Premier League Fine

If i played an under strength team with a few key players left out in a premier league match, would i get fined by the premier league like wolves did not long ago ?

No I think this does not happen because on my chelsea save I did more than 6 changes against burnley and nothing happened :confused:

If i played an under strength team with a few key players left out in a premier league match, would i get fined by the premier league like wolves did not long ago ?

Why on Earth is there such a rule in the EPL??

In my opinion only the manager can decide who to pick, to fine the team for fielding a weaker side is nonsense. The only thing i can think of is that it happened because TV coverage.

It was ridiculous when it happened to McCarthy and it would be ridiculous if it happened in game. As a manager you should have the right to pick who you like.

The same thing wouldnt have happened if it was Ferguson, and thats probably due to a combination of his stronger squad and unfair influence over the FA.

It is a daft rule and the Wolves verdict has set a nasty precedent. Today West Ham have reported Fulham for the same thing. To answer the question about FM - as said, it;s not in the game. SI are always very careful to include any rule; however, in this case the decision re. Wolves was made after FM10 was released, and before that it wasn't known what the rule was. If it's in FM11 it would be a matter of docking it from your manager's wages which would be cosmetic if kinda funny, but I hope it isn't in.

this does my head in!! because managers are starting to you others managers selections as an excuse for their team being poor... but to be fair it would make it realistic if you got fined within the game. but why should McCarthy and Hodgson risk losing their key players to injuries in matches that they obviously don's see as priority!

It was ridiculous when it happened to McCarthy and it would be ridiculous if it happened in game. As a manager you should have the right to pick who you like.

The same thing wouldnt have happened if it was Ferguson, and thats probably due to a combination of his stronger squad and unfair influence over the FA.

In fact fergie did do it against hull city in the last game of last season. I know that we beat hull 1-0 but if had been the other way around, I doubt united wouldve been punished for it.

I hate this Premier league rule and hope its never implemented into FM. The manager chooses his team, if its a weakened one then so be it.

The fact it was Wolves is the reason they got fined though. If it was Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd etc then it wouldn't happen

In all fairness, it does question the integrity of the game or bring it into disrepute if say a manager throws 11 U18's out onto the pitch to play Chelsea or something, but the fact that rotating players is a major part of a team's success now makes it ridiculous, It's almost like the FA/Premier League are deciding what a teams strongest XI is and if it's not fielded then they should be fined.......

It is a daft rule and the Wolves verdict has set a nasty precedent. Today West Ham have reported Fulham for the same thing
To be fair, Fulham are suing West Ham for the Tevez shenanigans of a few years ago, so they're only getting their own back :p Though I'd find it hilarious if the FA decide not to punish Fulham, when Hodgson admitted in an interview that he was resting key players and deliberately fielding a weakened side :D
It's not just Fergie. Man Utd vs Hull last season (a game Man Utd won anyway) has already been mentioned, but Liverpool did it in two consecutive years in matches against Fulham (they won one and lost one, I think), despite protests from Sheffield United and Bolton for Rafa to field a strong side against their relegation rivals. I'm sure examples could also be found of Chelsea and Arsenal doing it, but I can't think of any off-hand.

Anyway, here's hoping common sense prevails and the rule is abolished for the 2010/11 season :) If it doesn't get removed then I can just picture Arsene Wenger being interviewed and getting asked about the absence of nine or ten of his first-team regulars and saying "Well, uhhhh, a number of first-team players have fallen ill, so they are not fit to play...we believe they will be able to return for the European game in three days, but we will see." :D

It's a bit like the mysterious injury just before an international break that the player recovers from straight after those games have been played.

While I would hate this rule to be implemented, I wouldn't mind seeing managers like Neil Warnock whine about anything - I mean - this. Imagine getting a message in your mail:

Neil Warnock fumes at x42bn6's squad rotation

Queens Park Rangers's Neil Warnock has slammed Watford's x42bn6 for making 11 changes to his squad which drew with Newcastle United.

Watford defeated QPR 4-0.

Neil Warnock, speaking to BBC Sport, raged that x42bn6 was not participating in the spirit expected of a fellow Championship side, and such an action threatened the integrity of the competition.

Your assistant has asked if you want to respond to Neil Warnock.

[ ] Suggest that Neil Warnock puts his tin-foil hat on and stops thinking of conspiracy theories

[ ] Suggest Neil Warnock concentrates on his own squad instead of yours

[-] Make no comment

[ ] Say rotation is part-and-parcel of the game

[ ] Admit you made changes to rest players for a more important fixture

The actual clause says that an EPL club must put out its strongest available XI in all EPL games. i. That's clearly unenforcable in any consistent way; ii. It looks like a clause inserted by SKY to assure viewer ratings. I repeat, along with the rest of you - I sincerely hope SI do NOT include this into FM11.

The actual clause says that an EPL club must put out its strongest available XI in all EPL games. i. That's clearly unenforcable in any consistent way; ii. It looks like a clause inserted by SKY to assure viewer ratings. I repeat, along with the rest of you - I sincerely hope SI do NOT include this into FM11.

I know of the rule and agree that it's farcicle to try and implement it, but what I'm saying is, who decides what the strongest XI is?

It's too easy to get around. A manager can just say the players left out have picked up knocks or are unfit. How are the league going to find out if it is a lie?

I know it's a double standard but the Fulham rotation is in my opinion perfectly acceptable. A team in Europe, or a much stronger team, rotating players against 'weaker' opposition I have no problem with.

It's too easy to get around. A manager can just say the players left out have picked up knocks or are unfit. How are the league going to find out if it is a lie?

I know it's a double standard but the Fulham rotation is in my opinion perfectly acceptable. A team in Europe, or a much stronger team, rotating players against 'weaker' opposition I have no problem with.

That's the thing - no one REALLY has a problem with it - regarding Fulham, even Zola is fine. It's his bosses the bongo merchants who are chancing it. They made their fortune being cheeky.

Cmozza - that's my point.

More than that, a manager doesn't have to claim they are injured at all. All it takes is a simple statement of "Based on the players form in training and my analysis of the opposition, this is the starting eleven that I feel have the best chance of taking three points from the game."

There is literally no counter-argument to that.

As a wolves fan I found the ruling ridiculous, but I also found it funny that before the Premier League decided to punish us many people were slagging us off and saying McCarthy had cheated supporters/made a mockery of the league/handing utd the title, whereas after the ruling most fans seem to be saying there was no reason for us to be fined. Basically, people didn't like it but didn't see how any rules had been broken enough to warrant punishment.

Even posters here, despite being broadly supportive, are assuming we had broke this ass of a law, but one player in the starting XI that day against ManU, Foley, has started every single game since and another, Mancienne, was named our MOTM against Arsenal yesterday in a couple of reports i've seen.

Hardly a 2nd XI, just all different than the team that beat spurs.

I also see Wham's gripes as poetic justice since they only stayed up a couple of years ago thanks to beating a vastly under-strength ManU side on the last day of the season.

Archived