Centre backs playing TERRIBLY on 10.3

Every game one of my centre backs has a rating of 5.5 - 5.8 at half time and manages to recover to around 6.4 by full time. I have the two best centre backs on the game and am playing them as 'Centre Backs' as player roles. Has anyone else experienced this and solved it? It started happening literally the first game after 10.3 was installed so I imagine its some sort of tactical change.

Cheers

I have experienced it.

I have two very good centre backs for the level I'm playing at. We have had the meanest defence in the league both seasons I've played but their average match rating is still very low. The only time they seem to get more than 7 is if they conjure up a goal from a corner.

I haven't found a solution. However, as I don't concede many I haven't thought of it as a problem.

at first they were a joke the gap that was left between them was a joke, there ok now tho aslong as yoou dont have them closing down to much, at first i did on newest patch and they would run out and player would run behind but now there good

at times the game just says you will let this goal in like the center back making no attempt to get the ball just turns and watches a palyer run by him

Take a look at the player stats page for the game when they've performed badly. Assuming they haven't made a glaring mistake for a goal, their rating will probably be low because they're misplacing most or their passes, missing tackles/interceptions or losing headers. If this happens consistently, you can tweak your tactics to try and help improve the situation.

I noticed that when you give your centrebacks an instruction to show opponents(forwards especially) onto his weaker foot it always leaves huge gaps in defence which they'll always take advantage of...since I totally dropped this instruction against forwards things suddenly improved and my defence looks a lot better indeed! I'll never use any special instruction against opponents strikers and itäs going very well so far...

Anyone else noticed this bug or whatever it is?

I don't think defenders are rated for anything that can't be measured, like bad positioning (which is a bad thing, of course). So check their stats, maybe you will find something interesting. For example incoming balls from corners may usually swing towards their directions and when the defending players clear the ball, it counts as a lost header for them every time.

This is one of the reasons I have stuck with the three-back set. I have a league 2 side, and my two centerbacks in a 4-4-2 were getting ripped by the "closing down" tactic that Sando123 mentioned above. However, I've found that in a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 or any formation that allows for three center backs, the performance of my team across the board is better.

The worst part is that in the second half my centerbacks are getting toasted. I'll run a 4-4-2 and be up 2-1 at half only to give up three goals because my centerback tries to close down and gets out of position. If I have an extra back in the mix to provide cover, I can close down and still have two back to cover.

Just my bit o' advice.

I've noticed this. I have had several games when defenders who normally play something like 6.7-6.9 even on bad games have ratings about 5.0-5.5 on half-time. I just tend to sacrifice substitutions to get them off; the new players tend to play 1.0-1.5 better even if I lose. It doesn't seem to be about the individual players themselves; it seems to hit them randomly: The Man of the Match of one game has been the worst in the next game and played well again in the next one after it.

I play, defending on opponent, from defend or counter to control style; lately Rigid or Balanced tactic.

I was getting it a bit in the early season, but I put it down to having a 20y.o. and 19y.o. pairing, I brought back in my cover 32y.o. for a few games and rotated the other two. The extra experience with a more experienced (but not nowhere near as good) player had it sorted out by mid October. Now my CBs only get bad ratings if they do something stupid.

Archived