Something i'd like you to know.

Apologies if this has been addressed before....

Trying to make a realistic video game is harder than making a fantasy game...lets face it.

I just thought to myself, how can you QUANTITATIVELY measure a skill, whether physical or mental? As in, give it a number out of 20, as FM10 does.

I find that very unrealistic, as e.g. mental stats can vary from match to match even, and can be influenced by numerous factors, which arent included in the game.

Can anyone explain to me how we arrived at a stat of '20' for Rory Delap's long throw skills? I know for a fact that Stoke are deadly when it comes to Delap throw ins, but 20? why not 19? why not less?

It's perfectly absurd to have any skill given a numerical value, though i understand these may be improvised based on real life.

I suggest, that we can have visual training sessions in game, and judge players based on training and competitive match form, rather than look at the stats and go "Oooh looks like a good player".

This IS NOT a rant, im just giving my thoughts here.

Personally, I don't want to have to watch the training sessions. Of course, in reality players don't run around with numbers on their forehead but do you really want all stats to be hidden? Sorry, but I like things the way they are in FM10.

As for the topic I don't see any issues with the way in which attributes are expressed

So you agree you think, for the sake of realism, we can just take a players stats and say "Right, i'll play him today because he has better stats than that other guy?"

Think about it the other way round.

Would a manager irl have player stats available to them? With a strict 18 or 19 or whatever?

For god's sake, you dont even have one decimal place for these stats...

??

But how am I suppost to judge a player without attributes?

I mean training would take a lot of time and would be extremely boring on a regular basis and form doesn't 100% work because players have ups and downs in there form.

I'd rather just judge a player through their ability in certain attributes.

Well, i still stand by my idea. It would prove much better since we will be judging players by form and training. What if a fringe player is working his a*s off in training while a starter is berbatoving around?

i think the attributes show how good they are at particular skills, then hidden attributes like consistency and handling pressure make their performance differ from game to game which i think is quite realistic, as players are better at some things than others and they dont get worse or better at that skill for each individual match but it is how they handle pressure and how consistent they are which determines how they perform on the day.

i think the attributes show how good they are at particular skills, then hidden attributes like consistency and handling pressure make their performance differ from game to game which i think is quite realistic, as players are better at some things than others and they dont get worse or better at that skill for each individual match but it is how they handle pressure and how consistent they are which determines how they perform on the day.

I agree to some extent, but my question is, HOW do you evaluate them and give them a specific number for a stat? Makes no sense the way its presented, though yes, i agree with you to some extent.

So you are saying a researcher will watch games day and night in order to do that? Illogic.

Plus with leagues like the championship which has 24 teams, how is someone supposed to watch each and every player to rate his stats? How is he supposed to rate players who never play?

I don't really think it would work. For example, say you have daily training reports and over the course of a week leading upto a match, your coaches return verdicts like:

Rooney has been below par in training this week

Macheda has been excellent in training this week

Obviously we would all know that although Macheda has trained better, Rooney would still be the better candidate to play in any league fixture.

However, when this same instance is replicated a few years down the line with regens, the choice would not be so obvious.

Realistic or not, without number based attributes, you woud be at the total behest of your coaches and their judgement and could very well end up not even knowing who your best players are.

Well, here is where my idea comes in handy.

No, it really doesn't. The problem is that no matter what is actually displayed to the person playing the game, the game itself has to have some quantifiable number to make calculations and create the game. Even if you were given an ambiguous statement of "Player X has good finishing" the game still needs a number. Thus, the researches still need to quantify all the skills in order to make the game reflect real life.

So you are saying a researcher will watch games day and night in order to do that? Illogic.

Plus with leagues like the championship which has 24 teams, how is someone supposed to watch each and every player to rate his stats? How is he supposed to rate players who never play?

Each team has a researcher who watches matches, reserve matches, U18 matches, gets fans opinions etc. I think they then report to other people that are higher up, maybe a co-ordinator of some sort.

Seconded above, or, more easily, you can assume that the numbers for each of your players' stats are created by your coaches if it makes you feel better.

Once again......how did they arrive at the numbers?

If you feel that strongly, you can ignore the attributes and set up lots of friendlies and observe your players over 90 minutes each time, making notes as you go along.

I'll Try that.

Archived