Judging player ability/potential

I manage in the lower leagues where getting decent staff is difficult. However, I have managed to find a coach and an assman who each have a JPA of 11 which is about as good as you can get there if they aren't totally useless at everything else.

What I am not clear about is how they come to their assessment of how good a potential signing will be compared to my existing players. I am interested in a striker who my assman and coach believe should only be signed as a last resort. They say that he would be the 5th best striker in the squad if he were to be signed. However, when I do a comparison with the player whom they both reckon is the best of my existing strikers (and I think he is too), I find that the player whom I want to sign actually rates better overall in each of the three attribute panels when you add the figures up. My third and fourth best strikers are awful and yet somehow they rate this guy as worse than them....

I assume that it's basically a matter of a combination adding up the overall scores and then looking at their distribution (for example, I wouldn't worry if a centre back had a finishing stat of 1 particularly and so wouldn't care very much if he was outscored by another centre back with a finishing stat of 7)?

Presumably this shows that JPA of 11 is pretty incompetent!

Maybe the 11 JPA stats are low, but if a player has 15 finishing and he's a fairly inconsistent lad would you choose him over another who has 12 finishing and pressure never gets to him.

My advice read the scout report all over again, then asses what you will do. Ultimately it's your judgment he can be truly crap as your coach say or he can turn out a very good piece of business.

Having had another look and done some further comparisons, I am coming more and more to the conclusion that staff judgements appear to value physical stats quite a lot more highly than skill.

An example is that my coach who looked at another striker for me, recommended signing him and said that he was very close in ability to the best guy I have. His physical stats were certainly OK apart from jumping (3) - indeed, he had good pace and acceleration and a decent strength stat too, but the highest skill stat he had was 6 (for passing), his finishing stat was 3 and his heading stat was 2. Incidentally he had poor composure, as well.

It appears to me that such a player would be pretty useless as a striker even in the BSS, given that he can't shoot, can't head and would tend to panic in front of goal anyway, so one takes these judgements with a very large pinch of salt!

Coaches judge on CA/PA not distribution of attributes so you need to look yourself to make sure there is a good distribution.

In your first example the difference is probably "Two-footedness"

What I am interested in knowing really is how they arrive at their assessments of CA/PA. What exactly do CA and PA mean, anyway, in the context of the game? And if a player will, in fact, do OK for you because of his attributes, what is the point of this separate CA assessment in any case?

The whole system seems odd to me, somehow. It's almost as though it's designed to be unhelpful.

Archived