American English

Hey everyone,

Does the UK version of FM include a language option for American English?

Are there any other differences between the versions?

I can't get FMM to work with WSM even though it says it is compatible.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

When using FMM, open it up and press the little black triangle in the top right corner. In there it will give you the option to compatability to the right game.

There isn't an American English option.

You notice a few differences when you first start playing but now that I've been playing a while I've accidently called the team trainers at baseball games physios when they come on to check out a player. My friends didn't understand and I had to explain how I was addicted to a football manager game, and then explain how I was very addicted to a soccer manager game so much so that I called it a football manager game.

Originally posted by Bardia:

Hey everyone,

Does the UK version of FM include a language option for American English?

Are there any other differences between the versions?

I can't get FMM to work with WSM even though it says it is compatible.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

As you say, WWSM was made especially for you folks who speak all wrong. icon_wink.gif

[Hey, I'm a British English teacher in an Amerikan university icon_eek.gif ]

British English? What are you on?

There are two types of English, three if you count Chav English. There are two, correct English, and in correct English. Correct English uses words like Football, a boot at the back of a car and way out! Incorrect English uses words like Soccer, trunk at the back of a car, and a commonly used incorrect English term, Exit! Thats the difference, none of this British English ****. English is from England. So there for it must be spoken correctly in England and incorrectly anywhere else. I feel strongly on this point and it angers me. I live in Ireland, so im constantly being told to speak a form of incorrect English like they do. They cant even count to three properly. its three not tree!

i think you probably find that he is british nationality and teaches english in an american university... not that he teaches a subject called british english... if he does then americans need a slap icon_razz.gif

Yes, Ryan, I agree with you, but since you want to make sure the English you speak is of the proper, English standard, then you should be writing "therefore" rather than "there for" and "incorrect" rather than "in correct".

I'm sorry, I just had to do it... icon_biggrin.gif

Living language is dynamic, so there is no way to call one correct and other wrong. Australian English and American English diverge from British English a few hundred years ago.

Anyway, I hardly understand why American football is called football here in America since they hardly use foot to play. I'd rather call it Armed Rugby.

Anyway, I select British English instead of American English because I can't take "Where's the passion, Boys?"

The proper American English should be "Where's the passion, Man?"

Lads > Boys, IMO.

There for might be wrong but incorrect is one word. Im sure my words are find, unlike my spelling. I think it was more understandable then some things the Americans say. And "where's the passion, man?". Hippy Manager 2008?

Originally posted by Macyst:

Anyway, I select British English instead of American English because I can't take "Where's the passion, Boys?"

Should it not be "Where's the passion, guys?" since that is the synonym in question - group of men. Guys is most definitely of an American origin. Using "Man" in this context sounds like you're a hippy. icon_wink.gif

Exactly, Hippy Manager would be "where's the passion, man?". Also azeri4life, i just noticed that you didnt use commas after using the inverted commas. Also i hate in modern english when people are talking in books people use ' instead of ". Very wrong!

Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

To be honest, what difference does it make? I wouldnt change it, a few differnt words cant make much of a difference.

It's not for words. It's because I can't get some things to work with it. And hearing it called "soccer" all the time really gets annoying.

When using FMM, open it up and press the little black triangle in the top right corner. In there it will give you the option to compatability to the right game.

It does it automatically for me- I have the newest version. It still doesn't work. It loads the database and I will find a player (or a club), but when I click on him (it) it will give me a data read error. For the record, I have NEVER been able to get FMM to work for me for ANY WSM game, even this one that says it's compatible.

And to clear up everything:

I want the English version that says football instead of soccer when referring to the game played on a green grass field with goalposts at each end with a center line, a big circle, and two penalty boxes surrounding the goals. I want the American English version that spells the word Centre "Center", Travelling "Traveling", and with z's instead of s's. I've already gotten into some bad habits at school with spelling things the British way since all I read for football are the BBC, Sky, and the newspapers over there.

And don't generalize us. Not all Americans speak incorrectly. icon13.gif

Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Macyst:

Should it not be "Where's the passion, guys?" since that is the synonym in question - group of men. Guys is most definitely of an American origin. Using "Man" in this context sounds like you're a hippy. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but I can't imagine any American coach worth his salt asking, "Where's the passion". Some more realistic alternatives"

"What the **** is the matter with you??"

"This team needs a heart transplant!"

"Goddam candy-asses!!"

"Excuse me, girls. Did the team come through here?"

Also i hate in modern english when people are talking in books people use ' instead of ". Very wrong!

No, I don't think so. In fact, I can't imagine what you would use instead of "instead of" (sorry, I couldn't resist). What does irritate me no end is "could of", which is probably someone phonetically taking a stab at "could've", the contraction for "could have". Now, that's very wrong.

Originally posted by gunnerfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

Also i hate in modern english when people are talking in books people use ' instead of ". Very wrong!

No, I don't think so. In fact, I can't imagine what you would use instead of "instead of" (sorry, I couldn't resist). What does irritate me no end is "could of", which is probably someone phonetically taking a stab at "could've", the contraction for "could have". Now, that's very wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It think he meant using a single apostrophe instead of double for a quotation. Don't think it makes a difference. Astonishing how many mistakes were in that sentence for someone on his high horse about use of language though! No capital for 'i' or 'english'?

I don't put "I", in capitals as I'm used to Microsoft Word putting it in capitals. Just my lazy attitude.

And to you Americans, remember to pronounce your t-u's and d-u's, and even d-e's properly. (As it's tuna pronounced choooona, duty, prononced jooooty, and dew, pronounced jew!)

I don't put "I", in capitals as I'm used to Microsoft Word putting it in capitals. Just my lazy attitude.

And to you Americans, remember to pronounce your t-u's and d-u's, and even d-e's properly. (As it's tuna pronounced choooona, duty, prononced jooooty, and dew, pronounced jew!)

That's like in House M.D. Where Cuddy (Cud-dee?) is said 'Cutty'. And in the new Indiana Jones film, his name is spelt 'Mutt' but said 'Mud'. What's the deal with that? I also realise this conversation is starting to have very little to do with football.

Well I did see the indiana Jones film. Bastard Aliens! Who was "Mutt",?

Shia LeBouef (is that spelt correctly?) He was the greaser and like, main character besides Indy. Where you even paying attention?

Was he Indy's son? Or the Russian woman?

And I think it should be Shia Le Bouef. Also on watching a television proggrame a man named Ludavic was pronounced just the way it was spelt not Ludavich like it would be in Serbian and the Balkan states.

The letter R should be only partially pronounced at the middle or end of a word, but fully pronounced in words that end with a short A sound.

Examples:

Rotor -> Roteh

Manchester -> Manchesteh

Toyota -> Toyoter

Champagne Supernova -> Champagne Supernover

I haven't read many of the posts in here, so apologies if it's already been said.

I don't see why both British English and US English can't be options in both versions.

My girlfriend (who is American) plays the game regularly with me, as well as having her own save, and while she uses the term "football", she finds the British spellings look a bit weird (which is fair, seeing as she's been brought up with American spellings), and would like to use US English in her own save file.

On top of that, we are both considering moving back to America some time in the next couple of years, in which case while I am fine with saying "soccer" when talking with some of her friends and family in my previous visits, I would prefer to have it in my regular tongue on my own save file.

I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be possible... any input from the SI guys (mans? :p) on this?

Soccer? To me it sounds like a slang term for kicking the crap out of someone! Not a game on a grass pitch with eleven men and a ball. I live in Ireland, i say football, they still know what i mean, despite them saying "the English have to be awkward". Even though only 3 of the 45 English speaking nations use soccer in their title and we invented the game, I think we should know what it's called.

Soccer? To me it sounds like a slang term for kicking the crap out of someone! Not a game on a grass pitch with eleven men and a ball. I live in Ireland, i say football, they still know what i mean, despite them saying "the English have to be awkward". Even though only 3 of the 45 English speaking nations use soccer in their title and we invented the game, I think we should know what it's called.

I believe soccer was derived from the term "Association football" and was mainly a slang word.

Originally posted by Scott1990:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

I believe soccer was derived from the term "Association football" and was mainly a slang word. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. Those wonderful English chappies that invented that word to differentiate it from 'rugger', which was effectively a different form of the same game at the outset.

All countries with their own form of 'football', be it American, Gaelic, Aussie Rules, whatever, refer to their own as football and football as soccer. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

As I have said before, I put my name as "Ryan", it put those commas there. Curse "Ryan", "Ryan,", and "Ryan,,"!

Also, I don't quite know why any of those sports are called football. They all involve using hands as much as feet, and American Football uses less kicking in a match than San Marino score goals. One San Marino goal made me happy though icon_biggrin.gif I curse Steven Ireland with the rath of Poseidon!

As I have said before, I put my name as "Ryan", it put those commas there. Curse "Ryan", "Ryan,", and "Ryan,,"!

Also, I don't quite know why any of those sports are called football. They all involve using hands as much as feet, and American Football uses less kicking in a match than San Marino score goals. One San Marino goal made me happy though icon_biggrin.gif I curse Steven Ireland with the rath of Poseidon!

Stephen.

Originally posted by goodzorr_avfc:

Well I did see the indiana Jones film. Bastard Aliens! Who was "Mutt",?

Shia LeBouef (is that spelt correctly?) He was the greaser and like, main character besides Indy. Where you even paying attention? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll assume, then, that the James Dean reference was completely missed...

It is sad that you would sit there and laugh at a child who is going mentally insane, I'm so mentally insane I watched a programme about humans being descended from Aliens!

And I don't support George Bush' fascist regime!

Seems to be a lot of ignorant people posting in this thread...

Anyway as for why sports are called football:

Football is the name given to a number of different team sports, all of which involve (to varying degrees) kicking a ball with the foot in an attempt to score a goal.

Also if you have ever watched aussie rules you will have noticed that it actually involves alot of kicking the ball and you may also be interested to know that rugby is also a type of football and just Americans call Association Football Soccer we call Rugby Football. Many sports end up being refered to in slang terms, for example:

-Soccer

-Rugby

-Aussie Rules

-Gridiron

-etc

Also there is not such thing as correct english only different variations of english. That said I much prefer British English to American English or for that matter Australian English (A thong down under is a sandle...)

Emm, how can you have British English? Didn't English originate in Britain, so therefore, it must be English we speak, not British English. As for Americans, I have noticed they laugh at Aussies by saying, "Put another shrimp on the baaaaabie", in an Australian accent. Enough Australians say Prawn not Shrimps.

I have come up with the conclusion that English is only correctly spoken by those who don't use any slang or words that come from American, e.g. Exit.

Sorry, that should be even though Australians say Prawn. Got mixed up and fused the words. I always think one word ahead of what I'm writing, hence missing out words or spelling them wrong.

I think the term is actually The Queen's English rather than British English.

As for slang words meaning someone isn't really English, we would have to say most of us don't speak proper English then. Perhaps modern English would be better terminology, I for one don't want to speak Chaucer-esque proper English icon_biggrin.gif

Back to the original post, is it a big deal to have an American English option? I'm not being arsey i'm actually asking.

Archived