Compensation fee for 16 year olds

Jason Spearing a regen at Man City tipped to be next Gary Neville was available on "approach singing" which usually happens when you can buy a player on a free transfer. Before signing Jason £3million in compensation was agreed between I and Man City which may rise to £8million. Why do I have to pay such a large amount of compensation and why will it rise to £8million in the future?

That's the law, you have to pay clubs for buying young players, especially highly rated. The extra fee is likely to international appearances and other things.

It's to stop big clubs from raiding little clubs of their best players, or a deterent at least, as in real life a board probably wouldn't sanction a €9m move for a 15 or 16 year old.

You are probably better off making a transfer offer to the club, which could be a lot cheaper than the compensation.

True dat.

To the OP, this has been explained in detail in another thread yesterday. It's because of the new "youth-protection" system that was introduced in 08 (I think) that prevents big clubs from poaching young talents from small, poor clubs without compensation. Quite fair Imho. (And I usually play with United!)

Also depends on the reputation of the club. If you buy from Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barca etc. you would pay more. But if you paid for a young player in the lower leagues of Korea you'd pay less compensation, simply because of the reputation, even if the player is class.

Archived