How to speed up FM

I have over 6 gigs of ram, its a beast, but since i got this lovely machine a year ago, the speed of which FM went at first was as smooth as anything. now its taking ages to precoess, and ave over 400gigs of free space. especailly since the 10.3 patch

Regardless of PC specs, closing any background applications/utilities will help to speed it up.

As previously said, do a scan for anything malicious, as well as de-fragging your HDD.

Uninstalling anything you don't use as well could help, also anything you don't need to start up (MSN, AIM etc etc), stop it from starting upon the computer being turnt on using msconfig.

And whilst you're in msconfig (if you're using Vista), click the boot tab in msconfig, and select advanced options. If "number of processors" is unticked, and you're able to tick it then do so and turn on the rest of the cores in your processor. I'd imagine its the same for Windows 7

Try cleanup mate i have an Amd phenom ii x3 720 with 4 gb ddr3 ram and when I load all the available leagues it goes pretty well considering the amount of data is processed.

Don't forget that not only Ram is important, processor speed, front size bus, hard disk speed etc

If you have an anti-virus running at the same time as fm (in the background) then make sure that you set it up to ignore any folders that the game uses as this can slow things down a fair bit i've found. You could also download and install something called game booster which should help a bit. Its a free program that will temporarily disable all unneed process that are running in the background.

Post your specs and you might get better help. It might be that your running too many leagues for your spec of computer.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, you're looking for GAME BOOSTER. It turns off background applications to free up more memory for playing FM. It really works too. Google it and download - it's a small file and easy to install.

You are a legend thanks. I've been looking for this to get for my laptop and I've now found what it is. Thank you.

I have over 6 gigs of ram, its a beast, but since i got this lovely machine a year ago, the speed of which FM went at first was as smooth as anything. now its taking ages to precoess, and ave over 400gigs of free space. especailly since the 10.3 patch

What OS are you running?

If you have a 32-bit OS the last 2 GB's goes to waste because you can only use 4 GB RAM efficiently

Try upgrading to 64-Bit Vista or Win 7.

Though even with "only" 4 GB you shouldn't have a problem unless you have loads of playable leagues.

Archived