Suggestion: Player News Section (Includes mockups)

Ok, I was thinking about this the other day.

We have a place where we can filter news about the topics we want, and even a search box to make things easier.

But I believe it would be REALLY convenient to have a 'Latest news' tab in player profiles, where you could see all recent news related to that player in particular in an easier way.

Also, without you having to access that particular tab, it would be great to include the headlines of the 3 or 4 last news about him right into the his main profile page. These headlines would, of course, be clickable.

For example, the main profile page could be modified into something like this:

- Picture

And, when you access the section, it could look something like this (just copying over from the main 'messages' section of the game):

- Picture

Please keep in mind that these are only mere MOCKUPS of what it could look like. The design would obviously be carried over by the SI guys that... well... design stuff icon_biggrin.gif

What I'm trying to put up here is only the IDEA, not the way it should look.

What do you think about it?

Ok, I was thinking about this the other day.

We have a place where we can filter news about the topics we want, and even a search box to make things easier.

But I believe it would be REALLY convenient to have a 'Latest news' tab in player profiles, where you could see all recent news related to that player in particular in an easier way.

Also, without you having to access that particular tab, it would be great to include the headlines of the 3 or 4 last news about him right into the his main profile page. These headlines would, of course, be clickable.

For example, the main profile page could be modified into something like this:

- Picture

And, when you access the section, it could look something like this (just copying over from the main 'messages' section of the game):

- Picture

Please keep in mind that these are only mere MOCKUPS of what it could look like. The design would obviously be carried over by the SI guys that... well... design stuff icon_biggrin.gif

What I'm trying to put up here is only the IDEA, not the way it should look.

What do you think about it?

Not sure about the need to have players demands including things like cars and houses. Isn't there a competitor game that offers these kind of features anyway?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trekman:

Not sure about the need to have players demands including things like cars and houses. Isn't there a competitor game that offers these kind of features anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that that is the main idea behind this post...

bridport_james - goldfish, like humans, are always going to die, because they know that when they die a new little baby is going to come into the worldicon_smile.gif It all ends wellicon_wink.gif

I like the idea's, but I dont really get the ice cream stuff!

Im not sure how it could be implemented, are you thinking that the cars, houses, etc could be selectable like how we select players for player exchanges?

If so I like the idea, if not then I reckon the contract screen could become rather unorganised.

Jeez, I really thought that the 'ice-cream' thing would definately let everyone notice the sarcasm in the news item... lol.

For everyone who didn't get it, that was just an attempt to (maybe) bring up some smiles here and there... it has nothing to do with the suggestion icon_wink.gif You can ignore the content of the news items themselves, my idea is about 'grouping' all the news related to a player inside his profile, so that you can conveniently see them together.

It all comes because I recently read a post here (can't remember who started it) about how we players are sometimes a bit "isolated" from the FM world, specially in lower league games, because you don't really know what's going on to the likes of Kaká, Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo unless you manually check their news everyday.

I believe this would help a bit to keep you "connected" to the gameworld. I know this still wouldn't make news hit your messages inbox, but this way you would only need to take a quick look to the player's profile to know if he just signed a new contract, had an argument with his manager, etc. And taking a quick look to a player's profile is exactly what I do when I feel curious about him.

As the game is right now, if you don't have a player in your shortlist you can only see his current attributes, stats, and a little info about his current personal state in the 'Personal' tab from his profile.

I think it would be a step in the right direction, but I obviously don't know how FM stores the news data in the game to make this possible or not.

Let's hope someone (from SI?) can give a little info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

I see Mock Ups becoming a new fashion on here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does seem to help visualise a person's ideas, which in some cases is the key to the suggestion. Plus FM is becoming a little more graphics laden, which is not a bad thing imo.

Great idea!

Hopefully the mock-ups do catch on because it certainly conveys your thoughts and ideas better than words. (...which, ironicly, is exactly why i had previously suggested SI should use more graphics in the game rather than bundles of text)

Keep them coming...!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Madisun:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

I see Mock Ups becoming a new fashion on here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does seem to help visualise a person's ideas, which in some cases is the key to the suggestion. Plus FM is becoming a little more graphics laden, which is not a bad thing imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. Wasn't complaining, I like them icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

It's a good idea and something we've scratched the surface with by being able to go to competitions and see the latest news relating to that competition.

Not sure if it will be practical to do this for teams / players as storing these news items takes up a fair amount of space. Multiply that by the amount of teams / players in the game and it soon mounts up.

It would be nice to be able to see this sort of stuff though. icon14.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Haha, reading some of the replies to your post makes me think you might regret mentioning the houses, cars and ice-creams now... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest it doesn't matter about the content of the news, it could all be in Klingon and the point VMX made would still be illustrated well icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Haha, reading some of the replies to your post makes me think you might regret mentioning the houses, cars and ice-creams now... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest it doesn't matter about the content of the news, it could all be in Klingon and the point VMX made would still be illustrated well icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. Just a shame that a lot of people chose to focus on the fact he mentioned Corvettes etc.

Wow! First of all, thanks for such a positive response. I'm glad you guys like it.

And now about what Ter said:

That was, in fact, my main concern about it. I didn't know how FM generates/stores news data about players, and I was afraid this could be a problem.

But I guess there could surely be some kind of mid-term solution?

For example, what about reducing the 'player-news' storage to only those players in the divisions chosen by the user (who could choose to NOT store player news at all as well)?

Might also be possible to adjust the number of news stored for each player (maybe in the form of "low" - "medium" - "high" levels of detail)?

Just like you can choose different levels of match-detail for the different leagues that are being simulated (both at the start of the game and during the game), it would be great to let the user choose if he wants 'player news' to be stored at all, or just for his division, or for some other divisions too, etc.

Obviously, warning the user about the bigger amount of diskspace/RAM necessary to make it work would be a must. But I know that some of us with 250/500+ GB disks wouldn't mind the savegames to be even bigger than what they already are, in return for a deeper game experience, while those people in laptops or smaller HD's could leave things as they are...

And, if you ever wanted to reduce the size of a savegame file just once for a particular reason (when it's already too big), maybe you could "untick" some news-storage options, and after the next save the news items would've been removed and the file would be "small" again?

I obviously know nothing about the viability of these things because I don't know how FM is designed. And from a programmer's point of view, I DO KNOW that making all this stuff so "dynamic" can be one hell of a mess for the people who design it.

But I believe it could be worth it if you find it possible to do?

Well, at least I hope you can note it down as "suggestion #657456" in your abandoned things that might someday be included in the game list icon_biggrin.gif

Archived