He refuses to adapt his game!

Iam currently 3 seasons into FM with sunderland and we are doing great. I have built up a squad which has strength and depth and now iam focusing on my youth team. I have a 17 year old regen now and he is tipped to be one of the best players of his generation and looking at his stats i can see why, but there is something that realls bugs me:

He is a left sided midfielder and he has PPM's which are likes to break offside trap, cuts inside and trys killer balls. Now his PPM's dont suit the tactics i create and i kind of ruins the shape of the team if i decide to play him. So the obvious thing to do would ask him to stop performing the PPM's and so i decided to interact with him and ask him to stop doing these things.

The player then responds by saying the he doesnt see the benefit of adapting his game :confused: now iam fairly annoyed not only because it is MY desicion if it benefits him or not and it is MY job to point out what is the best for the player and the team but also it will be a waste of a future star, simply because he doesnt fit in the my tactics.

So my question is:

1. Are there any tips in getting players to retrain the PPM's ? if so how?

Iam also hoping SI tweak this feature because it really fustrates me.

Rant over :D

Adapt your tactics to fit the future star then. Or sell him for mucho ££ ;)

Something i noticed when trying to get people to learn new PPMs is it seems to relate to their stats. Example i like my wingers to run with ball often, but winger X didnt want to learn it, and i noticed his dribbling stat was only 14, yet winger Y did learn it and his dribbling was 17. Both had the same personality and positions.

When it comes to things like this, it sohuld always be 'I'm the manager, do as I bloody tell you!!!'

Sir Alex wouldn't take any of this rubbish.

Trust me, it doesn't work like that.

I play as a keeper for Clevedon United, a semi-professional team in South West England.

One of my habits has always been punching from corners and a lot of crosses, rather than catching the ball. I have been asked many times to stop doing so by my manager and each time I have worked hard on it in training, and each time, I become quite good at catching rather than punching in training, but when I play a match I revert back to punching because its what I am more used to and when I don't have time to think its what I do.

I have worked hard on it over the past 2 years but when I am under pressure and don't have time to think, I go back to my old habit of punching the ball.

It is nowhere near as easy as you think to change your habits.

I understand failing to change, I accept when my players fail to change, its when they say they don't see the point in changing, especially when the PPM is arguing with officals or diving into tackles.

Not getting sent off for dissent and not hacking players down and getting sent off would help their game.

I will have to agree with the player for two reasons.

1) It would be weird if they changed positions and play style any time we asked them. Imagine asking a striker to do certain CB things and he agreed.

2) At the end of the day, all this world build around football is actually built around players. They are the core of it. They are the stars. So as far as I am concerned we are just the ones obeying to them and not the opposite

I think what i will end up doing is selling him and hopefully making a nice amount of profit. Perhaps it isnt as easy to change there habbits afterall but i would atleast like them to make the effort rather than just say "i dont want to change"

Trust me, it doesn't work like that.

I play as a keeper for Clevedon United, a semi-professional team in South West England.

One of my habits has always been punching from corners and a lot of crosses, rather than catching the ball. I have been asked many times to stop doing so by my manager and each time I have worked hard on it in training, and each time, I become quite good at catching rather than punching in training, but when I play a match I revert back to punching because its what I am more used to and when I don't have time to think its what I do.

I have worked hard on it over the past 2 years but when I am under pressure and don't have time to think, I go back to my old habit of punching the ball.

It is nowhere near as easy as you think to change your habits.

As stated previously, this is not you refusing to adapt your game, this is you simply being unable to overcome your habits. The young 17 year olds in the game who simply refuse to attempt any sort of adaption are rather unrealistic.

Archived