Do Ronaldo/Messi/Rooney/Fabregas/Lampard etc move ever in FM10?

Hi,

I have completed a few saves spanning 5-6 seasons each and I have never seen the biggest stars of today move clubs (Messi, Ronaldo and Fabregas comes to mind). I think it is difficult for the clubs in the game to go for these players as they cost too much (obviously) but some dynamics should be expected over the course of 5-10 years, no? Of course, it doesnt count if you have seen Lampard go to West Ham when he is 37..

The list can of course be made longer;

For example, I have never seen Torres, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Sneijder, Etoo, Pato, Benzema, Ibrahimovic, Xavi, Dani Alves, even the always rumour-king David Villa move.

Instead it is always the same stars moving; Ribery, Dzeko, Zapata, Suarez..

Now, this may seem realistic if you look at the football world today (because this is how we know it - Terry would never leave Chelsea and Messi in a shirt other than Barca would look silly, right?) but in five years we may look back and smile at the naiveity that all these players never changed clubs.

Please list big transfers you have seen in FM10. This does NOT include Lukaku at the age of 23 etc but only superstars of today.

Have you seen Pato go to Chelsea for 50M or perhaps seen Man City buy Torres for 65M etc?

I understand what you are saying and as you say looking at real life most of these players will be unlikely to leave their clubs unless they are coming to the end of their careers.

I have not seen very many of these transfers on my current game but that is to be expected and does follow real life.

I am not sure I agree with your comments about naiveity as these players are obviously very loyal and it makes a refreshing change to see this. I for one play as Liverpool and I have yet to sell Gerrard or Torres in any version or game that I have ever played. These two players for me still perform really well into their mid thirties so I play them and I renew their contracts and try and keep them on as coaches if I can.

The only time I have really ever had any of these players was when I managed to buy Silva in FM2009 for around £60 million. I managed to get Ibrahimovic when he was 33 and I only got him as a back up until the beginning of the next season. I have actually tried to get Messi a few days ago and had an offer accepted but he turned me down and I could also not match his current wages either.

I've seen Cesc move to Barcelona for about £80M, Villa has joined Chelsea for similar ad I've seen Drogba move to a couple of different clubs. I'm sure there's been loads more but can't think off the top of my head.

As for Torres - he always seems to stay at Liverpool until he retires.

No, now that you mention it I don't think I have.

That said, the clubs associated with those players are never in the position of having to sell their best players. They will move if the club sells them for ridiculous amounts - but only players (rather than AI) splash the required cash :)

Torres, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Sneijder, Etoo, Pato, Benzema, Ibrahimovic, Xavi, Dani Alves, even the always rumour-king David Villa

These guys are the best in the world at massive clubs - who can afford them except other massive clubs. And other massive clubs already have great players. For example - Barcelona won't sign Gerrard or Lampard because they already have Xavi and Iniesta.

Sneijder - who's going to buy him? He's already been to Real - who else can afford him that needs him?

Ribery moves because he is a big fish in a small pond (relatively).

Only one in your list who could move would be Fabregas simply because of the Barca link. Maybe Villa because of Valencia's debt.

Once a truly great player moves - he's unlikely to move again. Messi, Ronaldo etc.

ok, interesting feedback on my OP. I see some of you truly have had some turbulence in terms of big players moving. I stand corrected then.

Maybe there is another side to it; IRL players go up and down status-wise. For example, Ronaldinho suddenly became a shadow of his own self and players who once looked so promising are today good but not star players (Reyes, Simao, Quaresma, T. Henry, Fat Ronaldo, Vieira, Luca Toni, ). When this happens they often move. In the game, the players stay world class for their whole careers, making their careers very static. As you have pointed out, why would a world class player leave a world class club and vice versa.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the likes of Kaka, Aguero and Benzema fading away from the group of players we today call world class and become good but not star players. Players are only human afterall IRL, whereas in the game they are like super robots :-)

Of course, being AI they are more or less mini-robots so it kinda makes sense.

I got Rooney for £40 million for my Arsenal team in 2020, he was in his thirties but still had good enough attributes to compete in the CL.

I believe most people, apart from Messi, and perhaps Ronaldo, could be persuaded away, given that they get much more money, or if you get them when they are getting old, so they demand less and just want to play football

I don't think I've seen most of them move.

On my game, Torres stayed at Liverpool till 2020, got a coaching role at QPR, before I brought him back as my assistant.

Ronaldo stayed at Real for the rest of his career.

Rooney stayed at Man U, joined Blackburn as a youth coach, then I picked him as an England coach, and he's since gone back to Man U as a coach

FAbregas stayed at Arsenal, became a youth coach at Ipswich, before I signed him as a coach

Messi got released by Barce in about 2023, don't know if he got signed by anyone else afterwards, but he's retired now.

Lampard stayed at Chelsea before taking various assistant or managerial roles since 2015.

Terry stayed at Chelsea before retiring to become a coach.

Sneijder - Stayed at Real

Ribery - Went on a free in 2011 to Real and stayed till he retired.

Etoo - Stayed at Inter

Pato - Stayed at AC Milan

Benzema - Stayed at Real

Ibrahimovic - Stayed at Barce

Xavi - Stayed at Barce

Dani Alves - Stayed at Barce

David Villa - Stayed at Valencia.

Aguero - Stayed at A. Madrid, and was banging in the goals till he retired at the end of the 2024/2025 season

So by my save at least, most big players didn't move. What was said earlier is right, once a big player has move to a big club, it's unlikely that they'll leave, as they'll be moving down or sideways. And people will have to pay extortionate prices to get them to.

I'm in Sep 2015 and here's the big players on my game...

Cristiano Ronaldo is still at Madrid

Messi is still at Barcelona

Sergio Aguero is still at Atletico Madrid

Tevez is still at Man City

Xavi is still at Barca

Pato has moved to Barca

Fabregas is still at Arsenal

Casillas is still at Real Madrid

Gourcuff moved to Chelsea

Sissoko moved to Man City

Fernando Torres is still at Liverpool along with Gerrard achieving no glory...

Mario Balloteli moved to Hoffenheim.... (I forgot to buy him when he was unsettled)

Wayne Rooney is at Chelsea

Davide Santon moved to OL

Neymar moved to Bayern... (The buggers)

Lukaku moved to Inter

Miguel Veloso moved to Inter

Alexis Sanchez moved to Roma

Those are just some of the big names careers in my game...

In my current FM2010 game, I got hold of Rooney for Spurs for £45m. Man Utd have faded away into a half-decent UEFA cup team. Got Gourcuff on a free at the start of the 2013/14 season, he's been a revelation.

Gattuso (fairly big name?) is at Sunderland, after moving to Chelsea at the start of the game.

Drogba has been floating around the French leagues for about 3 years now, at Le Mans at the minute.

absolutely possible.

On my Southamption save, I have:

signed Rooney from Man U on 90m

signed Gourcouff on free

signed Alder on free

signed Vidic on 50m

scouting report of Torres indicate that he is interested to move, I did not move because I have already 5 strikers.

signed Drogba on free (after he was released by Chelski)

Of course, your team have to be of high reputation. I won the PL, CL, and all the cups. I am not playing that save now, but the only players so far untouchable is Ronaldo and Messi but if you can consistently whack them in cup competitions, its only a matter of time.

Hi,

I have completed a few saves spanning 5-6 seasons each and I have never seen the biggest stars of today move clubs (Messi, Ronaldo and Fabregas comes to mind). I think it is difficult for the clubs in the game to go for these players as they cost too much (obviously) but some dynamics should be expected over the course of 5-10 years, no? Of course, it doesnt count if you have seen Lampard go to West Ham when he is 37..

As Liverpool manager I have got Aguero, Fabregas, C.Ronaldo & Messi in my 1st team, It is January 2014 by the way

I got Lampard at my premiership Leeds team when he was 36 for free. Also Ronaldo left Real Madrid and went to AC Milan. Drogbas at Benfica. Had Ibrahimovic for a season too and I currently have Ashley Cole

Looking though this post, it great to see FM actually hving variety, rather than a linear path eg: Wagner Love to City (EVERYTIME)

I am on 2019:

Dzeko - Roma

Rooney - Still at UTD

David Villa - Just retired, but was at Valencia still

Lampard - (now one of my coaches) remained at Chelsea for career

John Terry - (one of my coaches) remained at Chelsea for career

Fabregas - still at Arsenal

Xavi/Iniesta/ Messi - still at Barca

The big players in medium/ slightly less than top clubs will always be looking onwards. IRL this was the case with Berbatov, so there are definate similarities between FM and IRL. The mahoooosive transfers only happen every few years (for instance, Pato - Man City on my game) which again IRL (Tevez - City, Robinho - city etc)

on mine in 2017;

EPL

Rooney - still @ Utd aged 31

Lampard - released end of 2014/15 season -> Bolton -> Newcastle -> retired

Drogba - released end of 2012/13 season -> Anderlecht -> Ipswich -> retired

Terry - still @ Chelsea aged 36

Gerrard - stayed at Liverpool until retirement, now at Villa youth coach

Torres - still @ Liverpool aged 33

Fabregas - still @ Arsenal aged 30

La Liga

Cassillas (36), Ramos (31), Ronaldo (32), Higuain (29), Kaka (35), Benzema (29), Albiol (32) and Alonso (35) all still @ Real Madrid, some others are too like L.Diarra and Gago

Iniesta (33), Alves (34) and some players in their prime like Pique, Bojan, Messi all still @ Barca. Valdes released end 2015/16 season (Espanyol now), Ibrahimovic 2015 (free transfer), Xavi and Puyol both retired at the club too

Archived