panels

Where an application does not meet the published criteria, a club may request a panel to consider the player's skills and experience. In these cases the sports and entertainments team, UK Border Agency, will refer the club's evidence to an independent panel.

Where possible the club's supporting evidence will be sent to the governing bodies in advance for their consideration in order to allow an informed decision.

The panel will normally consist of representatives from the relevant football governing bodies together with up to three independent experts.

The panel's terms of reference are:

* To consider whether the player is of the highest calibre.

* To consider whether the player is able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in United Kingdom.

The panel will make a recommendation to the UK Border Agency whose decision will then be relayed to the club.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/workpe...nts/footballplayers/

Does your player fit the criteria?

For the Canadian, I have a feeling he needs 1-2 more games; my Japanese winger needed 11 caps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is all correct and actually, I think it is one of the most accurately modelled aspects of the game. Lower league teams will never or almost never get work permits unless the player meets the main (i.e. 75% and top 70) criteria. How many times do you see non-eu players in other divisions than the premiership?

The canadian guy has just reached 11 caps and signed a contract with blackburn, who have had him on a rolling contact for three years. Even though they have got him as not needed by club. Thanks for your effort, especially x42 for his research

Archived