Old War Horses

This is a quick question that is bound to turn into a huge block of text...my bad lol.

Short question: do you ever sign any older players on the game?

On the last few games I had a policy that when a player hit 29 (bar a few exceptions) I'd sell a player off, to capitalise off the money and let him go before he slumps a season or two later. In this game though (maybe because I started in the Championship and am working my way up) I'm finding myself signing up older players on free transfers or small transfer fees, just because I like the idea of having them play for my teams.

Examples:

Mark Van Bommel (34, nearly 35) = Free

Shevchenko (then 34, now 35) = £575,000

Torrado (33, nearly 34) = Free

Thierry Henry (33, now 34) = Free

William Gallas (33, now 34) = Free

Keita (just turned 32) = £425,000

Olic (32) = £2,500

Add to that some more expensive signings of older players:

Riquelme (33) = £6million

Poulsen (31) = £1.7million

And this is only this season, I could go back the last few seasons and run off a list!!

To be fair, I sold Henry for £1.5million and Gallas for £775k, but I don't think I recouped their signing on fees.

Despite all of these "oldies" my average squad age is 27 (I know there are people bragging about having age 23) but for me, I'm enjoying my approach to the game. I'm seeing alot of decent players (rated at least 2.5 stars when joining my team) come and see out the end of their careers with my club, and I find that their experience is invaluable as I'm currently battling for a top 4 place (I told my board I'd be safe mid-table) but I'd be happy with 5th.

Do any other people adopt this approach? I obviously have to ship alot of the older players out regularly, but with I'm currently looking at Ronaldinho on a free at the end of the season aged 31. Even if he's just a replacement for the select older players I move on then I'll be happy.

I was happy with it, because he's 32, I could easily get a season or two out of him before selling. He's had 2 starts and come on 3 times as a sub and has scored 2 goals so far, rating of 7.10...pretty good. He just scored an 89th minute winner for me in his second start, so I'm chuffed with him :)

Depends on my situation. I'm currently managing Norwich in the PL and some experience is vital. Not to mention, I'm tight with money and older players tend to be cheaper than younger ones.

some can be great tutors as they often have high mental attributes.

even if you don't play them much in matches, as long as their wages are not too bad, it can be worth it just to have a guy just to tutor a promising youth player for a couple years

A few Old War Horses are vital in the lower leagues. Often most of your players are very young, therefore mentally immature, and the opposition are not technically gifted. Therefore, your Old Wat Horse adds that crucial element of footballing intelligence and is not out of his depth. I generally put them in midfield and make them captain. The fact that they are affordable is also a major point at that level. It's even better if you can bring them in as player/coaches due to the restrictions on coaches, so there are many advantages beyond tutoring in the lower levels.

A few Old War Horses are vital in the lower leagues. Often most of your players are very young, therefore mentally immature, and the opposition are not technically gifted. Therefore, your Old Wat Horse adds that crucial element of footballing intelligence and is not out of his depth. I generally put them in midfield and make them captain. The fact that they are affordable is also a major point at that level. It's even better if you can bring them in as player/coaches due to the restrictions on coaches, so there are many advantages beyond tutoring in the lower levels.

At least this way your getting your moneys worth! 2 roles out of one person! :D

Archived