'Pick up where you left off!'

Just wondering if there is a negative side to telling a player this in your team talk?

Do some players react badly and cite the manager pressure as a reason?

Don't think I've ever had a negative reaction to it, its either no reaction or a positive one and I use it a fair bit.

When i get the option to use this advice ,i have noticed that the player usually responds positively. It tends to happen when certain players are playing in the kind of game that they dream of. They seem to have the game of their life. I find that they usually fade later in the game and then i try to sub them so that they can get the applause from the crowd. assume that it is good for their morale. :-)

im not sure sorry i cant answer your question but i have noticed that if you say this they then chose not to pick up where they left off and play ****

I choose the talk whenever it's offered and quite often I find they have an average or below-par performance. I can't scientifically deduce that the team-talk caused it, but I suspect that another talk might have brought about a better performance.

Archived