Football Manager Handheld 2010 for iPod Touch/iPhone Announced

• SI Staff

Over the last few months, the most asked question of me on Twitter and Facebook has been "when is Football Manager coming to iPhone/iPod", and I've confidently pointed out that it wasn't coming.

When people have asked "when is Football Manager Handheld coming to iPhone/iPod" I've been very quiet.

I am beyond excited to be able to announce today that FMH2010 is coming to iPhone and iPod touch. And even more excited to be able to announce that what has been our best kept secret ever, it's coming out in the next 48 hours!

We don't know exactly when it will be available in the apps store, although we've set a midnight local time release for tonight - it takes a while for all servers to propogate though, hence me saying it'll be live in the next 48 hours.

We are expecting some reviews today from journalists who received ridiculously limited edition Football Manager Handheld iPod Touches (engraved by the people who engrave the FA Cup!) with the game pre-installed on it, which has been the only way anyone outside of SI and SEGA has been able to see the game. I will put links to the reviews when they are available. There will also be a competition to win one of these devices in the coming weeks!

Feature list and screenshots:

- Manage across the globe – take charge of any team from 34 leagues from nations including England, Scotland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Portugal, Brazil and Australia.

- A real football world – Buy and sell over 20,000 real world stars from the legendary Football Manager database, fully up-to-date with the dealings from the 2010 January transfer window.

- Build your squad – buy, sell and loan players for your squad of up to 36 players, trying to keep them all happy and performing at the top of their game.

- Feel the buzz of matchdays – get all the stats on your opponents in the match preview and then watch the action unfold making subs and tactical changes to give your team the edge over your rivals.

- Get the most from your backroom staff – get the opinion of your assistant manager on the state of your squad and his suggested improvements, and ask coaches and scouts for reports on players in your squad or future transfer targets.

- Keep the board happy - Set your expectations for the club, manage your transfer and wage budgets and make board requests in your quest for success.

- Handle the media – experience the pressure of the press as they quiz you about transfer rumours, and potential job offers.

- Become a legend – chart the progress of your career through the profile screen and hall of fame; plus gain rewards for your success by unlocking new features and managerial abilities.

- Designed for the iPhone / iPod – with a specific user-friendly skin and functionalities, and club logos for all licensed leagues. Plus; listen to your favourite music while your manage your team!

001.jpg 002.jpg

003.jpg 004.jpg

A Manual app is also now available for free here (UK AppStore link)

It can also be found in web form here

News Articles

CVG

Eurogamer

Nuts

Pocket-Lint

Pocket Gamer

Shortlist

Reviews

CVG - 9/10

Koku Gamer - 9/10

IGN - 9/10

iPhone Games Unlimited.co.uk - 90%

Pocket Gamer - 8/10

Videogamer.com - 8/10

Times Online

Pocket-Lint - 4/5

FHM

Eurogamer - 7/10

The Guardian - 4/5

Goal.com - 43.5/50

Play.tm - 8/10

AppStore Links (with user reviews)

Out Now - UK store purchase link: FMH iPhone

Out Now - Italian store purchase link: FMH iPhone

Out Now - Belgium store purchase link: FMH iPhone

Out Now - French store purchase link: FMH iPhone

Out Now - Spanish store purchase link: FMH iPhone

Out Now - Portuguese store purchase link: FMH iPhone

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
The most important question is how does this compare to the real game and FMH??

It should only be compared to FMH. And compares incredibly well...

Will we be getting a new forum for it?

Nope - no need for that. This is the forum for Football Manager Handheld. And Football Manager Handheld is what it is :)

• SI Staff
Miles, Any chance of a free demo version which lets you play a month or two?

Also can you comment on how responsive the game is on the iPhone 3G compared to the 3GS?

There won't be a demo for launch, but will likely be one further down the line (months rather than days).

Any more info on the features - how many leagues can we run, is the match engine text, 2d or 3d and can we use the pre-january database?

1 league at a time, 2d and text match engine, and it's the latest db, rather than pre-Jan.

Great news. :thup: Should we expect to see this join the other versions as an annual release?

I have neither an iPod touch nor an iPhone, but imagine I will within the next 12-18 months (iPod's imminent spectacular and ill-timed death and expiry of phone contract/upgrade). Wouldn't see myself playing it if it wasn't up to date.

:cool:

• SI Staff
Known about this for much longer than I should've done. Fantastic news :)

No one likes a show off, Robson.

Great news. :thup: Should we expect to see this join the other versions as an annual release?

I have neither an iPod touch nor an iPhone, but imagine I will within the next 12-18 months (iPod's imminent spectacular and ill-timed death and expiry of phone contract/upgrade). Wouldn't see myself playing it if it wasn't up to date.

:cool:

We have to see how this one goes first before deciding on plans for future versions.

Great news! Been waiting for an iPhone version of FM for a while now. Earlier today I was even contemplating downloading CM2010 - so glad I didn't!

Sooo... will this work on the iPad too or will there be a seperate version for that?

This is fantastic news, seriously, but will the game contain any form of multiplayer? Surely after the announcement of new online gaming features coming in OS 4.0 it would be a missed trick not to include (or at least add in an update at a later date) support for bluetooth/wifi/3G multiplayer.

This is fantastic news, seriously, but will the game contain any form of multiplayer? Surely after the announcement of new online gaming features coming in OS 4.0 it would be a missed trick not to include (or at least add in an update at a later data) support for bluetooth/wifi/3G multiplayer.

Well seeing they were announced to developers on friday and this would've been in development for quite some time, its a bit hard for them to have built in those capabilities in 3 days. ;)

I do agree though it would be a fantastic addition :thup:

Well seeing they were announced to developers on friday and this would've been in development for quite some time, its a bit hard for them to have built in those capabilities in 3 days. ;)

I do agree though it would be a fantastic addition :thup:

Yeah I understand that :) I mean that hopefully multiplayer is either something they have yet to announce or its something they have planned to add at a later data. 4.0 will change everything with regards to gaming on the iPhone/iPod/iPad. With the inclusion of an Xbox Live style buddy system and achievements it would be great if FM were updated to take advantage of these new features.

Im probably getting ahead of myself tho, im just glad its finally here!

• SI Staff
Has this been well tested on 2G, 3G and 3GS as they all have different RAM and Processor speeds.

Yes I build and tested the game primarily on an old iTouch to verify it played at a decent rate on that then we tested on faster processors (and obviously on an iPhone to verify call interrupt functionality etc.).

Its very fast and playable on the oldest machines and uber speedy on the 3gs basically.

PS - Those of you who have in the past asked what I was working on when I mysteriously mentioned it now know ;)

• SI Staff
This is fantastic news, seriously, but will the game contain any form of multiplayer? Surely after the announcement of new online gaming features coming in OS 4.0 it would be a missed trick not to include (or at least add in an update at a later date) support for bluetooth/wifi/3G multiplayer.

No - that OS isn't out for ages, and it's something we'll consider if we do futher versions.

Has this been well tested on 2G, 3G and 3GS as they all have different RAM and Processor speeds.

Yes. It's obviously much faster on the 3GS and later generation touches, but it works fine on 1st gen iPod touch.

Yes I build and tested the game primarily on an old iTouch to verify it played at a decent rate on that then we tested on faster processors (and obviously on an iPhone to verify call interrupt functionality etc.).

Its very fast and playable on the oldest machines and uber speedy on the 3gs basically.

PS - Those of you who have in the past asked what I was working on when I mysteriously mentioned it now know ;)

Glad to hear as I am on a 3G atm awaiting news on iPhone 4G :D

• SI Staff
brilliant news. I just hope it doesnt cane the battery

Its fairly battery friendly but be warned you can find it isn't particularly 'time friendly' - I've often looked up at the clock and thought bugger I was meant to be doing something this evening apart from just playing the game ;)

No - that OS isn't out for ages, and it's something we'll consider if we do futher versions.

Thank you :thup:

I perhaps worded that badly, I wasnt expecting online multiplayer from the off (tho bluetooth may have been a possibility) I was just wondering if with the recent announcement of 4.0 and its new gaming features would there be any chance of an update to take advantage of it in July - or thereafter - when the OS is released.

Cheers tho, heres hoping its a success and FM Handheld 2011 adds online support.

Archived