La Liga: How to beat Real Madrid?

I played with Barcelona on FM 2009, am now playing with At Madrid, and am sick and tired of being a runner-up for Real Madrid. I eventually beat Real Madrid but I always lose points throughout the season, putting that disgusting team on the top. Any suggestions on how to win La Liga? Muchas gracias.

When I was managing Valencia in maybe 2014/2015, Real were on like a 50 game unbeaten run, I beat them by playing 4-2-4 and trying to outscore them. Won 4-3 :D

So my advice is to take the game to them, play attacking and just try to be the lucky team that scores more goals...

Yeah it is tough - not becasue they have a great team but becasue of Kaka and Ronaldo - two pretty immense match winners. If you can stop those two players then for me you are more than half way there. I would have thought Barcelona would have been a more forbidable team. I used to play a tight control game against them but they seemed to over power me so as eldeniro has said - take the game to them and try and beat them at their own game - not stupid all out attack but controlled agression and dont give them any time on the ball.

I can occasionally beat Real Madrid. The problem is the season overall: they just don't stop beating all the other teams, whereas I may eventually tie. There must be some other ways to undermine Real Madrid: what about stealing some of their players, even if at a hefty price?...

I can occasionally beat Real Madrid. The problem is the season overall: they just don't stop beating all the other teams, whereas I may eventually tie. There must be some other ways to undermine Real Madrid: what about stealing some of their players, even if at a hefty price?...

But the standard of Real Madrid can change from game to game. In the first few seasons they dropped quite a few points, but lately they have been very good - only losing their first game in February. I guess you are only as good as your opposition - and it seems Real Madrid on your game are pretty good. But they are beatable! ;)

As Valencia, Real Madrid and Barcelona aren't my problem; Getafe and Zaragoza are.

Against Real Madrid I generally play a deep line (to counter the speed of their strikers) and control the ball; I also press a lot, pass to feet, and work the ball into the box. Of course, if they score early I've gotta change that and it gets a bit chaotic...I mostly just hope that doesn't happen.

I have had a great spell of dominance vs Real and Barca on my save with At.Madrid ...

if I look at past meetings against R.Madrid I have 43pts vs their 25pts - What I do against them is close down, tackle hard and show their AML and AMR to their wings foot so they don't cut as much inside and have to cross as they almost never have great headers upfront, I also close down their DMC's as they try and dictate the play and spray on passes and it's worked charms ..

I also always press more and have more aggresive tackles, plus my shouts are; retain possesion, work ball into box and hassle oppo and It seems to be doing the trick, I have won the La Liga twice and once fell short to my mate who was Sevilla even though I had 97pts and a +70 GD that season

drop deeper, DR + DL set to defensive, Counter, clear ball to flanks, exploit flanks,

alternative to counter is contain, then overload at random (or when AI adjusts theirs to a more aggressive fashion)

run unto ball if you r sure your strikers are fast, else drill crosses, Casilas would catch any high ball into the box.

set marking to ronaldo, kaka and any other super fast player to Never, mark strikers, close AML, AMR, DM, CM, hard tackle DR DL and set ST AML AMR DR DL (and maybe DM) to weeker foot.

You will not beat madrid if you do not have more stamina on average, reasonable fast defenders, and fast wingers, and an overall semi consistent players.

Unless you are like Man City/Utd, the odds are you will be slower at dribbling, worse at passing, significantly worse flair.

Possible formation: DR, DC, DC, DL, DM - Anchor, CM - DLP sup, AMR + AML - wingers support, FC - Def Fwd att, ST - poacher

Put it this way; I don't fear Madrid at all - I really hate Chelsea though (their midfield is impregnable, they are supper tall, never lack stamina, and are forever motivated!)

To win the league set the "detail level" to full, the engine would be more realistic even if the game is a wee bit slower.

But by retaining possession you will never take the game to them, unless you are playing on attack mode...

As I said, it is possible to beat Real Madrid. The problem is that they have a machine that beats all other teams during the season. So, my club (At. Madrid) also has to be a machine, which is almost impossible, because I eventually tie or lose 1 or 2 games over the season...

But by retaining possession you will never take the game to them, unless you are playing on attack mode..

unless you have better players you CANNOT successfully take the game to them; the idea is to surprise them tactically. In addition, when you have the ball, they can't score! If you scout Madrid you'll realise they have a preference of playing on the counter; retaining possession renders this tactic mute. FYI this is not a defeated attitude.

If they want to win (something they inevitably want to), tire them out by making them chase you i.e. retain possession. Lack of stamina results in late challenges (i.e cautions) and reduced physical presence (pace and jumping) - all of which benefit you.

The problem is that they have a machine that beats all other teams during the season.

maybe... try adjusting the detail level so their reputation is not the sole deciding factor... and improve your tactics; every tactic has a weakness...

All I'm saying is that Madrid are quite beatable. At least it works for me.

I forgot to add retain possession always, get ball forward (and be wary of this) if and only if, you are like two goals up and madrid are being very aggressive.

Those two shouts are opposites of each other.

"Retain possession" as the word say it self is to keep the ball in other words play slower, shorter passing and be more careful not to loose the ball.

"Get ball forward" instructs the team to play a more direct style, quicker playing style.

I would use "get stuck in" and "Play Narrower" and maybe "Pump Ball Into Box" when chasing a goal.

"Retain possession" is only useful when you actually are the better team, the "get ball forward" shout is best used when you have a higher possession than your opponents, in this case unlikely.

4-5-1 probably is the best tactic against them, but it all depends how good your players form is compared to them.

In one save I'm managing Madrid and my team struggles sometimes against a 4-5-1 so I'm only assuming this would be the best option.

in my experience, get ball forward doesn't work for me if the AI opponent is playing counter attack - counter attack is Madrid's preferred way of playing. the same as Arsenal.

I prefer pass into space on a long pitch or shoot on sight on a short one.

then again it might just be my formation and players...

I know it is different circumstances but I beat them 3-1 at the Bernabau in the Champions League with my virtually unchanged Tottenham team. I was playing 4-4-2 Diamond with an Anchor Man and an Advanced Playmaker in midfield. In fact I outplayed them in both legs. I think Barcelona are far more formidable.

in my experience, get ball forward doesn't work for me if the AI opponent is playing counter attack - counter attack is Madrid's preferred way of playing. the same as Arsenal.

I prefer pass into space on a long pitch or shoot on sight on a short one.

then again it might just be my formation and players...

This actually surprises me, I let Madrid always play slow controlling football, switching back and forward to a quicker style a few times, only opting for counter attack when 2 goals in the lead.

In my other saves I've never played against them while AI controlled.

I know irl they like to play slow and then suddenly accelerate during a match, maybe it's the way they play it that doesn't have a real FM option besides counter play.

"Shoot on sight" can sometimes give good results yes, certainly when you don't seem to score CCC's.

Also maybe important is to look who's playing at the back, Madrid only has one quick center back with Pepe when they start out, if he isn't in the team "try through balls" could do the trick.

But still much depends on form in such matches.

I beat Real Madrid with 5-0 with my City team , 2 by aguero , 1 by modric, 1 Zapata and 1 S.Ireland.

i lost the first match but this win was something special. Some few tips:

LOW BACKLINE ! very important.

I put man- marking on C.R and Kaka with my wingers, the other fullbacks were marking aswell so it was 2on1. Something I had to risk, worked very well.

I used a 4-2-2-2, with 2 wingers.

So happy...

But my team is something extra.... 2nd season

In my Barca save I always had trouble playing Real. After more than 4 seasons our past meetings was like 34 points for Real, 22 for me.

But in 4 years I managed to Win la Liga 3 times. So i'm not complaining :)

And with 7 seasons Atletico I managed to win 4 times La liga but amazingly Real never managed to win it in 7 years.

La Liga: How to beat Real Madrid?

You need to score at least 1 more goal than Madrid to beat them. ;)

In the first season, when i play Real Madrid home & away i use a 4-5-1/4-3-3 and start on overload at Home and attack their wobbly defense then switch to counter and play narrow as the match goes on.

When i play them away i play with counter and play narrow for 90 mins.

Usually works for me, but it is tough to go away to Real Madrid and come away with something. :thup:

Archived