half-time team talks can turn an ordinary player into superman

I searched - didn't find anything although this probably has been discussed before - if you say the right thing at half-time and get a player motivated or focused in your half-time team talk, they will become player of the match about 50% of the time with ratings of 8's and 9's. I think SI need to tone down the power of this (although it's fun when it happens to your player). At least this is my experience. Anyone else with similar results?

I used to do team talks but now I dont bother, apart from at full time to avoid my players becomming unsettled from lack of praise after a good victory. Never really experienced the 'superman' performances before. My assiatant report usually says they were not paying attention or something!!! :D

I've had a lot of situations that after my team talk my players are playing with confidence or fired up but even then they dont play much better than their attributes suggest so i dont think that they become supermans.

Share your wisdom then!

Just ordinary stuff I guess - when winning in a close game I'll say don't get complacent - I'll see at half-time a player gained focus - and of course, his final match rating will be like 8.4.

I'll say disappointing or sometimes angry when 0-0 at the half at home and 3 players will be inspired or fired-up, and get 8's.

I'll say pleased sometimes when winning 2-0 and assistant will say one of my players was inspired to a great performance.

Stuff like that

I've noticed that if a player scores a goal or gets an assist then you need to tell him 'you have faith' at half time. I've never seen a performance drop after saying this and quite often the player can go on to win the match for you single handedly.

That's the one.

"I have faith" does what "pleased" should do - "well done, keep it up."

I've noticed that if a player scores a goal or gets an assist then you need to tell him 'you have faith' at half time. I've never seen a performance drop after saying this and quite often the player can go on to win the match for you single handedly.

Doesn't always work though, as i've done it millions of times and it hasn't always done something.

That's the one.

"I have faith" does what "pleased" should do - "well done, keep it up."

The individual talk 'Pleased' works 9/10 times for me in this case and the player retains or ups his performance.

Here's another little tip to go with this. In "Split View" you can select to view your team's "Motivation" ratings. Which I do, at least at half-time.

Then you can choose an appropriate team talk to lift them up or keep them going as they are. Sometimes you will see "Player X is playing nervously", so you can set an individual talk for them, such as "No Pressure!" etc.

When two or three players are just "Playing okay", then I find that "You can make the difference!" is helpful, and motivate them to a better performance.

Sometimes a player will have a 5.8 rating for the first half, but when you check his motivation you will see that he is very motivated, so it just means he's been unlucky in the first half. That's when you might not want to slam him, but encourage him to keep at it.

Trial and error, see what works best with your players.

I've noticed this a lot in a few previous versions as well. Team talks can play just as vital a role as tactics and thats just not correct. And thats not even touching upon the fact that they are hard to understand.

I have the motivation tab open on the TV view; it's good for seeing how players react to your half-time talk, I find it useful as I can give an overall team talk, then specific ones to the players who are "Playing nervously" etc.

Archived