shots vs chances vs goals

In the last 20 matches I always have more than 15 shots (on and off target) and 0 or at most 1 clear cut chances! Also i find it very difficult to score! what is the reason behind this? I care mostly about the lack of clear chances

technically this is a more of a tactics forum question (so expect it to get moved at some point)

that said ... theres a few things that will be affecting your scoring chances

time on ball before shot

distance from goal

passing opportunities

support via defensive distraction (if they have to cover someone else, they arent free to challenge your man 2/3v1)

slowing the tempo a little can allow your players more opportunity to 'get into position'

altering the ratio of players assigned to support/attacking play slightly can help too

forward runs, crossing from touchline, mentalities, and several touchline shouts all have an influence too

experiment, tinker & have fun

thedore has a slight point there, but if the player has NO other options open to him, he'll take a chance of the longshot. Setting Long Shots to minimum isn't telling the player "Never try a Long Shot" it's telling him "Dont try a Long Shot very often" ... theres a massive difference between the 2.

Long shots could be the problem. I have a world class striker who I set to be a Deep Lying Forward, and he normally has 10-15 shots a game, and while usually he does net a few, it's kinda wasteful. After checking the analysis, he's taking a lot from outside the area, so I'm going to alter his instructions to make him cut down.

Try this

Long shots : Everyone rarely

Through balls : Midfielders often, wingers, strikers, FB's average

Have both your strikers as Target Men with team instruction, Use TargetMan, Run onto Ball

Have one or both MC's with back arrows, otherwise the MC's often receive the ball with a defender in their face.

Train your midfielders to "look for pass rather than score"

Archived