Long throws are costing me points!

I stupidly took the advice of my assistant and trainedmy right-back to take long throws - every time he does it my team charge into the box leaving me with one full back to defend. More often that not the throw is cleared and I am counter attacked with no one back.

How do I stop this cos it's cost me 5 goals already and I've changed all defenders and midfielders to stay back.

Your team uses the same instructions set up for corners as "long" throws in the game. I remember having this problem. i usually have my two fullbacks stay back for corners but since my DR was taking the throws i always got caught at the back.

My way of getting around this was to set ma two wingers to "stay back if needed" for corners. Did the trick! Love the long throws.

Hmm. Well, you could set someone else to take the throws, or tell him to take them short or quick.

Alternatively, send some more players forward, so the others don't feel obliged to go charging up.

I've got him taking them short and he is still doing it - I've set my wingers to stay back, central midfielders to stay back, centre backs to stay back - the only players set to go forward are my two strikers - but every time I get a throw in my whole team is in the opposition box.

Ive just conceed another in the Champions League.

I've tried to retrain but there isn;t an option for it.

The instructions for throw ins are different for corners. If you look on the views menu on the player list then go to they bottom you can arrange them from there, or you could go on the player's instructions and right at the very bottom there is right and left throw ins.

The instructions for throw ins are different for corners. If you look on the views menu on the player list then go to they bottom you can arrange them from there, or you could go on the player's instructions and right at the very bottom there is right and left throw ins.

I know where they are - they are all set as I mentioned above - and still my team chrage into the box for long throws.

Well your obviously not doing what people are suggesting! Cos we know for a fact if you change to throw-in taker and put throw in-s to short then you won't. If you still concede then try changing tactics or getting better players maybe :rolleyes:

Well your obviously not doing what people are suggesting! Cos we know for a fact if you change to throw-in taker and put throw in-s to short then you won't. If you still concede then try changing tactics or getting better players maybe :rolleyes:

What's your problem mate - I am doing what has been suggested - team instructions set to take throw-ins short, individual instructions set to stay back - for everyone except the two strikers.

There is NO option for stay back if needed for throw-ins.

So how is it obvious I am not doing what has been suggested? If you can;t be constructive then don't post - some of the attitudes of people on this forum is unbelievable.

And for your information, I am playing as Chelsea - so it's reasonable to assume that I am using decent players.

If you still concede then try changing tactics :rolleyes:

And while I'm at it - this doesn't make any sense - I can change my tactics all day longg 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-3-3 but the issue is my players go forward for throw-ins.

I've asked for help, some people have given me suggestions for which I thank them, I have tried them. You on the other hand seem to think "I must not be doing what I've been told".

You have shown your self to be a moron of a fairly high calibre.

CHANGE THE THROW IN TAKER!

How many times does it need to be said? I had the same problem did that, problem solved.

I've done this - I've set throw-ins to be taken by my wingers but every couple of games I see my full back launching one in anyway. This is still while my selected throw-in takers are on the pitch.

Sure mate, I (YES I!) am the moron :rolleyes:

That's rich coming from someone who can't change a throw-in taker? You don't have to tell them to stay back just play the bloody throw ins short! And my problem btw is idiots like you who keep on complaining despite getting a series of people telling you the correct thing yet all you do is moan that you concede a goal! Who cares, it's your problem, your tactics!

Sure mate, I (YES I!) am the moron :rolleyes:

That's rich coming from someone who can't change a throw-in taker? You don't have to tell them to stay back just play the bloody throw ins short! And my problem btw is idiots like you who keep on complaining despite getting a series of people telling you the correct thing yet all you do is moan that you concede a goal! Who cares, it's your problem, your tactics!

Well I have changed the throw-in taker so you are wrong on that count.

And I haven't complained about anything regarding FM10 so you're wrong on that count also.

I've posted a few queries here and there and had helpful and constructive replies.

You on the other must have some sort of ESP since you seem to be able to see my game and that I haven't changed the taker.

How many times do you have to be told that I have selected throw-ins to be taken short. I wouldn't be posting otherwise woudl I. If I set them to long I would be pretty sure that was why they were taking the long. I am however asking for them to be taken.........short - that's right SHORT. And the problem persists. It's not the end of the world, I will just about get through the day - I won't be having panic attacks.

Any more helpful feeback my firend? Or are you finished telling me that I should take them short?

Ohhhhh wait, I know what to do.........why didn't I think of that? Oh wait.....I've tried that. ;)

Right i don't see the point in even arguing back now cos your just being so petty and immature. You're totally wrong, you have bad tactics, have a nice day :)

I would say I am being more sarcastic that immature, although you could argue that by being sarcastic I am being immature my default. I am neither totally wrong nor slightly wrong, in fact I am more inclined to say I am right. You on the other hand I know to be worng - 100%. Hpwever, you iwll not know this because you think I am wrong, but you are wrong about this also.

Perhaps I do have bad tactics - I had a poor first season and I am not exactly running away with it this year. The particular issue I have however, has already been stated, and you have been no help whatsoever. In fact, even if you had been helpful in your suggestions (which you haven't) your tone and attitude would render it bittersweet.

Good day to you - hope no one else is on the recieving end of your insight today, given the fact that it is dreadful.

Hey. You didn't get me. Like i said earlier, i have noticed that for long throws, your team uses your corner set up. Which means you should be modifying your CORNER instructions not your throw in instructions. Throw in settings only apply when they take it short. For long flat bullet throws your team uses your corner instructions so set your corner instructions like i suggested earlier.

i.e. wingers CORNER instructions; stay back if needed. You can set them to just stay back if you want.

Hey. You didn't get me. Like i said earlier, i have noticed that for long throws, your team uses your corner set up. Which means you should be modifying your CORNER instructions not your throw in instructions. Throw in settings only apply when they take it short. For long flat bullet throws your team uses your corner instructions so set your corner instructions like i suggested earlier.

i.e. wingers CORNER instructions; stay back if needed. You can set them to just stay back if you want.

Just as you post that I had been going throught his thread from the top and muist have missed your post. I understand what you mean and I will try this now - it sounds like it will work. It's a bit misleadign though, wouldn't you say, having corner routines which affect throw-ins.

Thnaks though for the pointer - very helpful as were most others who contributed.

You have also proved me right in the sense that I had been having this problem even though my throw-ins were set to be taken short. So for that you get a :thup:

I don't see how people suggesting change to take the throw-ins short or to change the throw-in taker were offering solutions.

It's like saying,

"The game crashes when i play as Liverpool, how do i solve this problem?"

"Play as Chelsea."

The OP wouldn't concede but he wouldn't be able to use the bullet throw either.

If Wege is right, i think it's correct that the setup should use your corner routine because the throw-in options are far too limited and perhaps you would want more players going forward for a long bullet throw, as in for a corner, than a normal throw. It'd be nice if it were made clear mind (assuming it isn't).

All those saying that he should change his throw in taker are wrong. Surely Stoke dont have the same problem and they let Delap take throws, the defenders should listen to the tactics given. He has said on numorous posts that he has instructed about half his team to stay back for throws but they still pile forward. This has to be a problem with the game itself rather than the tactics that he is using .

There has to be a problem if a player wont stay back even when instructed to do so.

I don't see how people suggesting change to take the throw-ins short or to change the throw-in taker were offering solutions.

It's like saying,

"The game crashes when i play as Liverpool, how do i solve this problem?"

"Play as Chelsea."

The OP wouldn't concede but he wouldn't be able to use the bullet throw either.

If Wege is right, i think it's correct that the setup should use your corner routine because the throw-in options are far too limited and perhaps you would want more players going forward for a long bullet throw, as in for a corner, than a normal throw. It'd be nice if it were made clear mind (assuming it isn't).

Thank you - nice to have a little support. It's a fir point you make - I tend to agree - I will see how it goes until the end of the season - about 8 games left.

In pre-season I think I will set throw-ins to long but have my wingers stay back under corner instructions and see how that goes.

All those saying that he should change his throw in taker are wrong. Surely Stoke dont have the same problem and they let Delap take throws, the defenders should listen to the tactics given. He has said on numorous posts that he has instructed about half his team to stay back for throws but they still pile forward. This has to be a problem with the game itself rather than the tactics that he is using .

There has to be a problem if a player wont stay back even when instructed to do so.

Again, thank you.

However you look at it, it's very silly if you have to alter your corner instructions in order to affect your throw-ins. No wonder people get confused.

I mean if you set all your corners to short, you wouldn't expect to have to control your players by altering your throw-in set up, so why on earth does it work the other way?

However you look at it, it's very silly if you have to alter your corner instructions in order to affect your throw-ins. No wonder people get confused.

I mean if you set all your corners to short, you wouldn't expect to have to control your players by altering your throw-in set up, so why on earth does it work the other way?

There is no PPM for taking corners though, so the players will always set themselves up following the tactics regardless of who is taking it.

Having it this way allows the team to take an attacking setup (like a corner), but only when the player with the 'long throws' PPM is taking the throw-ins. A bit like Stoke really.

There is no PPM for taking corners though, so the players will always set themselves up following the tactics regardless of who is taking it.

Having it this way allows the team to take an attacking setup (like a corner), but only when the player with the 'long throws' PPM is taking the throw-ins. A bit like Stoke really.

I can see that. However, what I don't see is why it isn't made much clearer, either in the manual or in the game itself. As it stands, you have to root through threads and posts and things in order to find out about it. It's not the sort of thing which is immediately obvious.

Archived