Playing after re-booting computer

Has anyone noticed that if you're having a great run,

and need to come off your computer for a while it never plays the same as when you left it.

ie if you go a few games unbeaten and switch off your comp,start it up again and your players don't seem to play as well as they previously did.

However if you then turn it off then back on again it seems to be ok again.

Sounds confusing i know but has anyone else noticed a difference?

and need to come off your computer for a while it never plays the same as when you left it.

ie if you go a few games unbeaten and switch off your comp,start it up again and your players don't seem to play as well as they previously did.

Sounds confusing i know but has anyone else noticed a difference?

I'm not entirely sure and I may be totally wrong lol but I think I read somewhere on the forums that each time you load the game, the form etc is recalculated rather than continued and this may then affect the continuation of form and good runs etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blythgeordie:

Sounds confusing i know but has anyone else noticed a difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i totally agree with you i can't notice on fm 08 nor fm 07 this but on earlier versions it was obvious that you shouldn't quit if your on a winning streak

There was a big thread on this in FM07 last year.

Some of the SI people eventuality stated that turning the computer off should have no effect on your current form.

They came up with a whole load of random number generator and sequencing stuff that went completely over my head.

But the basic result was, that any one who thinks they are going to ruin their winning streak by turning the computer off and reloading is a only fooling them selves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

I'm not entirely sure and I may be totally wrong lol but I think I read somewhere on the forums that each time you load the game, the form etc is recalculated rather than continued and this may then affect the continuation of form and good runs etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember reading the exact same thing, from an SI person as well. It was for a much earlier game though, pre-CM4 iirc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Lambs:

But the basic result was, that any one who thinks they are going to ruin their winning streak by turning the computer off and reloading is a only fooling them selves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im a believer! I quite often play for hours longer than intended when Im winning cos I just know I will start losing after my PC has been turned off and on again. Either that or I just turn the monitor off and leave the game running.

I will happily fool myself to a league title!

i tried something last night.

Playing with Spurs and im onto my last pre-season friendly.

Ive saved the game on the kickoff day and ive set my team and tactics etc.

I played the same game 3times with the exact same instructions and i had 3 differnt results.

Game 1 won 3-0

Game 2 Drew 2-2

Game 3 won 1-0

Maybe there is a random factor of some sorts in the game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattyspurs76:

i tried something last night.

Playing with Spurs and im onto my last pre-season friendly.

Ive saved the game on the kickoff day and ive set my team and tactics etc.

I played the same game 3times with the exact same instructions and i had 3 differnt results.

Game 1 won 3-0

Game 2 Drew 2-2

Game 3 won 1-0

Maybe there is a random factor of some sorts in the game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Football is random by nature..players are not robots.

while fortunately matches are always different when played over and over, I have to agree with the original msg here. I am playing on 2 different computers and I have noticed that many times before, that a run sometimes seems to be stopped through some ridiculously bad performance immediately after swapping the save game to the other computer.

not a complaint or rant, just a confirmation that others have noticed this too icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wylergnu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Lambs:

But the basic result was, that any one who thinks they are going to ruin their winning streak by turning the computer off and reloading is a only fooling them selves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im a believer! I quite often play for hours longer than intended when Im winning cos I just know I will start losing after my PC has been turned off and on again. Either that or I just turn the monitor off and leave the game running.

I will happily fool myself to a league title! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said I agree with them, just that is what they stated as a fact. That is why my game thinks I have been playing for 37 days when I am only in the 14/15 season. I don't turn the computer off when I am on a winning streak.

Seems we are not alone in our beliefs and superstitions.

FM is officially not good for the environment, all that waisted electricity.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone noticed that if you're having a great run,

and need to come off your computer for a while it never plays the same as when you left it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the problem may be human

Whilst playing you are focused on your team, tactics, other teams tactics and ability etc etc. Once you have a break you can lose this focus hence the results when you start up again

It's just a mirage.

Some aspects of the game are calculated purely mathematically without any random element - these will be the same every time they are calculated. Other aspects of the game depend on pseudo-random numbers which are, to all intents and purposes as far as FM and gameplay is concerned, random. Anything that requires a random number to be used in its calculation will be different every time and whether you turn your computer off and restart or not will make no difference to that.

The fact that they are pseudo-random numbers means (I assume, I don't know the SI code obviously) that they will be produced in a big long string from a seed at the point you start the game and I assume the game never re-seeds the random number generator until it is closed and restarted, but the idea that you get a string of "good" or "bad" random numbers coming from that in any one session is completely bogus onless the game is programmed in a flawed manner. Random numbers from that sequence will be used for a whole variety of things within the game so even a string of consecutive high random numbers will not all just be used for something that could be considered "good" for your team.

Usually these kind of things are (unforetunately) all in the mind. For a long time a friend, I played networked CM3 at uni with, believed that if he hit his tactics button when the commentry was active (this is before 2d match engines) his opponent would score. He'd even keep pausing and un-pausing the game after he'd hit the tactics button to 'put off' the other team in some way.

I tried telling him that firstly it didn't happen as often as he thought. It was just that he always remembered when it did happen and not all the times that it didn't. The other contributing factor was that he generally hit the change tactics button when he noticed the game wasn't going his way and he needed to change something. They scored because of they were already taking charge and he just didn['t notice in time to change things.

Sometimes I stop playing for a little while because I'm not doing that well and I become frustrated. When I come back to the game I'm no longer frustrated and tend to manage the team better and we perform better.

Archived