The Fundemental aspect now missing from Football Manager

"Confidence"

At the moment there is no "confidence" rating, its mixed up in "morale". This is why we need patch, after patch, after patch to help balance the huge influence morale has over results. This isn't the fault of SI because morale and confidence continue to be the big difference makers in football games around the world. But, these two vitally important factors which govern a players performance on the pitch must now be seperated and fully realised so that we as players can make the right choices for our teams - and not end up on these forums frustrated that our players simply aren't performing as we could of expected them two. I'd like to now explore some examples of why confidence and morale while similar can be completely out of sync with each other.

18 year old striker on the cusp of starting an English Premier League game

Morale = Superb . Confidence = Low

His morale in the club will be sky high, and why not! He's at the start of his career and about to make his debut. But, his confidence will be low because he is steping into the unknown, and there is no hiding place when out on the pitch is there. As a manager we should be able to give this player a place on the bench to make small improvements to his confidence. Also, a few minutes at the end of previous game might boost it a little higher.

30 year old striker dropping down a level (think Michael Owen moving to Newcastle from Real Madrid)

Morale = Low. Confidence = Superb

In Michael Owens case he has never doubted his own ability to score goals, so the consistancy of performance should be quite robust. But his overall Morale will be low as its a big drop down from Madrid to Newcastle.

Finally, I'd ask you all to consider how many times you hear real life football managers talk about confidence but not morale.

in response to the original post- i know wht your saying, it would be more in depth and realistic, but then how would you differentiate between the two throughout a season, like if moral or confidence was low then would praising them not raise both? and from what i read on these forums most people would probably think of it as too fidgety or too much like hard work. tis a good idea, and theres always little extras you want in the game. i suppose in truth SI have got it pretty decent as it is. im in a mellow mood today and not prepared to commit myself to an idea lol

"Confidence"

At the moment there is no "confidence" rating, its mixed up in "morale". This is why we need patch, after patch, after patch to help balance the huge influence morale has over results. This isn't the fault of SI because morale and confidence continue to be the big difference makers in football games around the world. But, these two vitally important factors which govern a players performance on the pitch must now be seperated and fully realised so that we as players can make the right choices for our teams - and not end up on these forums frustrated that our players simply aren't performing as we could of expected them two. I'd like to now explore some examples of why confidence and morale while similar can be completely out of sync with each other.

18 year old striker on the cusp of starting an English Premier League game

Morale = Superb . Confidence = Low

His morale in the club will be sky high, and why not! He's at the start of his career and about to make his debut. But, his confidence will be low because he is steping into the unknown, and there is no hiding place when out on the pitch is there. As a manager we should be able to give this player a place on the bench to make small improvements to his confidence. Also, a few minutes at the end of previous game might boost it a little higher.

30 year old striker dropping down a level (think Michael Owen moving to Newcastle from Real Madrid)

Morale = Low. Confidence = Superb

In Michael Owens case he has never doubted his own ability to score goals, so the consistancy of performance should be quite robust. But his overall Morale will be low as its a big drop down from Madrid to Newcastle.

Finally, I'd ask you all to consider how many times you hear real life football managers talk about confidence but not morale.

Are you seriously telling me that christiano ronaldo was not confident when he made his debut? Not all youngsters will lack confidence just because its their debut. I think this would just lead to nearly all youngsters lacking confidence until they play x amount of games, requiring patch after patch to solve.

I think its fine the way it is, and don't understand why people find the tiniest thing in the game to complin about.

Yes, I agree with Gregt or Smokey, it is not a bad idea but not badly needed either. There will be a nagging new problem of differentiating the two aspects, both in coding and in playing. As for Michael Owen, another interpretation will be: a player may get down low in confidence when being told his current level is not good enough to play for a certain club, yet his morale is high as he's back in a more familiar surroundings with some hope to be a club's important player once again.

who saids a youngsters confidence would be low on his debut, i dont think rooneys was when he scored a hatrick into fenerbache in the c.l, if his morale is high then most likly his confidence is to since hes happy and on the up.

fine the way it is i say no need for change.

Archived