Results are too inconsistent

I think the results are too inconsistent on FMH 08. I've lost to Liverpool (just), beat Arsenal in a 5-goal thriller with an injury time winner, then lost to Ipswich and Portsmouth with performances which would suggest we were leagues below them. My players are far better than Ipswich and Portsmouth players, and I have studied the opposition players strengths and weaknesses and set tactics accordingly before each match which has made no difference. My tactical choices before and during matches seem to make no difference. I wonder just how random the results are in this game.

I think the results are too inconsistent on FMH 08. I've lost to Liverpool (just), beat Arsenal in a 5-goal thriller with an injury time winner, then lost to Ipswich and Portsmouth with performances which would suggest we were leagues below them. My players are far better than Ipswich and Portsmouth players, and I have studied the opposition players strengths and weaknesses and set tactics accordingly before each match which has made no difference. My tactical choices before and during matches seem to make no difference. I wonder just how random the results are in this game.

• SI Staff

Quite often if you do well against more skillful sides but fade against the lesser ones then you lack 'grit' in your side and basically the players don't like a physical fight ... every team needs players who will roll up their sleves and get stuck in, especially in midfield.

(and results are determined purely by the playing out of the match as you watch it - what you see if what you get as you'd expect)

Well I do have gritty players in my (Newcastle) side - namely Alan Smith and Joey Barton - and you don't get much grittier than them. Admittedly they have been two of my better performing players. I had a great first season (as I seem to with every team I manage), then a terrible second season which was so bad I gave up half-way through and just went on holiday, and now in my third it's all going wrong no matter how much analyzing and preparation I put in before matches. It's an excellent game but it makes me very disillusioned sometimes...definitely a love-hate situation.

It's tough deciding which criteria to use when choosing players too...do I play my in-form players or my more skilled players? Do I try and exploit opposition player weaknesses or try and cancel out opposition player strengths? Or do I ignore the opposition completely and try and choose the best team for the match? Even without the depth of the PC version I find you can still get out of your depth in this game :p

• SI Staff

Second season slumps in all our games are often caused by people being 'cash happy' and bringing in vast wadges of new players and upsetting the balance of a team - any chance that might be part of the cause? (especially chancey at Newcastle as you've a fair few errr ... slightly temperamental players in your side).

Yeah I did buy a few players at the start of the second season...maybe that's the problem. It does seem like I've got too many players now. But if I sell some of them now will that fix the problem? Or should I start again? I haven't been choosing training schedules either so I'll start doing that. And can you get by without criticizing or praising players? I do that maybe once a month but I sometimes forget. Thanks for the help, this is the only game I know of where you can get help from and suggest features to the game developers! Out of interest is that "less highlights during a match" option going to be considered for FMH 09?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ianinuk:

Yeah I did buy a few players at the start of the second season...maybe that's the problem. It does seem like I've got too many players now. But if I sell some of them now will that fix the problem? Or should I start again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without more knowledge of your team its impossible to predict the exact effects of changes - if players aren't happy with competition for places then cutting down on the squad size will help, if its just that the new players have disrupted squad cohesion then try and find your favoured eleven and stick to it for a month or two and you'll find that things start to 'gel' again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And can you get by without criticizing or praising players? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can - I generally only do it for certain players where I've found it effective - if I get a 'Roy Keane' style player who plays best under pressure then I'll keep niggling him if he does badly and tell him he needs to improve for example (not a great tactic around contract renewal times but it does get the best out of that style of player on the pitch).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Out of interest is that "less highlights during a match" option going to be considered for FMH 09? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll be revisiting all aspect of the game for the next version but haven't finalised a feature set yet - once we have (and have implemented it so we're 100% certain its accurate) you'll hear about it on sigames.com as promptly as possible.

Thanks for the replies Marc! I got really annoyed with this game a few times and was convinced I was going to trade it in but I couldn't bring myself to do it in the end, so I'll definitely be carrying on playing, and will definitely be getting FMH 09 whenever it comes out!

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ianinuk:

Thanks for the replies Marc! I got really annoyed with this game a few times and was convinced I was going to trade it in but I couldn't bring myself to do it in the end, so I'll definitely be carrying on playing, and will definitely be getting FMH 09 whenever it comes out! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best of luck - let me know how you get on icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm a season on now and things have changed for the better big time...finished 3rd in the premiership and so qualified for the Champions League, and at one point was challenging for the title, and things are going well in the cups too. I basically did a Keegan and stuck with 433 with an attacking mentality, playing very good attackers and midfielders. Makes exciting matches too! I'm thinking that the most important thing in this game is to stick with a certain tactic even if you're losing, because eventually the players will start to get used to it and you'll get better results.

Archived