Why can't I offer higher wages?

@ bugabugas: Yeah, it's the salary per year. Unfortunately I'm no Hoffenheim ;)

@ trekman: As I wrote, I'm €2.3M under the wage budget, so that shouldn't be the problem.

@DavidG589: Is there any way to change what they're willing to spend?

Increasing your wage budget does change it, even if you are miles under it.

It does, you just have to increase it massively. So unless you have a transfer budget of over 100m it isn't very effective. You need to double or treble the overall budget. It's easiest to see with smaller clubs where it is much easier to increase your budget by a large percentage.

It would be nice if the idea of altering your wage structure was implemented. But you have to remember that if you offered 275k a week to Messi, then eventually the rest of your established 'indespensible' players would want parity with him. Which could well lead to financial meltdown.

The board may set a maximum per player, according to the club reputation and scope, even if your budget is healthy.

About the confusion over wage period - In international business, salaries are conventionally set on a yearly basis (including British multinationals and government). Curiously, British people think wages on a weekly basis, Latin peoples on a monthly basis, and Americans on a yearly basis. But even in British corporate football, wages are always set on a yearly basis.

Archived