Player Roles

Is there any way you guys pick what specific role to play each player?

I find it hard getting the best out of some of my players and I think it's down to choosing which role to play them in.

Also would formations come into play as well? For example, would some strikers play better if they had a strike partner rather than playing up front on their own?

Thanks in advance :)

The first thing I do is check if his attributes are suited to the role :) if his attributes are good for several roles I think about what kind of football I want to play and adjust.

And yes, I would think (for example) a small striker would put in better performances if he had a big strike partner to win some headers upfront.

Also, while I'm in the mood for asking questions. The only player instructions in my tactics that I would normally use is telling the wingers not to cross as much and my midfielders to rarely attempt long shots. Do many people have much player instructions in their tactics? Basically, how much detail do you go into when developing tactics?

Also, while I'm in the mood for asking questions. The only player instructions in my tactics that I would normally use is telling the wingers not to cross as much and my midfielders to rarely attempt long shots. Do many people have much player instructions in their tactics? Basically, how much detail do you go into when developing tactics?

Very little. I use a spreadsheet I have created to pick the best role & duty for each player, then go through the various instructions and tweak a few things. e.g. set long shots to rarely for anyone who doesn't have a good long shots attribute..

i've found that choosing the right roles is one of the more important decisions i can make. you can place a guy in the right position but wrong role and he will struggle

i find i have to be really careful when i make a substitution, even if its a striker for striker swap, for example, to set the proper role for the player coming on.

I put tackling to "easy", and my MCa's rfd to "often".

Archived