Expenditures

I am currently managing Port Vale in 2016 playing in PL and in the Euro Cup. I am making loads of money, but my expenditures are very high as well. What is frustrating me is the amount of money being spent on "Others" and "Non-football costs". Together I spend £2m on this every month. This is ridiculous amounts I think, especially as these were very low while playing in other leagues.

I did a comparision with my brother playing as Swansea in PL in 2012. His costs are much lower than mine. I would love to know the differences between these teams, because its really frustrating to see money going away and not being able to understand where they are going. Its not like getting promoted to PL means a 400% increase in Non-football wages. These wages are almost as high as the football/staff wages. Not very realistic I guess?

Could someone please explain to me what these costs are linked to? Would love it if SI could comment as well.

Other costs are traveling maybe, especially if you play in Europe normally it takes lots of money for a 30+ people to travel, stay in hotels, eat, etc :)

Not to mention that footballers are sometimes ballerinas they want better and better treatment.

I lose money in the PL with 300k wage budget and 23000 big stadium. Should not be losing due to TV money, but I am. It is just really frustrating because I do my best to stay healthy economically and my board/execs are ruining my plan. I know it it not my job to control these, but these costs are just way to high. £1m in wages for non-football staff every month! Greedy execs!

£1m in wages for non-football staff every month! Greedy execs!

You mean coaches, scouts. If you need them than probably you have to keep paying them hefty money.

My advice if you don't want to sell players is to stick with your game and try to catch Champions League there you'll get more money that you can spend :)

Those costs are irritating as you have no control over them.

I've just added manager to Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, and Liverpool in my current game. It's currently March 2016 and they paid out a lot more then you did in the 2014/2015 season.

Chelsea

Non Footballing Costs: £35.5m

Other: £4.6m

Man Utd

Non Footballing Costs: £35.0m

Other: £6.6m

Arsenal

Non Footballing Costs: £39.0m

Other: £8.6m

Liverpool

Non Footballing Costs: £32.4m

Other: £6.2m

Looking at a random team, they were only paying £6m for each. So I'm not sure what exactly causes the Non Footballing costs to sky rocket but it effects all the top teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please elaborate on this...

Im paying 4.5 million a month in non footballing costs. In 1 season it went up from 1.5 million to 4.5 million. I havent got a clue what on at all. My staff wages are less then a million a month so where is it all going??? Its really crippling my club.

Welcome to the club guys. I had a finance thread made not too long ago and was wondering the same thing about the non-football costs. I managed to take West Brom to 4 consecutive CL titles and 3 consecutive EPL titles only to find that my club had become financially unstable. This was not due to player or staff wages, nor was it due to too much activity in the transfer market, but it was because of these mysterious non-football costs.

What I do at Rangers, is sell players for installments over 48 months. As much as possible, obviously. That way, I am bringing in extra per month than normal and it seems to calm my fluctuating finances down. If you sell a few players this way, you're creating yourself a new monthly income to try and combat the expenses.

I don't want to be a selling club but spending £1m a month on matchday expenses alone forces my hand until we can afford a new stadium to hopefully be more efficient than our very old Ibrox.

What I do at Rangers, is sell players for installments over 48 months. As much as possible, obviously. That way, I am bringing in extra per month than normal and it seems to calm my fluctuating finances down. If you sell a few players this way, you're creating yourself a new monthly income to try and combat the expenses.

I don't want to be a selling club but spending £1m a month on matchday expenses alone forces my hand until we can afford a new stadium to hopefully be more efficient than our very old Ibrox.

This along with TV Money and income from the Champions League is what keeps my head above water at the moment. Even if I get over 5 mill from players sales every month due to monthly payments it's still a balancing act to make a profit each month due to the non-football costs.

In October 2022 I lost almost £8 mill, and half of that comes from Non-football costs. (Granted I only made 2 mill on players sales that month.)

So far this season (22/23) I've spent £19 mill on non-football cost (I'm in November.)

Last season I spent £34 mill.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that and it's probably accurate. But I would like to know what I'm actually spending money on?

Non footballing costs are things such as office staff payments, programme printing, travelling and accommodation.

You may notice that bigger clubs (Chelsea, Utd etc), have a much larger non-football expenditure than say the likes of Hull and Wolves.

This is down to the fact that -

They probably need more office staff, thus increasing the amount they spend on their wages.

They get bigger attendances, therefore needing to print more programmes and thereby increasing expenditure.

They tend to travel via plane and stay in hotels the night before a game which means that it costs them more to travel, and because their players expect high standards of accommodation they have to pay out for better hotels.

I think anyway :D

The "other" cost is supposed to cover travel and "other" costs. If you keep you mouse over "non-footballing costs" it says: Non-player wages. And it would anyway be way to high. It is definately linked to your wage for players and staff which I think is wrong. £40m a year....why!! :(

The "other" cost is supposed to cover travel and "other" costs. If you keep you mouse over "non-footballing costs" it says: Non-player wages. And it would anyway be way to high. It is definately linked to your wage for players and staff which I think is wrong. £40m a year....why!! :(

'cause your directors, secretary, washing personel and so on are some greedy bastards...:D

I'm sure that scouting costs come under that heading. Sending 13+ scouts out around the world is damn expensive in travel and hotel costs. It's why clubs in general employ scouts that live in South America or Asia rather then the way FM does it.

I'm sure that scouting costs come under that heading. Sending 13+ scouts out around the world is damn expensive in travel and hotel costs. It's why clubs in general employ scouts that live in South America or Asia rather then the way FM does it.

You can build small hotels all around the world with that money :) there must be a better explanation.

Manchester United had to sell Ronaldo for 90m, you think they are willing to spend half of it back in a year just for scouting.

I wonder why SI does not give insight on these kind of obvious questions

Well it's not all scouting costs, a certain amount is. The only real problem is that there is no breakdown of the expenditure so you can't see if it is something you can do anything about. There are probably a hundred different things included in that category and most you can't do anything about so they didn't think it was important giving you the exact info.

I would doubt any of it is scouting costs. On my West Brom save I mentioned above I have a lackluster scouting network (only 2 out and about iirc) and my NFC are still through the roof. The programmes printed out for match day, you'd think the gate receipts would far outweigh this expenditure.

As for traveling accommodations, I could see this costing a fairly high amount of money but I just don't see it costing £35-40m a season when coupled with other expenses. On top of that my West Brom team's non-football costs was relatively low in my first season qualifying for the Champs. League, which means I was playing all the same competitions as the other top Prem. clubs, but my costs were most likely much less.

currently at valencia, champs league every year, scouts literally everywhere, 4.5 million player wages and 1 million staff wages a month but only 900,000 non-football costs per month, not sure how i've kept them low but it sounds like the EPL may be the problem.

thought letting you know this might help decipher what is causing the high costs

• 9 months later...

i totally agree that SI needs to specify these non-footballing costs. So we can prevent/save in certain areas, being Arsenal winning almost every game it is still very tough to balance the economy looking at month to month.

• SI Staff

Non-footballing costs (Amount of non-football staff wages paid out by the club) are primarily wages for staff employed by the club that are not directly football-related personel. This includes everyone else apart from players and the individual footballing staff modelled in the backroom staff, ie. coaches, scouts and physios). Naturally at the bigger clubs and at higher levels of football, the amount of office staff, PR staff, equipment staff etc. required by the club shoots up as do the costs.

Note that these costs include the wages/compensation of the board members (chairman, directors) as well, which alone can be very high especially at rich clubs.

There is nothing the manager can do about these costs as these are non-footballing costs and the manager only deals with the footballing side of things, whereas the non-footballing costs are controlled by the board.

One final note: You cannot view the state of your finances only by looking at the month to month profit/loss. Most clubs get a bulk of their income early on in the season (season tickets, sponsors etc) and at the end of the season (prize money etc.) whereas the expenditure usually stays much more constant over the season, due to most of it being weekly/monthly wages being paid out. This means that even clubs that turn a big profit after each season, usually end up losing money in a lot of the months during the season since their income is not constant but bunched up.

Archived