Old, slow, small, technically rubbish, unfit squad.

I've just taken the Villa job in 2020, they're 16th with 3 games to play, Arsenal and City away and Sunderland at home. If I keep them up ( and that is a big IF) I'm thinking a virtual complete squad overhaul. Normally I know the advice is change 2/3 players at a time, but at the staff meeting I was informed the squad is the oldest, slowest, least fit, one of the smallest and one of the worst technically. Anyone think the overhaul is a bad idea?

When I took the Liverpool job in 2021 on my save, I got rid of almost all the first team. £194 million spent over the first season, £134 million received. Most of the team was absolute rubbish. Under my leadership, we've won 3 consecutive league titles, amongst many other cups. And am on course to win everything in my 4th season. Only 3 players remain from the team I inherited.

I was lucky though, I have a tycoon in charge, so I could afford too.

Overhaul over a summer period does no harm. :thup:

You have pre-season, to settle the new players in and allow them to get use to the tactics etc.

Think I'm going to go for it. It seems the main problems are defensively. I lost 4-3 away at Arsenal but got a 2-2 away at city and beat sunderland 4-3 at home. 9 scored but conceded 9 mostly ridiculous goals, but stayed up 16th. Not got too much money available but hopefully find a good GK and some decent defensive players to steel up for next season.

I would seriously just get rid of everyone, except maybe keep hold of just a few until the January transfer window...like, maybe the captain?

But, at the end of the day, if you only added a few faces all of those older players would be that much slower and your newer faces might not be able to get them out of the relegation battle next season. At least next season you'd be almost guaranteed a good run in the 2nd half of the season when they gel.

Don't just aim for English young talents: you won't afford it. Get some (6,7,8) 22-26 year-olds from Portugal, Poland, France, Holland where they are way cheaper, enough to keep you up. A good campaign could set you back as little as 12-14 mills. Sell most of what you have, and by next summer get a few 18-21 year olds, too. Just make sure you play them enough to get gelled during pre-season or reserves. You should be fine in a season, a season and a half at most.

Archived