I'm using neither,mines set to default.

Then your player instructions determine the setting - same as me.

I used to have my CB's man marking but then the opposition strikers allways seemed to score in recent FM's, so now I use the zonal marking system.

I used to do the same with my holding role aginst their playmaker but the same thing happened!

It depends on both the quality and the tactics of the opposition.

Zonal is generally pretty effective but man marking is a good option if the op has players you need to neutralize, but you have to be careful because some players will drag your markers away and leave huge gaps for midfielders to run into.

I generally use zonal, unless the opposition are playing a lone striker and then one CB can follow him around and the other cover the hole. But I've got a couple of quality CBs and a fabulous holding midfielder so I generally don't worry too much about it. I'm all about the 'score one more than you' approach!

used to use man marking when i preferred a standard 4-4-2 but since then i've switched to a flat 4-3-3 with a high d-line and constant pressing. I find zonal marking works much better for this formation/tactic

Man marking. To be honest I can't really tell the difference when watching the match, if any it's negligible.

with zonal marking the players fill in for one anothers zones. when i'm watching the match engine it gives a more fluid feel but it can be chaotic if the team has no understanding or stupid players. it's worth trying zonal marking in friendlies or on an experimental save just to see how it works with the way you like to set up your team. man marking seems more rigid and is really good for the lower leagues especially. if you play with a 4-4-2 and you are constantly coming up against teams who are playing the same then there is little point in using anything else

I prefer Man Marking but on this game it doesn't seem to matter. My defenders, even though set to 'Man Marking' and 'Tight Marking' always seem to give the opposition strikers to much time, space and room!

maybe they're just crap :D

Archived